Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Foreign Drivers Immune to Speed Camera Fines
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Foreign Drivers Immune to Speed Camera Fines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Foreign Drivers Immune to Speed Camera Fines Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comThe Lowestoft Journal have reported that all foreign drivers captured by Norfolk''s speed cameras escape speeding fines.

248 foreign drivers alone escaped prosecution last year.

A reply from the police to a Freedom of Information request by Norfolk Lib Dem county councillor, Judith Brown, explains that fixed-penalties for speeding can only be issued to UK residents holding a UK licence.

All information is gleaned from the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) in Swansea and, if the vehicle is not recorded in their database, no further action is taken.
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same seems to go for other countries as well. I have been flashed by a gatso in Netherlands and did not receive a notice. A colleague (Belgian) was flashed by the same camera and did not receive a notice.

Another colleague ensured his car was registered in Lichtenstein as their data protection law stops the government sharing of personal data with other countries! He regularly brags that the only way he can get a speeding fine outside of Lichtenstein is to be stopped by the police.
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you just give your name as Prawo Jazdy. (That's Polish for Driving Licence if you don't want to read the article.) Wink
Brodit ProClip mount
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea this is it the only way you can do someone for speeding outside the uk is the good old on the spot fine even if you live in southern Ireland just another horrible thought you know that trucker who killed the family of 6 when he gets out of prison in a year or so he can drive again any where outside the uk so he still has a future of driving hgv's Surprised
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought there is (or will be) legislation to enforce driving bans across the EU? I also know there is a Euro fines unit to chase fines issued against drivers across Europe but what rules it works under I don't know.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought countries had to specifically sign up to that? i'm sure i read that spain had but not sure about any others...

MaFt
worried
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was flashed in Germany just north of Karlsruhe about 18 years ago still not got the ticket
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe a similar situation also applies with the London Congestion Charge. It certainly did when the system was introduced a few years ago, though I'm not aware whether it is a loophole that has now been closed.
i235rider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got flashed in Germany 3 years ago, had to pay the hire car company a charge for them passing on my details to the Police.

Never heard from the Police
gsandy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Foreign Driving Licences Reply with quote

There are clearly problems in enforcing speed camera generated offences and fixed penalty notices with foreign drivers and although there are systems to get over the problems they are involved and have limited success so, as is the case with UK drivers abroad, many will get away with offences.

One aspect of the problems may come as a suprise to many and is a result of the wonderful EU. All EU driving licences are valid in ALL EU countries until the driver's 70th birthday. This is for both visitors and foreign UK residents.

Foreign licences cannot have points added to them in the UK so holders of these licences cannot have offences processed by the endorsable fixed penalty system. Cases must go to court and any points added to a "GHOST" UK licence (no UK licence is issued but a UK number is generated so the points can be shown on UK computer systems. The holder will NOT have points on their foreign licence).

There is a system where EU licence holders can get a UK "paper part" by submitting a form (available on DVLA website). Holders of foreign LGV and PCV licences must have this paper part to work as drivers in UK but it may be worth car drivers having one if they feel likely to get flashed by cameras or get FPNs as it means cases can be dealt with without going to court.

When a foreign car flasges a camera it is hardly hardly suprising that the driver will get away with it. First the problem of identifying the owner of the car. Then sending a letter to the owner in Romania or Poland requesting details of the driver. Now on the million to one chance of getting a reply there is the problem of how to deal with it.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Foreign Driving Licences Reply with quote

gsandy wrote:
There are clearly problems in enforcing speed camera generated offences and fixed penalty notices with foreign drivers

Many years ago a police person explained to me that he couldn't issue a fixed penalty notice to a driver with a foreign license., there was some legal problem with the way the conditional offer of a fixed penalty worked.

He said the only thing the police can do is arrest the driver, put him/her in jail overnight and bring them up in court the next day. For very serious offences this may be OK but for a minor one it could easily be seen as disproportionate and a breach of their human rights.

He said he often stopped foreigners for speeding and they would hand over a drivers license and a credit card - much to their shock they were let go with a warning.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As from the 9th of April, new laws will be used to combat the problem with non UK HGV and PCV vehicles.

Vosa and the Police will have the powers to fine foreign (and UK) drivers on the spot for various offences, which include defective vehicles and tachograph irregularities.

If foreign drivers cannot pay on the spot their vehicles will be disabled or confiscated until it is paid.

This as far as I am concerned brings us nearer to a fairer and a more even playing field with the rest of Europe.

To old to die young.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: