Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - gatso forward facing ??????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

gatso forward facing ??????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a Peek Camera to me. I'll see if these can be used front and rear facing...

ETA: All the info i can find is copy and paste of each others sites. All seem to indicate these are rear facing type cameras. Is this type approved for front firing?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have some peek cam's near us which are all rear-facing.

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than for complete database accuracy, which I wholly support, does it realy make any difference whether the cam is forward or rear facing??

If you have 'inadvertently slipped a couple of MPH over the speed limit', The PGPSW database in conjunction with your chosen satnav will give you ample warning of the presence of a fixed cam, so whether it is forward or rear facing is realy irrelevant.

What is more relevant (for some systems) is that the direction of travel (to get 'caught') is fairly accurate, as an incorrect direction will suppress the camera alert completely.

I also get the impression that the 'powers that be' care not a jot about flashing oncoming traffic, even at night, whether or not the cam is certified for it. There is a Gatso near me (2865) that frequently flashes speeding Eastbound traffic, even though it is on the left hand verge for catching Westbound traffic and there are no lines on the Eastbound carriageway
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to aj2052, here is a photo from the actual camera under discussion, proof positive that it takes forward facing photos!

pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an expensive way to settle the argument Crying or Very sad
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bet he was driving in reverse.....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, to sum up...

It is a forward-facing camera now, but was rear-facing at some time in the past (witness old dashes on road).

2. It appears to work exactly like a normal Truvelo camera (witness 3 buried sensor wires and following 3 white lines in Google images) but in this case is MADE by Gatso (the company). Further weight to the argument to NOT call them by the normal brand names in the database.

3. Any discrepancy in the position is very minor, and the haggling is over whether the icon should be positioned at:
- the exact point where the camera is sited,
- or in the middle of the carriageway at that point,
- or where the camera actually senses you and measures your speed (i.e. the faint wires BEFORE the whilte lines).

4. Add to that the fact that a precise spot on the Google submission map will NOT relate to exactly the same spot on a Tomtom or a different brand of SatNav, due to all sorts of rounding errors etc.

I've lost track of what submissions have been made for changes, but it appears that i) any positional change was too small for a free subscription, and ii) It hasn't changed from a "Gatso" because it still is one!
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and 5 the OP has got his lifetime membership now so providing that the heading data for the camera is correct it's all become a bit irrelevant.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:

and 5 the OP has got his lifetime membership now

So he has... hadn't noticed that.
Quote:
so providing that the heading data for the camera is correct it's all become a bit irrelevant.

I don't think so.
The general questions of whether we should still be referring to the cameras by out of date brand names, and where the icons should actually be placed on the map are still relevant.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine that it senses between the hidden sensers and the white lines because the vehicle is only just touching the white lines, also possibly noted on the pic but probaly not seen is that it identifies it as Lane 1 so presumably it identifies each lane, personally i would think the ideal postion is central on the tree lanes because thier is another camera within the same area on the central island checking the other incoming town carriageway so i would oresume a need to avoid spurious warnings?.
Incedently it is not my catch, but my daughters, Kids eh?.
I also think personally that these particullar cameras are a little bit of a trap because welford road coming out of leiceser consists of all incoming traffic paths from both sides with 3 and 4 lanes thru 3 sets of traffic lights causing everbody vying for front postion to get to ulimate outgoing exits on both sides thus causing a absolute wave of vehicles down this road, so in the daytime usually have to be quick to beat the wave if joining the road, in my daughters case she had just pulled of a nearside parking place only a couple of hundred yards or so prior to this camera and I know before anybody says its no excuse..
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I don't think so.
The general questions of whether we should still be referring to the cameras by out of date brand names, and where the icons should actually be placed on the map are still relevant.

On the contrary, whatever 'type' they actually turn out to be, the majority will refer know them as GATSOs as the name is now synonymous with fixed speed cameras.

As we do not differentiate between forward and rear facing types (with good reason) I see no benefit in turning the world upside down by changing the current naming conventions.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

On the contrary, whatever 'type' they actually turn out to be, the majority will refer know them as GATSOs as the name is now synonymous with fixed speed cameras.

In this case, the argument raged over whether it should be called a "Truvelo" when it plainly had "Gatso" written on the front. That can cause confusion, especially when lifetime subscriptions are at stake.

Darren wrote:
As we do not differentiate between forward and rear facing types (with good reason)

So why do we give them different names in the database and ask submitters to specify the type, I wonder?

Darren wrote:
I see no benefit in turning the world upside down by changing the current naming conventions.

Now *that* may be a fair point. Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
So why do we give them different names in the database and ask submitters to specify the type, I wonder?

Ah, now that is because the direction aspect is pertinent. If we have a camera located in the central reservation, knowing it's type can help us in figuring out the directional data Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: