Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 60CS & Memory Map problem ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 60CS & Memory Map problem ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murphy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Garmin 60CS & Memory Map problem ? Reply with quote

Hi,
Can anyone help.

I cannot get Memory Map to recognise my GPSMAP 60CS connected via USB.

When selecting GArmin on set-up , it only gives COM ports. I have tried to identify if there is a virtual COM port assigned. Cannot find one.

I have tried all the COM ports (1-9) - no joy.

Everything from Mapsource works fine.

Also I can download from Memory Map to my IPAQ , and then from the IPAQ to my GPS ?

Just not from PC vesion of Memory Map directly to the GPS.

Question
mcgus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no solution for you I'm afraid but I am having the same issue with Anquet. been trying to work this one out over the last few days so if I crack it I'll post details. Anyone??
PP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to this game and I paid some serious dosh for memory-map and the 60CS.But I also have exactly the same problem (via USB), so I bought the serial lead and followed the help menu in Memory-map......Still no joy! The 60CS won't download to memory-map. The only thing that I've been able to do is to transfer some waypoints from MM to the 60CS via the serial lead. Sorry I can't offer any advice yet, but have you had any luck since?
Murphy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - no joy.

I can download via my iPAQ to the 60CS.

Guess we need Memory map to sort it out !

Rich
PP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys. I think its working! 60CS and MM. Garmin answered the error report I sent to 'em. Basically it said;
Hi,

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe Support.

The SPO_SERIALPORT error usually occurs when there is a conflict with some other I/O device. Make sure no other devices are not in use with the comport (I.e palm pilot..etc..) also try stepping the baud rate down till it works.
Communication/Comport problems can be caused by any number of reasons.
Certain devices such as a serial mouse, palm pilot, printers and scanners
may affect the GARMIN's ability to use a particular comport and you may need to disable some device in order to see the NMEA strings.
If any other serial devices (PalmPilots, scanners, digitizers, trackballs,
serial mouse, etc.) you may need to uninstall or disable the drivers. You
may need to contact the device manufacturer for assistance. The Palm Pilot, for instance, installs a program called HotSync which has a tendency to hog the COM port even if it is used on a USB port. Please exit out of the
HotSync or ActiveSync for your handheld PDA.

Thanks for contacting Garmin.

So what I ended up doing was actually uninstalling ActiveSyn on my PC and Bingo its communicating right now. I havn't played a lot with it this evening and I know I'll have to figure it out further, but its definitely working. The drop down menu for importing from GPS is no longer greyed out and I've imported and exported data to and from the 60CS.
The PC data transfer cable I got from Maplin (Code KQ03D at £29.99).
Also I got a message from Anquet about the USB support - Anquet at this time does not support USB, but may do in the future. But I preferred the MM product anyway. I'm a lot happier now.
Murphy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no joy.

Which COM port do you use ?
(On device manager - no virtual ports are assigned to the GPS - despite it being hooked up and working with mapsource)

Also the baud rates are greyed out - so can't cahnge anyway.

Help !

Rich
PP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Rich, please note that I ain't too computer literate, but I'll tell you exactly what I've done to get the 60CS and MM working.
I'm using the 60CS with the PC data cable from Maplin (Code KQ03D - now £24.99).
On the 60CS I went into main menu,
set up,
interface
and selected Garmin - in the USB (Garmin Data Format) window above it reads 'Not connected'.
On the PC, I had uninstalled activeSync
I ran MM,
clicked on GPS in the top tool bar,
in the drop down menu clicked on GPS set up,
in the Positioning device manufacturer drop down menu selected Gamin - the model is greyed out,
and in the serial port selected com port 1 - Baud rate, Parity, Data bits and Stop bits are all greyed out.
Click on OK and wait a few seconds.....and in the bottom right corner of the screen (next to where it gives the curser coordinates) it should give a message saying GPS: No position (if the 60CS is not near a window) or GPS: 2D fix only, or even GPS: OK if the 60CS has a good view of the sky and is switched 'on' of course.
Also from the tool bar under GPS again, in the drop down menu, you should have acess to Current position and Lock on options. With the import to GPS and export to GPS options, all the marks, route and tracks should be filled in black.
At this point you can import and export any data.
I truly hope I've been some help. I'm gonn ago to bed now, goodnight and most of all Good luck Rich. Its worth the hassle when its up and running.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: