Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Reboot loop
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Reboot loop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plank0
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: TomTom Reboot loop Reply with quote

I've just updated my 720 with the new navcore via TomTom home, all was fine before as I was using a map on my 8 Gig SDHC card. Now the 720 will not see the card (or any card with a map on it) and just goes into a loop of booting up and then retarting to just loop round and restart again!.
If I take the card out all goes back to normal, nut if I copy the card (map) data over to the 720 from the card the 720 tells me that I can not use this map with my unit. Confused
Version 7.481 (9086/080324) OS:3024
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.4106
Western_Europe v710.1561
TT RDS-TMC: 4V00.010.2

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you copy the MapSettings.cfg file from the old map folder to the new one? if so delete this file and try switching it on again, an old MapSettings.cfg file in the new map folder is known to make the device go into a sequence of reboots - Mike
BrianCollison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Reboot loop Reply with quote

plank0 wrote:
I've just updated my 720 with the new navcore via TomTom home, all was fine before as I was using a map on my 8 Gig SDHC card. Now the 720 will not see the card (or any card with a map on it) and just goes into a loop of booting up and then retarting to just loop round and restart again!.
If I take the card out all goes back to normal, nut if I copy the card (map) data over to the 720 from the card the 720 tells me that I can not use this map with my unit. Confused

I had the same problem with my 520 mentioned under "Application updates" thread in the TomTom home section. Still not resolved yet.

Brian
RichardNash
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exactly the same problem, and posted a request to TomTom for some help

All they said is dont use favourites use POI's instead. And there is no method of converting the mapsettings.cfg to get it to work.

Well

After a hefty swearing session questioning the quality of TomTom support I did the following (Now bearing in mind I may have remembered this wrong

Leave the mapsettings.cfg file in the map folder on your tomtom

In TomTom Home use the Operate My device application.

This starts up your device using Home.

I then made a change to one of my favourites....may have just deleted my home location

The set it up again

Ejected my device and it started up correctly

I may have been lucky and maybe just starting the device in the Home Environment may have fixed it.

Hope this helps

R
BrianCollison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Endless reboots resolved Reply with quote

I finally got sorted, seems I had folders within folders within folders, which meant I had lots of duplicates of poi's and file fragments, I do not know how this happened, because I just extracted them to the United Kingdom folder, and to top it all I am checking my backups and finding .csv files & TLV files mixed in with ov2 files. So after deleting these files I found I got my internal memory back to normal. But strange thing is before all this happened I had version 8.010 but now I have version 7.48 .
So I don't what has happened there, I am mystified but at least it is working again, as for the new maps on sd card I couldn't sort that out, so I sent it back, they are going to take a look at it and maybe fix it, so just waiting for that to get sorted, and all this started with getting an Application Update from TomTom Home.
BrianCollison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Pocketgpsworld POI not showing on menu Reply with quote

More info, another problem, I copied and pasted poi's into united kingdom folder, when I look in the folder in Windows Explorer they are there, but when I look on my 520 all I can find is TomTom poi's and not pgpsw poi's, not had this problem before, anyone with any ideas?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a guess you have two different map folders present on the device and you have put the POI files in to the wrong map folder, you might need to use Change Preferences/ Manage Maps/ Switch Map to select which map should be active.
This is one of the problems associated with using a memory card with the device, if you don't spot which storage location Home intends to use you can end up with application and map folder duplication which can get confusing - Mike
BrianCollison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Maps and files Reply with quote

I have 3 UK files they are META DCT PNA what are they, are they the actual maps or something else, when I looked at my 520 it had 3 maps on the menu so I deleted one, and they are still there, but I have been looking in the folders to see what was there, and found the above files. Also when I was looking at the folders with the poi's in I was finding .csv files and TLV files mixed in with the ov2 files, I don't know how that has happened, so I started deleting them, the ov2 files were left there.
s3dbw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had something similar after a Navcore Upgrade, the machine got itself trapped in a continual boot and reboot mode. I eventually traced it to a couple of issues:

1. The system.dat file had got itself corrupted and I had no end of problems trying to delete the file. Eventually got rid of it by letting windows carry out a disk check whereby it found faults on the drive and corrected them allowing me to delete the file and then re-install new system.

2. Once I installed, I then found that it would boot if my map sd card was out, but as soon as I put it back in, it wouldn't boot. This was down the old problem of the map.cfg file.

Hope it helps

Regard
BrianCollison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: POI's Reply with quote

I found after all my trouble, when I used my 520, I found all the poi's in the folder but on the 520 itself half of them were missing, couldn't find anything beyond the letter 'P' each time I tried to install them in the UK folder they were there but not on the 520 menu, even the speed cameras appeared on one map but not the same one as poi's, also I did not get warnings for every camera, I did try to install them in the same place on the memory card, but all I got was half the poi's and no speed cameras, the cameras only appeared on the internal memory without the poi's, but the other mystery is why have I got version 7.481 and not version 8.010 which I started off with.

Well any way I have just got my new map back from Hyper Gear so I'll see what happens with that.

The mind boggles with all this.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you miight have accidentally done three things:
You've got two maps, one on the SD card and one on the internal memory, and you are getting confused which one you are using and which one you are adding the POI files to
You've got two versions of software, one on the SD card and one on the internal memory.
You've tried to add more then the maximum number of POI files allowes (192 at last count on v8 software.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: