Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Announces cf Que
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Announces cf Que
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And sadly it already appears to use a proprietary Garmin protocol which renders it innacessible by other 3rd party applications. Lacking an external antenna option plus this issue makes it a very poor option IMHO.
JGF116
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:

Garmin must have done their market research, though, and I suppose some people will buy systems just because it's Garmin.

David

well, i am considering buying either this product, or the ique - and i initially didn't want to buy another garmin.

in spite of frequent claims that that garmin are behind the times, they appear to have a complete lock on at least the cababilities that i want.

in particular, i would like to navigate on vector-based marine charts using a pda.

my strong preference is to buy a bluetooth gpsr, and use it with a pda. i was hoping that i could use the figawi enc software, which makes use of the enc vector charts that are freely available in the usa. but, it turns out that the figawi software requires that the enc vector charts be rasterized on a pc before being loaded on to the pda.

i guess garmin do not want to make a pda version of their mapsource program, so that the bluecharts (which i already own) can be used on a pda, because that will cannibalize sales of the ique and the cf que. this makes me believe that a bluetooth capability is not in the near future for any garmin handhelds - because they will then have to make available a pda version of mapsource so people can navigate on their pda's. but, if they do that, they will open up the possibility of people using non-garmin gpsr's to navigate with garmin bluechart cartography on pda's. i believe this is the impediment for garmin - they want to continue to force people to buy garmin hardware in order to use their cartography.

is there another source of vector-based marine charts that can be used on a pda?

jeff
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JGF116 wrote:
they will open up the possibility of people using non-garmin gpsr's to navigate with garmin bluechart cartography on pda's. i believe this is the impediment for garmin - they want to continue to force people to buy garmin hardware in order to use their cartography.

I agree that Garmin have their head up their backsides regarding their map licensing. I think they have a virtual monopoly on vector based charts. This is less of an issue now that memory is so cheap though.

You might want to try GPS Map Edit http://www.geopainting.com/en/ - I am not sure if it does blue charts though.
obarnes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: cf Que Software - Can it be used with another GPS? Reply with quote

Hi, any conclusions on whether the Garmin Que software can be used with another GPS source?, for example, I would buy the cf Que for the Euro maps and que software if it would work with a Mitac Mio 168 / Navman PiN for example? Any idea's? Question

Many Thanks,
Oliver
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this will work, I have tried standard apps against the cfQue GPS and these won't work as they are trying to use the Garmin Protocol. So my guess is that MapSource too will be utilising the same protocol and not NMEA so I wouldn't think MapSource would work against any other GPS Hardware.
Sincity
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am stuck....I like the functionality of Garmin software package but too bad from what I read on other sites it uses a proprietary protocol. I also like the Sysonchip with Poket Navigator, though the Garmin software seems more superior.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a shame that Garmin choose to lock their software to their hardware, but this is a business model they seem to prefer in stopping piracy and keeping market share.

Personally I think it will ultimately make them loose market share locking the software to the hardware, we've seen this done by many manufacturers who have eventually buckled due to lacklustre sales and decide to abandon this model, but for some reason Garmin still seem to stick at it.

I'm sure many Garmanite's out there who love Garmin products and have a PDA will go for the cfQue and I think that's why Garmin have brought this onto the scene, but I still think it's a mistake locking a PDA CF GPS with software. I can understand doing this on their handhelds to stop other software being used, but the handheld market is grocely different to the PDA market.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: