Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Category issue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Category issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surfer01
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Category issue Reply with quote

I have a TT Classic with a 2GB SD card. I do not have a problem downloading POIs etc and can find them on the unit however the POIs are all over the place and I would like to categorise them, i.e place all the ATM locations under new categort ATM, all fuel stations under Service Stations and then sub categories, i.e Sehll servcie stations, Texaco Servcie stations etc, , all caravan club CLs under CC CLs instead of them being individualy shown, i.e you need to know the name to find it or you have top scroll forever to find it by distance etc.
Unfortunately when viewing it under MS XP Home "Explore" one cannot see the categories to cut and past them into the appropriate category.
Can any one advise if it is possible to categorise POIs on a TT Classic.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a word, you can't. But I don't understand why you think they are not organised? If you downloaded Shell Petrol Stations for example they would be in a category called Shell Petrol Stations?

Or have you combined a whole bundle of POIs into one category before downloading?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't "nest" the POIs into categories and sub-categories, but you can combine several categories into one and have the names help to sort them.

For example, if you download a combined "Fuel" category from this site, you can then search for e.g. just "Shell" stations closest to you.

If you have POI files from elsewhere that you want to combine, you can use POI Edit to rename the entries and merge the categories together.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
You can't "nest" the POIs into categories and sub-categories, but you can combine several categories into one and have the names help to sort them.

For example, if you download a combined "Fuel" category from this site, you can then search for e.g. just "Shell" stations closest to you.

Ah, NOW I understand! I confess that hadn't occurred to me Embarassed
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps to get the idea, here are the notes that I have to use to remind myself how I download/combine the categories I use ... Rolling Eyes

Quote:
For some (like Pubs) you have to be clever in whether you use the "combine while downloading" feature AND/OR you use POI edit to merge the categories in order to get the names you want.

For example:
Merging as you download is good for Elec. shops, as it puts the company name at the front.
But doing it with pubs and dining pubs puts "pub" at the front of everything (which you don't want!).

ELEC SHOPS:
Comet
Currys
Currys Digital
Maplin
PC World
- Download combined.

DIY:
B&Q
Focus
Homebase
Wickes
- all combined...
and add (from Shopping / Other)
Halfords
(will then need POI Edit to merge the two)

FUEL
De-select all the Diesel and fuel card entries to avoid duplicates.
- then download combined.

PUBS
Download 'Pub'
Then:
'Dining Pub'+'Wetherspoons' TOGETHER
(will need POI Edit to merge with 'Pub') - use Dining pubs icon - it's nicest.

SUPERMARKETS
- Download all categories combined
Surfer01
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clicked on the appropriate category and then downloaded as seperate files. I then dragged and dropped it into the UK & Ireland map database as per the instructions for downloading the speed camera database.
When I click on the pub category, it lists all the pubs starting with the one "Pub" and then gives you the distance to that pub, however if you know the name of the pub no problem.
We caravan a lot and look for certain places, but at the moment I have to scoll through all the categories as it seems each file has created its own category.
In the download list, caravan parks is under "Associations" and not caravan sites, CLs camping etc and when i click on the category Caravan Club it is empty but I can ask for sites nearest to my home, but that restricts you to site within about a 20 mile radius. I need to go to the category Caravan Clubs, open it and then type in the name of the site and then search and request directions. At the moment I have to know the name of the site, input it and scroll until I come across it and then request directions.
This is the first time I have updated this TT classic in several years therefore I am not sure what i can and cannot do.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so what I think you need to do (for the Caravan stuff for example) is either:
1. go back and download them again, selecting/ticking all the ones you want to have in one category. Then select "Combine subcategories into category file"

or 2. Use POI Edit (from http://www.poiedit.com/ to combine the ones you have already downloaded (use "File / Open" for the first and "File / Append" to add the others, then "Save as.." with a new name).

Which you use will depend on which gives you the best names for each entry.

When you come to search for them on the TomTom, use the "Find" button in the bottom corner and you can add a few letters of the name to narrow the search. Although the list will only show the nearest 48 entries, the "Find" function will search ALL of the entire file, so will find a particular site hundreds of miles away if you enter enough letters of its name.

Finally, if you just want to change the name of an entire category, you can simply rename the .ov2 file (and accompanying .bmp icon file) in Windows to be whatever you want.
So "Associations.ov2" and "Associations.bmp" could be renamed by right clicking on the files on your PC, to become "Caravan_Sites.ov2" and "Caravan_Sites.bmp" before you upload them to your TomTom.

Have another crack at it, and if you still have problems, tell me exactly what categories you want and how you want them presented and I'll see what I can do...
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Tyre to achieve a similar result.

Download the Association category combined so you have a POI file with the subcategory as part of the POI's name

Using Tyre I cut/paste the Caravan Club POIs and the Camping and Caravanning Club POIs into individual POI files of their own. Use the A,B,C sort within Tyre to make it easier to select the desired POIs

When searching for POIs you now can select the individual category (CC or CCC) or scroll through the list of closest which will give all camp sites

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: