Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Don't Overlook Custom Mapping
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Don't Overlook Custom Mapping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Don't Overlook Custom Mapping Reply with quote

I recently wanted 1:25000 of Norfolk & Suffolk which would have put me back £240 or so with postage.

Someone on here mentioned the custom mapping option which one tends to forget and I must admit it is a pretty impressive service.As I wanted the more easterly area of the region the 110x110 km option filled the bill nicely and using the £10 voucher from some previous maps brought the cost down to about £185 with postage.Still expensive granted but a saving of over £50.

They even e-mailed me the area it would cover to see if it was all OK and gave me quite a bit extra as some of the map was sea,plus of course I have most of East Anglia all on one card instead of two.

It is a good service,don't overlook it.

Ian
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sea area gets added to the land mass and is a very welcome touch, I purchased a 25K scale self centred map based on Lancashire that included Morecombe Bay, which was converted to land mass.
Self centred isn't cheap but at least you get the coverage you want without messing around with loads of different cards especially when using 25K scale - Mike
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orderd at 10:30am yesterday morning,in my hands at 11:30am this morning.

Excellent service.

Ian
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in South Cheshire, the 1:25K Cheshire map seemed an obvious choice. However we are almost on a triple point between Cheshire, Staffordshire & Shropshire, so ideally wanted those covered as well. However the Staffordshire 1:25 was £100, much of which is built-up south staffs which was of no interest. Same for Shropshire.

I settled for a custom which covered most of Cheshire, North Shropshire, North Staffordshire and most of North Derbyshire (peak district). This cost well under half what the four counties would have cost and covers 99% of the area we walk in.

So yes, it is definitely worth considering the custome service.
ESBARK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i needed staffordshire , cheshire and derbyshire to cover my the area that I walk so I plumped for a 110 x 110 km map which saved me over £50. I ordered at 2-00 pm and received it the next morning.

EXCELLENT SERVICE
whiskers2009
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: How do you choose a route? Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm looking to get a custom map of Essex and Suffolk instead of buying two county maps. What I don't understand is how much area do you need to select, and how do you select the chosen area?
Thanks for your help!
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you choose a route? Reply with quote

whiskers2009 wrote:
Hi all,
I'm looking to get a custom map of Essex and Suffolk instead of buying two county maps. What I don't understand is how much area do you need to select, and how do you select the chosen area?
Thanks for your help!

Hi, I used Google Earth. Set the area I was interested in by setting a placemark pin in each corner then used the ruler to measure the distance for instance 50 km x 50 km. Then I worked out where the centre would be and ordered my centred map based on that. Remember they dont charge you for water and you can have this added to the map as extra land. (well it makes sense to me!!) If you ring them they are very helpful and if you tell them the area you are interested in they will ring you back with a quote.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whiskers,

AS johno99 says you can use Google Earth,or any map to measure your custom mapping rectangle.

However if it is important to you that the margins of the map cover a particular area then be careful where you put the centre as a couple of Km out will spoil your map.

For instance I wanted Norfolk and Suffolk but it was important I included as much of the north Norfolk coast and the eastern coast as possible,well if I had been out a bit on the centre point ( easy to do ) I would have missed it.

The best thing to do is to ring Satmap and tell them what you want,they will then send you via e-mail a graphic of your area.If this is OK then just accept it if not e-mail/call them back and they will adjust it for you till you are happy.

Don't forget that for £10 extra you can include Landranger 1:50000 as well.

It is an excellent service.

Ian
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bosun, they are good value.

One tip I would like to pass on regarding custom maps and Premium National Park maps in particular is:

On the Satmap, move the joystick to find the edge of the 25k or 50k OS map (it will be on a grid line) and follow it making a waypoint at every corner. The route may have lots of unforseen corners.

When you have made a route around the edge download it and view it in a route planner. You can then print it out for reference.
whiskers2009
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys I will give it a go!
rog62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whiskers2009.....

Tracklogs website has a useful facility that allows you to show the area covered by a variety of map dimensions (both 1:25k and 1:50k)...giving the grid reference at the centre....

http://www.tracklogs.co.uk/cgi-bin/publ/user.cgi?obj=shop&micro=as_shop_tracklogs&page=25K%20Site%20Centred
Jezza123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, great value. Plus the perpetual £10 off voucher (you get a new one with each new custom map) makes this more affordable.
I had a custom 1:25k 40km x 40km (centered on Ullscarf .726) added to my Northern GB map. No need to swap over sd cards when out and about.
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the tracklogs site, makes it very easy to choose the site centred map you need, just to bear in mind that if you live on the coast then you will need to decide where you want your water converted to land!

John

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: