Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MobileNavigator 7
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MobileNavigator 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bananatic91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: MobileNavigator 7 Reply with quote

I've had a good look around the internet but can't find the answers. Is anyone able to help out? Embarassed

1) How up-to-date are the maps provided with MobileNavigator 7? In terms of months, years...

2) In a couple of years' time should I wish to update the maps, would it be a case of buying the £65 package again, or can you 'update' the mapping for a reduced price (like you can for in-car sat navs)?

3) Using the trial, I am on 3D more but cannot zoom in. When I press the 'zoom' icon the view changes, to something that looks like a 2D view. I can zoom in to that, but when I press the 'zoom' icon to exit and go back to navigation it is the same old un-zoomed display.

4) When the full product is purchased, is a remote internet connection required every time you use it, or is this just for the trial version?

5) I tested the trial in town earlier, but no street names were read out to me. Is this only on motorways, or do I need to purchase something extra for it?

6) Is the lane assist for motorways only? I drove some roundabouts in the city earlier and no lane information was given.

I know that's a lot of questions to bombard you with, but if any information or insight is available it would be hugely appreciated. Smile

Many thanks.

Chris
bananatic91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody got any information?

Can't decide whether to make the purchase Shocked
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: MobileNavigator 7 Reply with quote

bananatic91 wrote:

1) How up-to-date are the maps provided with MobileNavigator 7? In terms of months, years...

Can only really answer this one so far.

The demo version I downloaded at the weekend calls its maps Q3 2008, so they are arond 4-5 months old. The actual data though could (and in some cases will be) months and years out of date from that. I would expect the full version to use the same maps currently as it takes 3-4 months after the mapping data supplier releases the maps before they are available from the satnav suppliers.

The maps are from Navteq, which in many peoples estimation makes them better than the TeleAtlas maps used in programs like TomTom
bananatic91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I suppose it's still a lot newer than my current TomTom maps.

The biggest question I need answered is the internet connection one - if I do require a connection in the full version then I can't purchase the product. Navigon themselves havn't replied to my e-mail and none of their FAQs etc. answer it so I'm at loose ends...
ChampionC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can hapily navigate without any internet connection and using Q4.2008 maps

C
Roy124
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigon markets a FreshMaps update for €99 which is valid for 2 years and allows you to down load a quarterly update.

The Q4 2008 update is a new download of 1.5Gb so it takes quite some time. I am not sure whether the quarterly map update also includes the previous monthly speedcam updates.

I have filed a question with Navigon.
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a tricky one then, can't see it in the FAQs over on the Navigon site - how the heck do you run the darn thing once loaded on your storage card - it doesn't get assimilated into the WinMob device registry, and thus doesn't appear in the program listings?!

Are they seriously telling me that I have to run File Explorer EVERY time I want to run the package?

Edit, some six hours later...

AHA! Navigon does, it appears, have a CAB file... just took forever for my TP2 to "see" it, which it only just did, some six hours after I installed the software Rolling Eyes
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
5) I tested the trial in town earlier, but no street names were read out to me. Is this only on motorways, or do I need to purchase something extra for it?
Check which voice is active. I have Susan (non TTS) and Heather (TTS). Heather gives street names.

Quote:
6) Is the lane assist for motorways only? I drove some roundabouts in the city earlier and no lane information was given.
I don't think it's strictly restricted to motorways, but you certainly won't get it on roudabouts on most A roads.
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I got lane assistance on a rather obscure junction in the Waddon area in Croydon this morning Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: