Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Direct Nuvi/Tomtom Map comparason...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Direct Nuvi/Tomtom Map comparason...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lukehall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Direct Nuvi/Tomtom Map comparason... Reply with quote

Here's the thing then... I got a TT730 based on the fact that my pals also had it.

I was deeply offended by the un-announced removal of the voice over FM fiasco, then rather annoyed that the blue tooth phone connection does not go across the FM link.

So, I took it back and got a 765T. I have to say that the screen is great, the software is great, the voice is a bit iffy but I can live with that. The phone comes over the FM as do the voice instructions... Lane assist is great and the traffic thing is useful.

BUT... here's my gripe:

The level of detail shown on the Garmin device seems a lot lower than the TT. For instance, the TT map shows slip roads leading to roundabout interchanges in far more detail. It also shows parking lay-bys and other such things.

It also hardly maps any of my 4 year old street but the TT at least maps half of it. Come to think of it, my street has been complete for 4 years, so how come none of the numerous updates since have it fully mapped?

Now, it's a solid shootout between the 765T and the TT730 I have one of each in my car and it's looking more likely that the 765T will win the day! Smile

Any thoughts.....

Best wishes,

Luke
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

All maps have a certain degree of error or old / missing data. For every Garmin user with their road missing there's a TomTom user with their road missing.

I have a Garmin 760T with the latest maps and comparing my local area to the TT online route planner the TT maps are more accurate and contain only one incorrect turn restriction compared to the 7-8 I've found with the Garmin maps.

I'll be switching to TT as soon as i can make a decision on what to do....
lukehall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's curious. I don't understand why road changes take so long to filter through into map updates. Similarly, Why do whole roads continuously get omitted years after they have been completed.

I must say though... The ability to use the FM transmitter for instructions and the fact that I can do hands-free calling using the car speakers clinch it for me... Oh yes, and the traffic function.

Best wishes,

Luke
robinb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only just rid of my TT that had the latest EU maps on it.

So many errors on it, it was really me off.

The garmin still has some, so not perfect.

But at times you wonder, on the TT it had new roads on which had NOT been completed and also missing a major motorway section that had over a year ago.

SO much for spending the money on getting map updates.

I was a bit dissapointed with garmin as it does not have the road I live on (nor did TT) this is 4 years old. Despite me putting in several map reports to TT a year ago they have not been updated. So not sure what I was paying for.

Anyhow TT went as new garmin arrived from santa.

I like the security lock feature that is a kill switch for unit if stolen.

I prefer most aspects of maps looks.

Menus are a bit different and taking a bit more getting used to.

Robin...
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOu can check the GARMIN coverage for the latest European mapping here . Just click on the area you want and then zoom/pan around.

It does show sliproads.

Check the zoom level you are displaying on the nuvi - and is it set to autozoom? You may need this to get the detail you are after. Having used both Garmin and TomTom over the years - GARMIN try to keep the screen uncluttered - they leave off POIs and other detail until you zoom in a fair way.

TT mapping (TeleAtlas) is pretty poor for accuracy. I've not had any routing problems with GARMIN but...

My new 720 with 815 mapping still routes you with a right hand turn onto a road that is 20 metres below you - not very advisable! I've reported this several times since 2000 (and now via MapShare) but still no change.

The 'junction' in question is in Warrington. There is a road (Ackers Road) that crosses the Manchester Ship Canal on the appropriately named 'High Level' bridge. This then crosses Fairfield Road some 20mtrs below. It's this junction (Ackers/Fairfield) that TT reckons you can negotiate!

There are innumerable other 'issues' with local roads around where I live (e.g. routing down OS Footpaths that you can just about get a mountain bike down - on a good day).

The NAVTEQ/Garmin mapping had none of these errors from my day one (the V8 mapping).
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are innumerable other 'issues' with local roads around where I live (e.g. routing down OS Footpaths that you can just about get a mountain bike down - on a good day).

The NAVTEQ/Garmin mapping had none of these errors from my day one (the V8 mapping).

Laughing Out Loud - my desire to move to TomTom is fuelled by my frustration of being directed down local footpaths, through private gated estates, pub car parks, bridle paths, alleyways, the wrong way down some roads and misses several turn restrictions with the latest Garmin 2009 mapping. Never an issue with the v8 maps (ok, once in 3 years) but the 2008 / 2009 definitely suffer a lot of this near me.

Conversely i have found that using a TomTom online route planer the routes are more in tune with my local knowledge and I've only come across one error which is a missing turn restriction. Possibly also it still shows a closed bridge as open (not sure what the situation is with the bridge)

It really does seem neither TomTom or Garmin are better overall and that where TomTom is more accurate in one area Garmin will be more accurate in another....

I don't think either will achieve 100% accuracy until more R&D resources are put into the mapping and taken away from the fluffy features....
lukehall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for your input.

I am currently running tt and 765T side by side to get a direct comparason of performance! I have had a couple of funny looks from other people but I don't mind!

I just wish I could combine elements of both systems! I really am finding it very difficult to choose which one I like the best.

Overall, I feel that the Garmin is a slightly more 'solid' bit of kit and it gives the overall impression of being potentially more serious... I also like the more accomplished screen graphics which are a lot easier to live with than the TT 'blocky' graphics.

Luke
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lukehall wrote:
Overall, I feel that the Garmin is a slightly more 'solid' bit of kit and it gives the overall impression of being potentially more serious... I also like the more accomplished screen graphics which are a lot easier to live with than the TT 'blocky' graphics.

Just goes to show. how personal opinions differ. I prefer TomTom's display, I find Garmin's a bit toy like for my liking, I certainly wouldn't describe it as blocky!

As far as mapping goes, having used both side by side for many years I really couldn't say one was any better than the other where overall coverage is concerned.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you are talking about maps, is Map Share worth using on the TT, and can it cure some of the map issues you have been discussing.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
While you are talking about maps, is Map Share worth using on the TT, and can it cure some of the map issues you have been discussing.

Who is that Q aimed at? I don't use it, I change devices too often and of the errors I have reported none have as yet made it into a map cut.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:

I use it to modify the errors that are local to me so that it doesn't try to start a route down one of the 'known' errors. I let it submit these to MapShare and I currently allow "STRICT" updates from MapShare. I'll see how it goes from there.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
Pocketgps wrote:

I use it to modify the errors that are local to me so that it doesn't try to start a route down one of the 'known' errors. I let it submit these to MapShare and I currently allow "STRICT" updates from MapShare. I'll see how it goes from there.

Thanks Phil.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: