Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 2210 Micro SD card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 2210 Micro SD card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nalagnik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Navigon 2210 Micro SD card Reply with quote

I have used "Fresh" to download the most up to date Maps from the Navigon website and I have downloaded them to a Sandisk Micro SD card inserted in a card reader. Up to this point all went just fine and using Windows Explorer I can see that all the folders and files are in place in the Micro SD card and all would appear to be in place. However on inserting the Micro SD card into the Navigon 2210 I can't see any instructions as to how to access these new files. The user manual does say " The NAVIGON 12xx|22xx can access both internal and external memories " but does not tell you how. Question
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.4.3 of the manual implies that the main map is in internal memory and that you use the microsd for additional maps - I would guess that the card might be checked for an address which is specified in an area not on the main (internal) map. Maybe you need to install the map upgrade to the unit itself for it to be recognised.

See if the microsd map file is recognised when you connect the unit back to the PC with the card in.
nalagnik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying. Navigon Support haven't as yet. The 'Fresh' program reported that there was insufficient memory (70mbyte left) in the Navigon 2210 to upgrade the maps (Q3 2008) to Q1 2009. As the Satnav is only weeks old I did want not to remove any maps to make room so I purchased a 4gb Sandisk Micro SDHC card to put the updated maps on, which 'Fresh' did OK. I can 'see' all the updated files on the card using a card reader and PC. But the 2210 doesn't even 'see' the card. The card IS pushed in fully and clicks. I have tried a hard reset of the 2210 with the card in. I have ( after seeing others having card reading problems ) re formatted and reloaded the files on the card using native FAT32 and FAT but still the 2210 say's there is no card inserted. As there doesn't appear to be anything left to do until 'support' decides to reply, I shall just have to do without the map upgrade which is a pity as it's offered 'free' for 30 days. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume you can do a full PC backup of the installed map data and programs with the 2210 (in case you needed to do a restore later)? If so, you could then (after the backup!!) presumably delete the existing map from the unit to provide enough room for Fresh to load the latest version (unless it will only do the update if the old map is still on the unit?). On the 8110 (which does store the system/maps on the card rather than the unit) I was able to create a new setup on a new SD card by doing a restore operation.

If you can do this before your 30 days are up, you can then sort out the card problem separately.

Obviously the two units aren't the same - maybe someone who has a 22xx model can be a bit more definite.

Additional thoughts - on the 2210 is there a choice with the restore function of doing it to a card or unit, or just to the unit? Although the 2210 doesn't see the card, does the PC see it when the unit+card is connected?

MIND YOU - it seems rather suspicious to me that Fresh is unable to load an updated Europe map onto a new Europe model - unless you've added a lot of additional files, I wonder how on earth it can be too small already! What with that and being unable to see a normal card, I wonder if the unit is actually faulty??
nalagnik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you are right in that as I have already done a backup I could delete the existing maps then there would be room for the new ones. However as I am off to Spain on Monday and the 2210 will of course be needed I can't afford to have it go down! and that was the reason for using an external memory card and not interfere with the mapping system. It's annoying but as Navigon Support are not going to answer before I go I'll just have to leave it for now and try things like you've mentioned when I get back.
Is the Sandisk SDHC card faulty ? I don't think so as I can read and write to it using a card reader and 'Fresh' or my PC and Vista.
Is the 2210 faulty ? It's unlikely it would have to be the 2210's card reader contacts bent or broken, I can see them OK with an eyeglass through the SD port at the side. I am of the opinion that the user manual description of how the external memory is accessed is not fully described or Navigon may not intend us to use the SD port and it is disabled in the bios. It's been an interesting but so far fruitless excercise and I feel rather frustrated but saying that I think the 2210 is still a very nice little box !
Roy124
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one simple thing that might work.

Now I am not talking your 2210 but MN7 as is.

When I have updated my SD card Fresh tells me that I must select the map.

I do this from the initial sceen Show Map etc.

Select Options - Settings - Map and on page 2 it shows Europa Q1 2009.

Now when I first installed the map it offered Q4/2008 which of course had been overwritten and Q1/2009. Now it just offers the Q1 map. Try something like that.
nalagnik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to try and help ( with the exception of Navigon 'support' who as yet have not responded). I'm away for a few days but on my return I will try some of your suggestions. As I explained earlier I do not want to make any changes to the mapping as I need the 2210 to guide me around on strange roads.
Regards
alfajerry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit basic, i know, but is the Navigon unit compatible with the SD *HC* card?
Some electronics manufacturers are a bit slow on this.
nalagnik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Problem solved on return from Spain. Reply with quote

On return from Spain there were two emails from Navigon support re my problem. One email said just insert the SD card and the system will see it, and the other said I would have to do a soft reset. I had already explained the steps I had done but they were ignored. The answer was just to be a bit more aggressive so that after the card was inserted and card lock clicked the card projected about 1mm proud of the slot. An additional push on the card till it stopped was the answer even though the card is now approximately 2mm below the slot and bingo the 2210 'sees' the card. For future reference the card is a Sandisk Micro SDHC 4gB Class 2. It is formatted as FAT32 with a 32k cluster which I re-formatted using Panasonic SDformatter.exe program. This saga all came about because I had just purchased the 2210 which came with a Q3 2008 mapset of 40 countries as default. You get 30 days to update the maps for free to Q1 2009 mapset but Navigon Free program stopped updating and announced that there was insufficient space for the update. That is why I purchased the 4gB SDHC card and the problem occurred. I re-ran Navigon Free with the Card inserted and the map update went like a charm. The end result now is that SDHC card has the United Kingdom.map placed on it by the Free program. Smile Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: