Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Happy New Year! A look back at 2008...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Happy New Year! A look back at 2008...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Happy New Year! A look back at 2008... Reply with quote

Haapy new yearI don't think anyone could argue that 2008 has been dull! We have certainly enjoyed the year at PocketGPSWorld.com, and look forward to another technology filled year in 2009.

May I take this opportunity to thank everybody for the support (and understanding) over the last year. I particularly want to extend our thanks to all the moderators and verifiers who help us run the site. And I must not forget MaFt who does a sterling job maintaining the Speed Camera Database...

Myself, Darren, and Rob wish you all a happy and prosperous 2009 from PocketGPSWorld.com....

Well yet another year has rushed past and what an exciting year it has been. We have had mergers and takeovers, some familiar names have fallen by the wayside, and GPS devices just keep getting better and cheaper...

This year for me was all about connected devices and the long awaited GPS iPhone.

Click here for our GPS review of the events of 2008...

Darren....
For me the saddest aspect has been the demise or withdrawal of a number of GPS companies from the market. MyGuide went into administration, ViaMichelin and Panasonic abandoned the GPS Market and Sony pulled out of the European SatNav market.

On the upside we've been working hard on the database and some other projects which are still top secret, hopefully we'll have some news on this at some point this year! Mike meanwhile, has been working hard behind the camera lens and in the edit suite creating video reviews and tutorials.

2009 will certainly be interesting but the economic downturn is likely to hamper investment and development with companies willing to risk funding new projects. I predict a period of rationalisation and contemplation, maybe they'll even have time to work on bug fixes!
soggs_k9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Average Speed Cameras Reply with quote

I live in Ayrshire where we have had a lengthy trial of average speed cameras over an extensive stretch of the A77 between Kilmarnock and Girvan.

I have found the dual carriageway stretches to be a nuisance, but manageable, as slow traffic tends to stay in the nearside lane allowing you travel at the limit where appropriate. I do have to admit to setting the cruise control and going into auto pilot mode on occasion, especially in the 50 stretch.

On the single carriageway section however, I have found a real problem of slow traffic causing bunching and slowing everyone to a crawl. What I think happens is, someone out for a trundle and in no hurry decides that 35 is fast enough, even though it's a 60 limit. A car (or heaven forbid an HGV which just can't get past) catches up and is afraid to overtake in case he/she incurs the wrath of the camera gods in some way. The result can be a long and tedious journey taking far longer than Sally Sat Nav predicts & the frustration can cause its own problems with dangerous overtakes etc.

There is also the problem of alternative routes on minor roads (like the coast road via Turnberry). Traffic will use these roads to try to make up time lost behind the '20's plenty' driver or just to avoid the cameras in general. From my own experience this just leads to white vans & rep-mobiles travelling at mach speed on less suitable roads. The cameras may cut crashes on the main road but I'd be interested to see the stats for the surrounding roads since this trial started.

It is hard to argue with a measure which enforces limits over a large area rather than at one specific place, whether you like the idea of cameras or not. I think they are probably a good idea when targeted at road works or similar but are no replacement for fixing what makes a dangerous road dangerous.

I suppose I am like most people and listen to the road safety message but only hear another bullying tax.
Lastly, like any other technological solution, remember there are stupid people out there!

Stu

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: