Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pinpointing Public Toilets: A Community Call to Action!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pinpointing Public Toilets: A Community Call to Action!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please can I ask everyone to capitalise the text in their submissions, not submit everything in lower case, i.e. not high street, but High Street.

I've updated the submission guidelines
which I strongly encourage everyone to read/re-read, especially those who regularly submit new locations.

Ta

Last edited by RobBrady on Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a great user of POIs, but I've gone for this one, gratefully.

I decided to give it a Warn when near so that I could check any I come across in my travels (and pay a call too, sorry!). So I recorded my own - "Hey ... That's a relief!". Vera happened to be passing as I did it, so she said "What?". So my Warn when near is male Yorkshire pensioner "Hey ... That's a relief" plus female Devon "What?".

Simple things please simple minds, I suppose!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobBrady wrote:
which I strongly encourage everyone to read/re-read, especially those who regularly submit new locations.
Ta

But the bit about positioning of 'on the acces road' rather than 'the front door' is not (I can't find it) on the guidelines on the POI submission page.
Someone recently was asking if he should position the POI at the 'front door' or not.
Perhaps inclusion on the POI page would be an advantage.
Just had another look and found
'6. Optionally, enter some comments, e.g. POI is positioned on hotel access road.'
Which was the nearest thing I could find.
I'ready for a good kicking if I'm wrong. Very Happy
Brassraptor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Submitting existing Public toilet POIs Reply with quote

Brilliant Idea. I started my own Public Toilet POI database some while ago, specifically covering remote-ish parts of the Yorkshire Moors and Derby Dales, although I do have some from other areas I visit.

OK I don't have a great number, maybe 60 or so in a csv file that I use on my Navman. I would be happy to send this in, if it could be used; I don't know that I fancy the task of pointing them all out one by one on your map system.

It is a perfecty standard csv file that loads happily into Notepad or Excel, and loads onto my navman using the standard update software.

They all have text descriptions, from which it can be deduced which are the very few of them that are located in a supermarket, petrol station or pub. Most are bona fide public lavatories.

I also have a BMP icon that i drew for the purpose.

Let me know if you can use it in this form, and I will email it in.

Best regards

Ron (brassraptor)
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great Ron, please email them to pois AT PocketGPSWorld.com. Many thanks! Smile
george57l
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a reply from RADAR - they "have a publication called The National Key Scheme Guide priced at £12.25 including P&P. This publication provides information to over 7000 toilets nationwide."

I will get a copy, but who knows if their listings can be accurately interpreted into sat nav co-ordinates. Don't hold your breath - but I may be back ....
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

george57l wrote:
I just got a reply from RADAR - they "have a publication called The National Key Scheme Guide priced at £12.25 including P&P. This publication provides information to over 7000 toilets nationwide."

I will get a copy, but who knows if their listings can be accurately interpreted into sat nav co-ordinates. Don't hold your breath - but I may be back ....
There was a time when I was interested in that information for my brother who is disabled. I have some vague recollection from the past that this organisation was once approached and declined to allow their stuff to be copied/published free of charge (whilst they charge for it), so check for copyright.

Edited to add .... This old thread contains this post
DavidW Apr 25 2005, 10:43pm wrote:
Disabled toilets - there is the RADAR guide, but it's a copyrighted publication. As I believe RADAR use the funds from sale of the guide to support the National Key Scheme financially, I doubt that they would be willing to license the data for release in a non copy-protected format.

Last edited by DennisN on Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
george57l
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will do - but by now I'd hope they'd be more interested in getting a "free" sat nav POI file they can tell members about than making not much money out of their members/subscribers by selling booklets at £12 a pop - I'll sound them out ...
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mentioning RADAR toilets, are these only availble by key to the disabled i.e. Blue Badge holders by Key entry and not accesible by the general public and therefore should be marked as such?
Ans surely whether lists copyright or not, anybody coming across any of these on there travels can submit.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Mentioning RADAR toilets, are these only availble by key to the disabled i.e. Blue Badge holders by Key entry and not accesible by the general public and therefore should be marked as such?
Ans surely whether lists copyright or not, anybody coming across any of these on there travels can submit.
I'm no expert, but I can't think of any RADAR toilets which are not alongside "normal" toilets. I think there will be some where the RADARs will be accessible (RADAR keyholders only at all times) when unattended "normals" might be locked.

Of course they can be reported when come across - that's what we're asking members to do. But for the pgpsw database to rather quickly increase by 7,000 RADAR toilets might stretch "come across" credibility a bit?

worried
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only got one so far in Essex, added to data base with note, it is not far from the general toilet Southminster

http://www.maldon.gov.uk/VisitingTheDistrict/Toilets.htm

Last edited by worried on Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:58 am; edited 2 times in total
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some RADAR accessible toilets are kept unlocked, but others are locked for fear of misuse. I have no idea of the ratio though. RADAR recommends that are left unlocked where possible.

And yes, anybody coming across any of these on their travels can indeed submit without fear of copyright.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobBrady wrote:
Please can I ask everyone to capitalise the text in their submissions, not submit everything in lower case, i.e. not high street, but High Street.
Still some have not noted this. Even get some in ALL CAPITALS. Evil or Very Mad

RobBrady wrote:
.... and the Guidelines are still not being followed by some. Shocked

Just to re-iterate, Public Toilets, the sub-category, is found under Community, the Category. Rolling Eyes

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:

I came across this about 18 months ago now. Both parents need a chair and or a zimmer. I was trying to get some sort of list of disabled parking bays that were close / near to disbaled toilets - what a nightmare!!!
I as only checking for South Wales along the coast, but the number of different people that had a finger in the pie is unbelievable, and none of them talk with each other.

I did speak with someone from RADAR, not that helpful unless you were going to buy the product and you couldn't share. I have submitted only 1 (ONE) RADAR toilet, and that is in Thame, simply because it is in the CAB office in the middle of the car park used for the markets.
I didn't mention it was RADAR, but that disabled key was available from CAB during their opening hours.

I think it is probably a good idea, but unless someone can strike a deal they are not going to release database that easily.
But how do you show opening times / where to get the ket on the POI as viewed on TT for example.
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:
But how do you show opening times / where to get the ket on the POI as viewed on TT for example.

You could put the contact telephone number on the POI. Most people would realise ( they would wouldn't they?) that the public loo has not got a phone, so it must be a contact number.

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: