Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newsletter Video Links Issue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newsletter Video Links Issue
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Links to WM Video from Newsletter not working Reply with quote

Great idea to produce a instruction movie to help installation of POIs on the TomTom....hope if this is successful, that other instruction videos for other makes will follow.
Just one problem two of the links in the Newsletter do not work. The one to see the video in WM merely takes me to the Forum index. I don't have Quick time so have not yet seen the Video. Rolling Eyes

However, now I have found Mike's post above, that link does work - so thanks Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Links to WM Video from Newsletter not working Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
Just one problem two of the links in the Newsletter do not work. The one to see the video in WM merely takes me to the Forum index. I don't have Quick time so have not yet seen the Video. :roll

Just checked the links and both QT and WMV are working for me from the Newsletter?

Which other link doesn't work?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Links to WM Video from Newsletter not working Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Gee-Pee wrote:
Just one problem two of the links in the Newsletter do not work. The one to see the video in WM merely takes me to the Forum index. I don't have Quick time so have not yet seen the Video. :roll

Just checked the links and both QT and WMV are working for me from the Newsletter?

Hi Darren
The QT link appears to work fine but as I don't have QT it obviously does not run; the other link takes me to a page which says "The forum does not exist"....this one, here
The Win Media player link takes me to another page of the Newsletter, not to WMP, which I would have expected.
I can let you have a screen print later if you want - got to run out at the moment, though.
mishmash
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Am I wrong? Reply with quote

I watched this video. I have been doing it slightly different but works ok. The thing that puzzles me is I thought you had to unzip the downloaded file before you could drop them into your tomtom.Am I wrong Question
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I wrong? Reply with quote

mishmash wrote:
I watched this video. I have been doing it slightly different but works ok. The thing that puzzles me is I thought you had to unzip the downloaded file before you could drop them into your tomtom.Am I wrong Question

There is a certain amount of discussion about this. As you can see from the video I just opened the zip file and then did a copy and paste and it worked. Maybe some Windows require you to unzip before you can copy.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Links to WM Video from Newsletter not working Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Gee-Pee wrote:

Neither of the links work for me from the Newsletter, Darren. WMV just shows a pgpsw page with a hole where the video should be, containing a small box with a red cross. QT offers to download QT for me, which I refuse, because I've already got it installed on my PC, so it too then shows the page with hole and box with red cross.

Win XP Pro X64 Edition, Version 2003, SP2. Firefox v3.0.5.

However when I click the links at the top of this thread, both versions work happily.

In my ignorance, I'm thinking the video is embedded in this page and runs from pgpsw website, whereas the Newsletter link wants to run it from my PC and somehow can't. Don't pay too much attention to this theory as I'm what is generally known as a higgoramus!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd, both work for me both from the Newsletter, the website version and the links. Could be a Mac/Pc thing.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Links to WM Video from Newsletter not working Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
In my ignorance, I'm thinking the video is embedded in this page and runs from pgpsw website, whereas the Newsletter link wants to run it from my PC and somehow can't. Don't pay too much attention to this theory as I'm what is generally known as a higgoramus!

The links in the Newsletter should resolve to the same links as the links on the website. Constant contact add a level of redirection to enable them to provide click stats.

I do know that spaces in the URL either in the page name or parameters does throw Constant Contact, but this cant be the case here as they work for some (including me) and not others.

Confused of Essex... Confused
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Outlook Express, and when I clicked either link I was getting an ActiveX control error.

However, if I change the Virus Protection on the Security tab in Options from "Restricted sites zone" to "Internet zone", both links work correctly.
Samsung Galaxy S21
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlike "normal" links in emails, these links only give me a webpage inside Outlook Express - normally a link would pass me off to a full screen page.

I've just tried it using my Domain webmail and it DOES work from the email in that. So is it Outlook Express (and presumably some other email programs - I'm the only one old enough to still be using OE)? I may try it using Entourage on the BigMac.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
However, if I change the Virus Protection on the Security tab in Options from "Restricted sites zone" to "Internet zone", both links work correctly.

Mine is already set to "Internet zone"!!!! Laughing

Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dennis, clicking on the link gives me a webpage inside Outlook Express, but the video plays correctly.
Samsung Galaxy S21
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entourage on BigMac gives me a Firefox page which plays the Quicktime version.

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I may try it using Entourage on the BigMac.

Try OS X Mail, much better than Entourage.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I know about building web pages will fit on the perimeter of a postage stamp.

But the links do have a .jsp (Windows Journal for tablet?) extension. Perhaps this may confuse the file associations.

Either way, IE users will need ActveX enabled and FF users will need either the Quicktime or WMP plugins installed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: