Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice wanted - Tom Tom Go 730
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice wanted - Tom Tom Go 730

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veloman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Advice wanted - Tom Tom Go 730 Reply with quote

There is so much information available that I don't know where to start looking for a new sat nav.

I keep looking at the TomTom Go730 anyone got one? Is it any good.

What extra subscriptions am I likely to have to pay out for?

I currently get the latest speed camera update from this site having subscribed to the PIO-Warner site when I first had my Medion PDA (The charger contacts are getting iffy - that's why I'm looking to change).

However the Go 730 has a speed camera database already installed. Does this get updated (and for free) or does it just become obsolete after a time?

Any other useful advice accepted including suggestions of other equal/better satnav's on the market.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading around the forum the 730 is an excellent device to go for. Once bought there are no extra subscriptions to pay for and you can use the superior PGPSW database on the device easily. TT database is not up to scratch.....

If you see one at a good price i'd go for it...
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veloman wrote:
There is so much information available that I don't know where to start looking for a new sat nav. .

Well you’ve come to the right place here at PGPSW because other people will (hopefully) reply as well and give their ideas.

Veloman wrote:
I keep looking at the TomTom Go730 anyone got one? Is it any good. .

I’ve got a TomTom Go 730T, which is identical to the 730 except that I got the traffic reciver as well which receives RDS TMC information that sometimes works and sometimes does not. The great thing about the RDS TMC unit is that it is free to use.

Veloman wrote:
What extra subscriptions am I likely to have to pay out for? .

As mentioned if you do go for the 730T then you won’t need to subscribe to the traffic subscription. If you just go for the 730 and you want traffic information you can either buy the RDS TMC unit separately or subscribe to the TomTom traffic system (but you do need a compatible phone with Bluetooth and will also be using GPRS).

Veloman wrote:
I currently get the latest speed camera update from this site having subscribed to the PIO-Warner site when I first had my Medion PDA (The charger contacts are getting iffy - that's why I'm looking to change). .

If you already subscribe to the PocketGPSWorld camera database then you’re able to immediately download the version for the TomTom units, for no extra charge.

Veloman wrote:
However the Go 730 has a speed camera database already installed. Does this get updated (and for free) or does it just become obsolete after a time? .

The general consensus of opinion (in this forum) is that the TomTom database is no way near as good as the PocketGPSWorld camera database. However, please try the TomTom one against the PGPSW one and hopefully you’ll agree.

Veloman wrote:
Any other useful advice accepted including suggestions of other equal/better satnav's on the market.

If you buy a new used or genuine factory refurbished 730/730T then the first thing that you should do is Backup, Backup, and Backup. Er did I remember to say back it up? Seriously you must not backup via TomTom Home, use MS Windows Explorer to copy the entire folders and files to a new folder on your PC.

The second thing to do is to connect to the PC and ensure that you have the latest version of TomTom Home running.

The Third thing is update the application to the latest version (currently 8.302)

The fourth thing is to use the Latest Map Guarantee within 30 days of starting to use your 730 to ensure that you have the latest map.

By the way make regular full backups before you make any changes to the Application or the Maps.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could save yourself a small fortune by getting a 720 refurb while they are still available, latest software and map upgrades are all free and the device will cost around £100 less than the 730 - there is no difference between an up to date 720 and a 730 apart from the menu colour scheme, see Here - Mike
Veloman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Or you could save yourself a small fortune by getting a 720 refurb while they are still available, latest software and map upgrades are all free and the device will cost around £100 less than the 730 - there is no difference between an up to date 720 and a 730 apart from the menu colour scheme

Thanks for that, but it doesn't have the traffic update facility does it?

Doh, just realised that I didn't put the "T" after 730 in my original post.

Having said that I haven't got TMC with the Medion so could probably live without it.
Veloman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Just found this on the site you mentioned - www.totalpda.co.uk/TomTom/TomTom-GO-520-refurbished.7373.html

Virtually same price at Argos which is local to me.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001501&productId=1500333321&langId=-1&engine=froogle&keyword=TomTom+GO+720+Europe

But I don't understand these comments in the Argos details -

Plug and play traffic with optional TMC

Optional warning when exceeding recorded speed limit, if available from mapdata.

If I buy it from Argos brand new rather than from TotalPDA which is a refurbished unit, will it have or allow me to download the very latest maps? Will there be anymore "hidden" payments for subscriptions?

I trust I'll just need to register with PIO-Warner and then be able to use the excellent database from this site.

Any comments?
Veloman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Or you could save yourself a small fortune by getting a 720 refurb while they are still available, latest software and map upgrades are all free and the device will cost around ?100 less than the 730 - Mike

Well I took your advice and bought a refurbed 720 from TotalPDA.

Nightmare!

I had it for four days and spent two days trying to get it to either switch on or off but it wouldn't do them as normal. Tomtom support was reasonably helpful but in the end I sent it back.

I now believe that they go back to be repaired and refurbed for a reason and not all are "cured" before being resold.

I'm now going for a new Go 530 and hope that it behaves itself straight from the box.

TotalPDA were excellent and didn't quibble about it being returned.

By the way will I be able to "update" it the same as I was meant to do with the 720 to 730?
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad got a Go 730 last summer. Has had to send it back to TomTom twice due to faults, both times ge got a replacement. First time the screen went off and wouldnt come back on again. Second time it failed to be recognised in the USB ports of any computer. Resetting didnt help.

It's a good sat-nav but I'm a bit concerned about reliability.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> SatNav User Reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: