Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Destinator3 or TomTom3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Destinator3 or TomTom3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
losta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Destinator3 or TomTom3 Reply with quote

Hi
I live in the states but will be spending time this summer driving in the UK. (I have driven in the UK pre GPS and I am quite happy to have the opportunity for road guidance).

My question is TomTom3 or Destinator3?

I can get Destinator3 in the US.
I would have to order TomTom3 from the UK.
Is Handnav Technology a good place to order from?
Is all I need TomTom Navigator 3 Software that £101.27 without VAT?
With that software is it just the UK?
How can I add other countries?
TomToms web site does not let you purchase TT3 without a European address.
Any other suggestion or opinions on the matter will be appreciated.

FYI - I have an ipaq 4150 and fortuna bt clip-on and I use a routis type software in the states.
Thank you.
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Iosta

I shall try to answer some of your questions (I am sure what i don't know will be answered by others on these forums) - In the order you ask them....

1) I have no idea about destinator 3 and therefore will not comment

2) TomTom 3 Can be ordered from the UK from various retailers (My suggestion would be www.Globalpositioningsystems.co.uk as they will also do VAT free purchases to foreign nationals (sorry to call you that!)

3) I shall refrain from commenting here about this dealer - I would just suggest that you take a good long look at the forum "Retailers to buy from or avoid"

4) Yes as this would include programme and the maps for the whole of the Uk and northern Ireland and also the major routes of Europe maps

5) Other countries can be added by buying the approprite maps (as i plan to do when visiting family in the USA next year), However, I am not sure but i think you will need maps for TT3 not the TT2 maps, which may not yet be available - as the USA isn't yet. (perhaps someone could clarify this?)

6) No problem I reckon, I am sure that there are many (if not all) retailers based in this country who would happily sell you the product directly, via the web or by phone.

Out of interest, where in the Uk do you plan to visit? I ask because i am married to an American (she is from Michigan) and I am always on the lookout for places to take her which may interest Americans, and would appreciate your thoughts. (Or I can tell you the places she likes if that will help you)

Hope I have been of help

Steve
losta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply Steve,

How do you like TT3?
How long have you had it?
Any bugs or weird things about it?
Did you upgrade from TT2?
Can you plan in advance with TT3 without the GPS being in the location?

To answer your question. I will be in the south and east of England visiting gardens in Kent, Hampshire, and Gloucestershire Oxfordshire.
I will visit Sissinghurst Castle Garden, Mottisfont, Hidcote Garden. I plan 2 night in Oxford and 2 nights in Cranbrook Kent. It is a breif visit. We are also going to Paris and I won't be driving there but I did purchase TomTom Paris street map
I lived in Berkshire and Oxfordshire for a brief time in the mid 90's.

I have driven many miles is the UK and have visited every county in the mainland UK except four (Cornwall, Norfolk, Suffolk and northern most Scotland are the ones I have yet to visit) I did this all with a large AA 3- mile scale map and a full UK map. Tiny post-its guided me on my way.

Cheers
Losta
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Losta

OK I'll try to answer your questions again in the order you aske them - although you might want to take a look at my posting in this particular forum called "newbie thoughts for those thinking of buying a satnav system" (It's the sticky one at the top)

1) I like TT3 a lot (but then I have no experience of others to compare it with!!) - in general it does what it is supposed to do, with only a few glitches here and there

2) I got my system about 3 to 4 weeks ago and have used it daily since around my home City (Leeds) to test it out, hence i am discovering it's glitches and "personality" - have only used it twice to get me to somewhere i did not know and on both occasions it got me there perfectly (to within 10 feet)

3) Read the posting that I mentioned earlier about weird things - strongly recomment that you use checkpoint with TT3 and Naills excellent postcode application as this works exactly as I expected the TT postcode lookup to work - my own personal moan about TomTom is the supposed Outlook integration - it is rubbish, dont bother with it or expect it to work correctly (apparently it is the same with TT2 also) otherwise the software is mostly fine

4) No Upgrade from TT2 (don't actually think anyone has received an upgrade yet - apparently they only started shipping today I believe?)

5) Yes you can plan in advance without the GPS being "live" TT just asks you if you want your calculations based on the last known good Satellite fix - I always say yes as it is sort of irrelevant because as soon as you connect up and get a fix then the system just recalculates the journey from your new fix.

Nice area in the SE corner - Kent etc, generally though we find it a bit far to travel down there to sightsee, although we do have another American friend we visit in Berkshire fairly regularly.

Hope you have a good trip

Steve
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

losta wrote:
Thank you for the reply Steve,

How do you like TT3?
How long have you had it?
Any bugs or weird things about it?
Did you upgrade from TT2?
Can you plan in advance with TT3 without the GPS being in the location?

To answer your question. I will be in the south and east of England visiting gardens in Kent, Hampshire, and Gloucestershire Oxfordshire.
I will visit Sissinghurst Castle Garden, Mottisfont, Hidcote Garden. I plan 2 night in Oxford and 2 nights in Cranbrook Kent. It is a breif visit. We are also going to Paris and I won't be driving there but I did purchase TomTom Paris street map
I lived in Berkshire and Oxfordshire for a brief time in the mid 90's.

I have driven many miles is the UK and have visited every county in the mainland UK except four (Cornwall, Norfolk, Suffolk and northern most Scotland are the ones I have yet to visit) I did this all with a large AA 3- mile scale map and a full UK map. Tiny post-its guided me on my way.

Cheers
Losta

If you're only here for a week, try mapopolis for free. The maps last nine days, I think. OK, so the voice sounds like the terminator, but it uses decent Navteq maps.
losta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered TomTom3 from Global Positioning Systems today. Thanks for the help.
Flibb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you have a good time when you come to the UK. I use TomTom3 for a variety of journeys around the area you will be visiting and also for general trips in the South of England. I have found that TT3 handles the lanes around Kent easily and also use the speed camera database and the postcode software mentioned in previouse posts. I tried using the POI database to find parking, unfortunately this wasnt so good. I notice your are visiting Cranbrook, my wife works in the councild planning department there. I am currently trying to get here to use TT3 a bit ;)
I can highly recommend a visit to sevenoaks and Knoel House and park.
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/scripts/nthandbook.dll?ACTION=PROPERTY&PROPERTYID=92
The main entrance is in Sevenoaks town. If you park outside the grounds you can access the park for free, its full or overly friedly deer, that wonder around the golf course and woods. Its rather amusing watching the golfers trying to move them away from the greens.
If you need any info on teharea am more than happy to help
Jon
losta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flibb,
Thank you! I have been to Knole. It suppposedly has 365 rooms, 52 staircases and 7 courtyards (I didn't try to count). It's knickname is the calendar house. It's also the ancestral home of Vita Sackville West (Siisinghurst).

Any other suggestions for where I should visit are appreciated.

FYI I received an email that my TT3 has been despatched!
losta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my TT Nav 3 from Global Positioning Systems today. I was able to enter my destinations and figure driving times. Even though I am an ocean away. Any tips I should know as I can't really put this to use until I really need it. Thanks again.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: