Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anyone used Pimp-My-Nav (BMW POI software).... Good Support?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone used Pimp-My-Nav (BMW POI software).... Good Support?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveXIII
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Anyone used Pimp-My-Nav (BMW POI software).... Good Support? Reply with quote

Hello all;

Picked up my new car the other day - a used BMW with the I-Drive Nav.

I have been using the pocketgps speed camera database for a couple of years on my tomtom, and have been really pleased with it.

One of the things that attracted me to the BMW system was the function to add custom POIs, albeit via an aftermarket work-around.

I purchased the Pimp-My-Nav software from their website (of the same name) yesterday, but have heard absolutely nothing from them. I know that it states delivery can take 'up to 48 hours', but surely all they do is email a link to download the software. And that is probably automated as well.

I've paid $40 (via paypal) so the funds have cleared. As I haven't received any acknowledgment at all, I sent off an email a couple of hours ago.

Just wondered if anyone else has purchased the software, and if so, what the support was like.

Hopefully all will be sorted soon.....

Dave.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naver heard any bad reports before so this is likely to be a glitch. I don't get the point of this solution though as you don't get any alerts, just an on screen icon?
daveXIII
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply, Darren. Sounds like I have nothing to worry about.

I take your point about lack of alerts, but I'm not totally sold on the beeps or bongs I currently get from my tomtom. The volume never seems to be set right, depending on whether I'm having a bit of 'quiet time' in the early morning, or turning my music up in the evenings. Also, when I take calls on my hands-free, the other party is forever asking 'what's that beeping' (However, I'm guessing the newer hands-free compliant tomtoms would mute the alerts during a call).

The final straw is constantly removing the sodding thing to hide it from the thieving scum that seem to live near me. I had my first tomtom for nearly a year, and ALWAYS removed mount et al when leaving the car. I forgot my phone one day, ran back to my flat (locking the car behind me) only to get waylaid with a work call. Twenty minutes later broken glass and no tomtom.

All things considered, integrated nav is the way I (currently) want to go. Even if the I-Drive Nav is ten times the price for half the functionality. However, with a used car it is obviously better value.

I'm hoping I will just be able to include the Nav screen in my 'scan', especially on unfamiliar routes.

Only time will tell if works out, though....

Dave.

P.S. I will post again when all is sorted (or not).

[Edit: typo]

Last edited by daveXIII on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
daveXIII
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Pimp-My-Nav still in business?? Reply with quote

Still not heard a peep from 'Pimp My Nav'. Second email sent.

Very strange........
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've sent him a pm pointing to this thread and it hasn't been read yet. my guess is he's away or on holiday... it's a one-man operation so unfortunately a slight break can have slightly bigger consequences!

he's a decent bloke so i can't see him 'doing a runner' so to speak!!

MaFt
daveXIII
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MaFt, really kind of you.

At least I know contact has been made. I'm sure all will sort itself out.

Cheers.
BMW330
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone used Pimp-My-Nav (BMW POI software).... Good Supp Reply with quote

daveXIII wrote:
Hello all;

Picked up my new car the other day - a used BMW with the I-Drive Nav.

I have been using the pocketgps speed camera database for a couple of years on my tomtom, and have been really pleased with it.

One of the things that attracted me to the BMW system was the function to add custom POIs, albeit via an aftermarket work-around.

I purchased the Pimp-My-Nav software from their website (of the same name) yesterday, but have heard absolutely nothing from them. I know that it states delivery can take 'up to 48 hours', but surely all they do is email a link to download the software. And that is probably automated as well.

I've paid $40 (via paypal) so the funds have cleared. As I haven't received any acknowledgment at all, I sent off an email a couple of hours ago.

Just wondered if anyone else has purchased the software, and if so, what the support was like.

Hopefully all will be sorted soon.....

Dave.

Dave

Suggest you contact via the website with another email address - some ISP's quarantine the email response due to the word "pimp" in the email address.

Cheers
daveXIII
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sorted now.

New disc works really well. Nav system doesn't seem to know the difference, and the speed cameras locations are displayed nicely.

Just a side note for anyone considering this software, you need to purchase UltraISO as well. I assumed that the trial version of this software would give me 21 days to see if wanted to continue using pimp-my-nav, but there is a 300MB file limit on the trial version. Full version of UltraISO is 30 dollars.

Cheers, Dave.
daveXIII
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a week or so using Pimp-My-Nav, and have decided it is brilliant.

Camera locations displayed nicely, and I actually like the lack of beeps and bongs (I never use voice guidance either, as I don't like the interruptions to the radio/CD). Just glancing at the map every so often is all you need to do to know what is coming up ahead.

Heartily recommended......
johnmgregson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Pimpmynav support Reply with quote

I too have been experiencing difficulty in getting any response from Pimpmynav. I ordered the software, which came through via email with a day or so, but I have no reply for the last 5 days to my registration email. Does anyone know if this 'one man ban' is on holiday at the moment?
davenash
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: PIMP MY NAV Reply with quote

i ORDERED THE PIMP MY NAV SOFTWARE AND SURE ENOUGH IT TOOK AROUND 3 WORKING DAYS TO ARRIVE. WHEN IT DID I UNZIPPED IT WHICH GAVE ME AN MSI INSTALLATION FILE WHICH REQUIRED A KEY TO AUTHORISE IT SO I THEN HAD TO WAIT ANOTHER 2 DAYS FOR THE KEY TO BE EMAILED TO ME - WHY THEY COULDNT HAVE ENCLOSED THIS IN THE ZIP FILE ESCAPES ME. NOW TRYING TO DECIDE WHICH SPEED CAMS TYPE I NEED - OV2, ASC OR WHATEVER.
Copilot Live 7
RNS510
iPhone4 + Navigon
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please turn CAPS LOCK off.

You can use any of those formats they all contain the same data. Pimp My Nav supports both OV2, CSV and a variety of other formats.
davenash
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks for that - now I can't find single tomtom ov2 file - any ideas?

Dave

PaulB2005 wrote:
Please turn CAPS LOCK off.

You can use any of those formats they all contain the same data. Pimp My Nav supports both OV2, CSV and a variety of other formats.

Copilot Live 7
RNS510
iPhone4 + Navigon
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download the "Other CSV" file set as that includes a single file which, as Paul has pointed out your software will support - Mike
BMW330
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: PIMP MY NAV Reply with quote

davenash wrote:
i ORDERED THE PIMP MY NAV SOFTWARE AND SURE ENOUGH IT TOOK AROUND 3 WORKING DAYS TO ARRIVE. WHEN IT DID I UNZIPPED IT WHICH GAVE ME AN MSI INSTALLATION FILE WHICH REQUIRED A KEY TO AUTHORISE IT SO I THEN HAD TO WAIT ANOTHER 2 DAYS FOR THE KEY TO BE EMAILED TO ME - WHY THEY COULDNT HAVE ENCLOSED THIS IN THE ZIP FILE ESCAPES ME. NOW TRYING TO DECIDE WHICH SPEED CAMS TYPE I NEED - OV2, ASC OR WHATEVER.

Dave

The activation is unique to your installation, which is why it can't be generated until you have installed the software. High levels of fraud are the reason for the transactions taking a little longer to process at the moment.

You can use ov2 or asc, however ov2 is easier as the file format is well-structured, therefore removing any requirement to map file fields to database fields.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: