Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navcore 8.301 now being offered by Home for X20 Devices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navcore 8.301 now being offered by Home for X20 Devices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up on v8.301 and decided to trial v8.320.

So far it runs sweet and no stutter.

I only use my TT as a means of getting from A to B so can't comment on hands free and TMC and Mp3 etc.
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
Rowan29a
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Godfather40 wrote:
I've just upgraded my Go920 to application version 8.301 and have lost all spoken responses. Neither the normal voice or the computer voice now works for routes I input. Also if I try to download new Computer Voices from the TomTom site under home they are all labled "This item cannot be used with this current version of the Tom Tom application on your device".
Does anyone have a suggestion on a solution.

Earlier threads have given a message from TomTom saying " have looked into this case further for you and it appears that the release of application version 8.301 was made before the emulator was updated in TomTom HOME. Therefore currently when trying to use Operate My Device you may receive the message that the function is not yet supported. We will be releasing an update shortly that will resolve this. We apologise for the inconvenience." We shall all have to wait until TomTom gets it's act together and puts out the missing emulator for TomTom Home.
Rowan29a
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrfreeze wrote:
I gave up on v8.301 and decided to trial v8.320.

So far it runs sweet and no stutter.

I only use my TT as a means of getting from A to B so can't comment on hands free and TMC and Mp3 etc.

Where do you get V8.320 from please?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please have a read of This Post where you will find the full instructions and download links - Mike
Rowan29a
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Mike. I shall give it a whirl!
shenkerp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I can help Men9jag.
When you are changing a voice from one language to another there are two operations to carry out.
The first is go to Change Preferences then Voice Change (on my Go 930 page 1). The second is Change Preferences then Change Language page 8 for me.
The two languages should coincide.
Rowan29a
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Vacore Update problems Reply with quote

Following all the kerfuffle over the latest Navcore "update" making Home ineffective to operate your unit I have received the following message from TomTom Support. Message timed 1105 on Tuesday 17 Feb 09. Hope this helps! Rolling Eyes

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

Today there has been a change, the emulator will be available later on in the day.

With Best Regards

James B.

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Eagle15
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just connected my 720 to Home and selected 'Update my Go'. One minor map update. Checked for update to Home but it said that I had the latest version. Then, just for the hell of it I tried to 'Operate my Go' and got in, but......

When I click on the Signal Strength bars it says that I have version 8.300 – should show 8.301; and that I am in DEMO mode.

If I then click on the version number the configuration screen says: -
App 8.300 (9732/040301) - should show 8.301 (9736/090114)
Boot 1.0012 – should show 5.5015

When I go into Change Preferences - Voice preferences, Change Voice is greyed-out.

When I go into Change Preferences - Voice Preferences - Enable Voice, it says that I only have ‘Jane’ and ‘Silent’ voices on the device (Kate is on the device and selected).

When I select Navigate to… - Address - Postcode, it will not let me enter a Post Code via the keyboard.

When I select Music and Media TomTom Juke Box is greyed-out.

The Quick Menu has 2 items missing – Juke Box and Add position to Favourites. Both are selected on the Quick Menu preferences screen.

Interesting!

Rod
Go 720T
Device AK6SN DSFUW
App 8.301 (9736/090114)
OS 244890
GPS v1.20
Boot 5.5015
Map Western Europe v815.2003
Home 2.5.2.60
Rowan29a
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle15 wrote:
Just connected my 720 to Home and selected 'Update my Go'. One minor map update. Checked for update to Home but it said that I had the latest version. Then, just for the hell of it I tried to 'Operate my Go' and got in, but......

When I click on the Signal Strength bars it says that I have version 8.300 – should show 8.301; and that I am in DEMO mode.

If I then click on the version number the configuration screen says: -
App 8.300 (9732/040301) - should show 8.301 (9736/090114)
Boot 1.0012 – should show 5.5015

When I go into Change Preferences - Voice preferences, Change Voice is greyed-out.

When I go into Change Preferences - Voice Preferences - Enable Voice, it says that I only have ‘Jane’ and ‘Silent’ voices on the device (Kate is on the device and selected).

When I select Navigate to… - Address - Postcode, it will not let me enter a Post Code via the keyboard.

When I select Music and Media TomTom Juke Box is greyed-out.

The Quick Menu has 2 items missing – Juke Box and Add position to Favourites. Both are selected on the Quick Menu preferences screen.

Interesting!

Rod
Go 720T
Device AK6SN DSFUW
App 8.301 (9736/090114)
OS 244890
GPS v1.20
Boot 5.5015
Map Western Europe v815.2003
Home 2.5.2.60

I would not call that interesting - you sound very calm! I had a similar experience after the last Navcore update when Traffic and hands-free calling completely packed in. After various e-mails with TT Support they asked for the unit back under warranty. It was returned with a note saying that they could find nothing wrong. Funny old thing, when I switched it on the Go connected to the phone without problem and I could also receive Traffic via my phone. I am not going to hold my breath that Home will be updated today as promised.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle15 wrote:
Then, just for the hell of it I tried to 'Operate my Go' and got in, but......

Rod, you've just joined the club of those who learn that TT Home is one of the less brilliant programs of this world, indeed flakey might be a more appropriate description. Several functions simply do not (and cannot) work in Home - voices, music, etc. One or two functions are vaguely useful, but quite a lot of us avoid using Home like the plague - just a real pain that it's the only way to get new maps. If you use your TT reasonably regularly, you don't need QuickGPSFix (I haven't downloaded it since February 2008) and there are some of us who won't touch Mapshare Corruptions with a barge pole. Anything else can be managed on the device itself, unless I'm mistaken.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
reholli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Eagle15 wrote:

Rod, you've just joined the club of those who learn that TT Home is one of the less brilliant programs of this world, indeed flakey might be a more appropriate description. Several functions simply do not (and cannot) work in Home - voices, music, etc. One or two functions are vaguely useful, but quite a lot of us avoid using Home like the plague - just a real pain that it's the only way to get new maps. If you use your TT reasonably regularly, you don't need QuickGPSFix (I haven't downloaded it since February 2008) and there are some of us who won't touch Mapshare Corruptions with a barge pole. Anything else can be managed on the device itself, unless I'm mistaken.

Not to be contentious, but labeling all MapShare corrections as corruptions seems a little extreme...are you saying the filter levels of verification of these corrections that can be applied are useless and therefore they should all just be ignored? And is this tested, verifiable more-than-personal experience, or uninformed assumption, or something in between?

Ray Smile
NAM-UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy a tomtom, then update and watch the features go one by one Shocked

i wish i bought the noah's ark version of the tomtom, but there very rare..

rant over .. Rolling Eyes

reholli wrote:
DennisN wrote:
Eagle15 wrote:

Not to be contentious, but labeling all MapShare corrections as corruptions seems a little extreme...are you saying the filter levels of verification of these corrections that can be applied are useless and therefore they should all just be ignored? And is this tested, verifiable more-than-personal experience, or uninformed assumption, or something in between?

Ray Smile
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reholli wrote:

Not to be contentious, but labelling all MapShare corrections as corruptions seems a little extreme...are you saying the filter levels of verification of these corrections that can be applied are useless and therefore they should all just be ignored? And is this tested, verifiable more-than-personal experience, or uninformed assumption, or something in between?
Ray Smile

I would never use anything other than a high level of filtering. Not wishing to offend anyone, but many people come to this forum and have very little knowledge about using their TomTom device. These people are the those who wish to learn and expand their knowledge, that is why they visit here, so they can understand more about their devices and probably will go away with a greater understanding. Then there are those who do not visit forums like this, have a very limited understanding of their devices and may not recognise this, try to input map corrections and may mess this up.

TomTom have no way of knowing whether the person who input this data is an experienced cartologist or estate pool car driver and likewise neither does the end user of MapShare corrections.

Even my own MapShare corrections I often choose not to share as I may make a MapShare correction that is not correct in that I may decide that on a stretch of road where the speed limit changes but TomTom shows it to be all the same speed (and cannot be segmented) to amend this. Part of this road is now going to be incorrect but which part should be correct, there is no right answer? I might take the view to put it all at the lower speed limit to avoid speeding, but others may take the view that this would cause unnecessary delays.

Likewise there could be roads where restrictions apply to some vehicles and not others. If I drove a vehicle that was not allowed on a certain road, I might choose to mark this road as blocked to stop my TT from navigating down it. This would cause problems for drivers who could drive on this road if they used this MapShare correction.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reholli wrote:

Something in between, but leaning closer to corruptions than corrections! Mad My comments on Mapshare were made in relation to the usage of TT Home, an awful program, and using it for Mapshare draws you into its dreadful net. It seems to me that there are three functions for which Home must be used, there being no other way of doing them - namely to download 1- Maps, 2- QuickGPSFix and 3- Mapshare circulations. Saying that you don't need QuickGPSFix and "we" avoid Mapshare left only the map downloads to be obtained via Home and I regretted even that. My comment was to be interpreted that as "Some of us" don't trust Mapshare (to the extent that we consider the "corrections" to be more aptly described as "corruptions"), Home could largely be avoided.
As for tested, verifiable, or uninformed assumption - I invite you to read up all the adverse comments you can find. Nobody to my knowledge has said it's a bad idea, indeed to the contrary, "we all" think it's brilliant. But "some of us" think TomTom have introduced and implemented it badly. There have been several poor outcomes - one of the most notorious was the closure of the A40 in London, which rumour has it was due to listening to temporary roadworks reports on the BBC! When you look into Mapshare, you find that TomTom have been completely secretive about its workings. I don't want any commercially sensitive information, but compare their verification system with ours - we know absolutely nothing about theirs, ours is well publicised. Quite simply, we do not publish unverified data as verified data. Scout around and you will see our members who are identified as Verifiers. Read the article link in my signature and we say how we go about the verification process. We publish an update every Wednesday. Our new update can be used across all platforms. By comparison, TT Mapshare sort of lurks in the background cheering itself on, but we have no idea how TT verify "corrections". We do know that they are not cross platform - unless you and I have identical device configurations, our submissions will not pass between us. It is also claimed (by "some of us" who do participate) that pending "corrections" are not carried forward to later map releases - submitters have to resubmit them.

Labelling all Mapshare corrections as corruptions may seem a little extreme to you, certainly it's a bit tongue in cheek, but I am not alone in preferring that label.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Rowan29a
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am not going to hold my breath that Home will be updated today as promised.

Glad I did not hold my breath - the emulator for Home has not been fixed yet. TomTom support speak with forked tongue.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: