Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What would you suggest? - Speed cam detector hidden from vie
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What would you suggest? - Speed cam detector hidden from vie
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pghstochaj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: What would you suggest? - Speed cam detector hidden from vie Reply with quote

Hi everybody, looking for some of your expert advice if possible please.

I have a car with built in sat-nav so my old tomtom now just sits at home. Like most inbuilt sat navs it does not have cameras installed, but since I am very pleased with how it works generally, I refuse to use my tomtom as a second device.

However, I frequently have to go to weird and wonderful places in the UK for work and as such, I want to mitigate against being caught out. I don't speed (how many people must say that all the time...) but it's for that one occasion where a mistake is made that I need to avoid.

I want to buy a speed camera detector that can be installed underneath my dash, remain audible (but not seen) and then connected using an external antenna for GPS. I have a nasty dislike of any gadgets anywhere on view after my car was broken into, hence the hidden option is what I am aiming for.

Could anybody please advice any units that they are aware of which would be able to match my requirements?

Thanks in advance.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked last year for such a unit to use with the PGPSW files, but could not find one.
pghstochaj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
I looked last year for such a unit to use with the PGPSW files, but could not find one.

Thanks for that, it's a shame.

However, I feel that I don't need the accuracy of the PGPSW database (as much as most would argue that the database if the most important thing); more that I would like something that matches where I want to install it etc.

Seems odd to me, I would have thought devices that can be hidden would be very popular.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which TomTom device have you got? Depending upon the device it should be possible to put the TT in the glovebox and still get warnings that you can hear in the car via an aux speaker - Mike
pghstochaj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Which TomTom device have you got? Depending upon the device it should be possible to put the TT in the glovebox and still get warnings that you can hear in the car via an aux speaker - Mike

Tomtom XL (the last version, not the "slim" version). I want something that I can leave in the car without fear of it being stolen - hence it would go under the inside of the dashboard rather than the glovebox.
pghstochaj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Just realised that it doesn't have an auto power on, just off.
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame that development of the PGPSW detector has been put on ice - suspect it would do what you and many others of us want ..........??? Wink
pghstochaj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help so far everybody.

Am I right then in guessing that nobody can advise any unit for my purpose? I would use my tomtom but without an automatic on, it won't work exactly for my purpose. I would consider the inforad, as it seems to be a reasonable option for this.
ringdoby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the pogo alert not fit your requirements, or even an old B2 from ebay?
pghstochaj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ringdoby wrote:
Does the pogo alert not fit your requirements, or even an old B2 from ebay?

Thanks for the reply.

Possibly; I shall look into them. Each one I find seems to have something not exactly like I want, however, any that fit the bill cost a lot more than I would have thought it was worth, especially compared to cheaper ones that just happen to miss one thing out (i.e. external aerial connection).
pghstochaj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very interested in an old Origin B2 but i saw that the update cost is £50 a year, I think that is excessive Sad
ringdoby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£50/year may seem excessive when compared to the PGPSW database, but the origin/ pogo devices are directional; if the camera isnt relevant to the direction of your travel, it alerts you that a camera is present, but not a concern to you at this time. If the camera is bi-directional, then it assumes that it is relevant, and alerts you accordingly.

I used a b2 for several years until I went to a satnav system with the PGPSW database. The constant unneccessary warnings got tiresome, and I stayed with the b2 until I replaced the satnav and b2 with a pogodrive.

I have been using the pogodrive now for almost 18 months. The satnav function leaves a lot to be desired, but the SCD and database is faultless.

I bought this as a trade-in for my b2, I had the choice of the drive for £200, or the alert for £175. Given the choice again, I would have gone for the pogo alert, but I do not regret giving origin technologies my money

I now tend to use the pogodrive in safety mode (camera detection only), whilst I search for a new satnav.

£50 is less than £1/week over a year
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ringdoby wrote:
£50/year may seem excessive when compared to the PGPSW database, but the origin/ pogo devices are directional;

As is ours if used with a device that support directional info in POIs Smile
pghstochaj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the idea of £1 a week is relevant, it's still £50 a year to pay out - maybe I just don't drive enough to make it worthwhile.
ringdoby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
ringdoby wrote:
£50/year may seem excessive when compared to the PGPSW database, but the origin/ pogo devices are directional;

As is ours if used with a device that support directional info in POIs Smile

I didnt realise that your database was directional, I used it with a garmin i3 a few years ago.

Can any Garmins utilise directional POI's? I tried a TT1v2 to replace the i3, it lasted about 3 weeks before I passed the TT on to the wife and went back to the i3.

Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: