Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Talex - Are they getting better again?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Talex - Are they getting better again?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lumuah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Talex - Are they getting better again? Reply with quote

There has been a lot of bad stuff said about Talex on here, especially the clown that owns it.

But now the dust has settled, and there are regular updates again, do people think their database is getting back to their old 'award winning' status?

My subscription is up for renewal this year, and i'm seriously thinking of upgrading to the New Talex unit (only because I had an earlier Talex with a serial connection rather than USB - there is nothing wrong with the unit)

If people say 'Don't get talex' then please say what you think should be an alternative. I'd rather not have a full SatNav unit.
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The data has always been ok and while I still have an update contract (over 12 months to go) I've used it with my Honda Satnav.

Fixed cameras have always been fine, however I find them slow to pick up new cameras for roadworks on the motorway and the most annoying thing is they are even slower to remove them again afterwards.

I've dumped mine now (with some subscription left) as I just need the pocketGPS database back. I've just set it back up with my old TomTom6 that I've moved to my smartphone with GPS.

Plus as you say that joker that runs it and e-mail so much "guff" is reason enough not to ever use it again Rolling Eyes
Beefheart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 11th January we completed a round trip from the north east of Scotland to Leeds.

Before setting off I updated my Talex Lite with the latest Talex database and my Garmin sat nav with the new Pocket GPS World database.

On this 700 hundred mile trip the sat nav performed flawlessly picking up every fixed camera and active mobile site. The Talex was less impressive missing completely one GATSO on the A68 and two active mobiles on the A1.

If I'd been speeding and relying solely on the Talex I'd be waiting for the Notices of Intention to Prosecute popping through the letter box!

There's also quite a long Talex thread running on the Briskoda Forums. If you're interested you could look here.
Anquet Maps v06 6.2.11
talexuser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my experience is much the same, fixed cameras are ok, roadworks and others sometimes way out of date. Went to Wales this weekend with the latest data and had a long 30mph warning in a 60 mph zone with no sign of roadworks for example. I don't think it's worth the money and certainly not "award winning" anymore. The emails are also laughable and give no confidence in the company whatever. If you want to stick with the talex the novus delta downloads work and are at least free.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a one year Talex subscription in March 2007 that is still allowing me to download and update.

No wonder they are trying to get all existing owners to upgrade to the latest units Very Happy
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your original question - no

I went into London on the M4 today and between J3 and J2 there are 2 cameras and I was not informed of either.

There is also a camera just after J2 and I got the warning for that when I was about 100 yards beyond it !

Just as well I was stuck in traffic below the limit !
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: