Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New software release
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New software release
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marty-w
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: New software release Reply with quote

I had a reply to an email from Satmap and they said that there would be a software release this week and that the online route planner would be live before the end of the month (hopefully!)

I also asked about the difference in the distance when you convert trail to track and the distance shown on the log page. I've had quite a noticeable difference - not sure which is the most accurate. The reply from Satmap didn't really answer the question - they were talking about trail & track not the log. (distance/speed/sunrise-sunset/ etc.) Any ideas anyone??

I also asked about the battery problemos - i.e. no way of telling when the battery is fully charged and no accurate battery life reading. They agreed that this is a major problem and something they will look into. They did say that with the rechargeable battery it is difficult to get an accurate reading as it is either full or not. ??? Tis my major gripe - if I do a 4-6 hour walk it's guesswork as to how long the battery will last before needing a charge. Although saying that I have had well over 12 hours use from one charge - they did claim that u could get 24 hours in their test!!

Tested the Satmap to the max. today with a walk up Black Hill in the snow - from the trig point there were no discernible paths whatsoever on the way back down to Crowden and the machine led me across the pathless moors very accurately and the map and compass stayed firmly in the backpack. Smile

-martin-
ed_crouch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine lasts for ages on the LiPo battery. Probably all day with the screen on (over 8 hours). With screensaver and powersave, I can believe 24 hours.

I too realised that you have to leave the unit on to charge it! I've been attempting to charge it switched off, and the battery finally died last night!

I set the screen to switch off after 15secs, and put it on charge overnight. Proper job.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,

In the instructions that come with the Li-Pol battery it recommends switching the unit OFF to charge it.I have always done this and had no problems.

Ian
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont understand the comment about not knowing when the battery is charged and how much battery is left. I have the battery meter in the top right corner which I think is pretty accurate.

I also turn the unit off before charging with no problems. The unit lights up briefly every couple of minutes and I notice when restarting it appears to have been 'sleeping' and instantly starts.

I disabled this feature once but it still charged OK no problem. Since Satmap reinstalled the software again after a minor problem it has reverted back to 'sleeping' during charging, no problem with that, but in any case charges OK.

John
ed_crouch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious...!

I'll try it again next time...

Mine switches on as soon as you stick the plug in it.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,

After it switches on when you stick the plug in just turn it off.

Like Johno says it seems to go into a "having a bit of a nap" mode as when you pull the plug out after charging it immediately springs to life with satellites located and all.

I rather like this feature,you can instantly see from the battery meter that it has fully charged without firing it up from cold to check.

Ian
marty-w
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a reply to johno with regard to the battery.

When charging, the lightning symbol never disappears so you never know when it is fully charged. (Satmap confirmed this as a problem they are looking at).

The battery charge indicator will always show all bars lit up even when it has been running for over 12 hours. When it is nearly empty of charge it will drop to one below full and then switch off. In my experience it will never drop any more than that and Satmap again confirmed this as a problem they will look into.

When charging u can't actually turn off the machine it is always 'on' which is probably why it takes so long to charge. If you press a button when it is charging it instantly comes on even though you've switched it off.

As I said before, the battery will last a long time - BUT - I need to know how much charge is left - like on a mobile phone you can press a button and it gives you an accurate percentage. I don't want to be in a situation where it turns off when I need it because I don't know what state the battery is in. Of course I do have a map and compass! Smile

As I mentioned previously, Satmap agreed with me that the situation regarding the battery is not good and they are looking into it.

-martin-
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johno99 wrote:
I also turn the unit off before charging with no problems. The unit lights up briefly every couple of minutes and I notice when restarting it appears to have been 'sleeping' and instantly starts.

It also beeps when it flashes the screen - this has driven me mad before now when charging the device overnight in hotel rooms etc.

You can disable this by going to Settings/ Power Control make sure the "Alert When Screen Off" is set to OFF if you leave it set to "Screen alerts Every Minute" you get the beep beep and a couple of flashes of the backlight, wait till you get woken up all night by something flashing and beeping but being tired you cannot locate what is causing the noise! - Mike
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news about the update.

I hope the also update the online user manual, it is still 1.16. I know that there were a few functionality changes in 1.2 and I am sure there will be others in 1.3. It needs revisiting in the light of experience an tips shared on this forum.
em194543
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's the last business day of the week, so do we think we will see the new software update so we can use it on the A10 this weekend?

Cheers

Mark
Westlothian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOT YET !
marty-w
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they did say this week but I don't know where their week starts and ends or their months. Smile

'by the end of the month' was November last time for the route planner!! Sad

they didn't mention what the upgrade was going to contain either. Pretty much everything works fine for me apart from those problemos previously mentioned. I've now decided to go off the map for the distance of walk rather than the trip log. It seems to be more accurate.

I'm certainly gettin my moneys worth out of the machine - used it 6 days out of the last 7. It's just so much easier to check ure in the right place rather than have to faff about gettin the map out everytime. Especially when it's minus in winter and when its very windy.

-martin-
lightshipman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get problems now and again with charging, if the device is left on accidently and the battery flattens,it will not charge for some reason, I have to fit the disposable batt tray and switch on momentarily. I then refit the Lipo and plug in and it charges.OK.
As Marty-w says what a machine especially in the cold, not having to open maps, or even stopping to look at a map, I reckon it saves at least half an hour on a 4 hour ride just looking at maps.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, after moaning about it in another thread, the User Manual on the website as been brought up to date - to version 1.2!.

Daft timing, with anew version due any day.
Westlothian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manual .pdf file would be much more useful if they prepared it correctly as a portable text document with images.

This would let you search for keywords, bring the file size down and generally get more functionality. At least the bookmarks have been added.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: