Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Voice activation for speedcams using Nuvi
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Voice activation for speedcams using Nuvi
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicknacknoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: New Voice activation for speedcams using Nuvi Reply with quote

Apologies if sent twice. Regularly download UK speedzoned cams to Nuvi 310D; download and unzip on pc, rename 'UKcams' and date, then upload file to Nuvi using poi loader; have downloaded liz-speedzoned and unzipped in same folder; exactly how do I download to Nuvi to make them work together, please.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instructions are here

If you don't have enough free room on the Nuvi for the mp3 it won't include them in the transfer.
nicknacknoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Liz-speedzoned voice activation Reply with quote

Thanks for reply; I have a 2GB card in Nuvi 310d. How do I know if device is full? Do I drag 'Liz' into UK file and download to Nuvi or do something more specific?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How do I know if device is full?

If you can see the contents of the Nuvi you can see how much space is avalible. I would guess you'd need at least the same amount of space avalible on the unit (or your SD Card) as the fioles take up on the PC.

Quote:
Do I drag 'Liz' into UK file and download to Nuvi or do something more specific?

Shocked
Instructions are still here
nicknacknoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Voice activation Reply with quote

I have read the instructions several times and cannot load, that's why I was asking for further help as an (old) beginner! Tried loading both to Nuvi and SD card. Crying or Very sad If loaded, do the voices show up in POI Nuvi index as do the speed camers data bases?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah i see..

The voices won't show up at all on the Nuvi. The voices are only triggered once you drive near a camera and the alert is set off. The default Bong sound is replaced by the recorded voice warning.

These are not voices for directions like the ones that come loaded with the unit.

Try a demo route to see if the voices have loaded.....
nicknacknoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Voice activation Reply with quote

Thanks again; I tried a simulated route which did not activate the voice; I shall try a demo route now that the gritters have been out. Does the actual roadside camera trigger the Nuvi and thus activate the voice as you pass by? Confused
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I tried a simulated route which did not activate the voice

Did you get a Bong noise? Did you see an alert banner? Did you see an icon? It's possible with the older Nuvi you won't see alerts on a demo run as it's always just under the speed limit.

Quote:
Does the actual roadside camera trigger the Nuvi and thus activate the voice as you pass by?

No. These devices have no detection capability.

The database you download is a list of co-ordinates where known cameras exist. These are called Points Of Interest (POIs). You can download others which include banks, petrol stations, supermarkets, churches etc.

The Sped Camera Database contains extra information which creates a Proximity Alert so that when you are a preset distance from the camera location an alert is triggered. By default the alert is a Bong noise. If you add the Voice Alerts you will get a spoken alert instead.

Couple of questions.

1) You stated at the beginning "rename 'UKcams' and date" what did you rename?

2) You have downloaded the Garmin Voice files? Are the files inside the zip file .ogg files or .mp3? They should be .mp3.

You should then have a folder of files. Each CSV camera file should have a matching BMP icon file and a matching Voice mp3 file.

i.e.

GATSO.CSV
GATSO.BMP
GATSO.MP3
REDLIGHT.CSV
REDLIGHT.BMP
REDLIGHT.MP3
etc

(The above is an example and yours may be different but the rule is for each CSV file you should have a matching BMP and MP3.)
nicknacknoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: voice activation Reply with quote

Thanks for your patience; back from a run. The Nuvi still picks up the cameras with a red banner and speed limit and bong; the new voice is not activated yet. I download the Garmin speedzoned data base which contains a csv file and a bitmap for each speed. I put these into My documents/My Garmin and rename them from the down load code to UK or EURO cams with a date eg 29.11.08. Then use poi loader to upload to Nuvi which puts them in Custom poi. The Liz file for the Garmin contains OGG files for each speed. I have put the Liz file in the UKcam file and downloaded without success. I suspect I am not following the correct procedure either because I am not inserting the liz file into the speedcam file properly or I have downloaded the incorrect files? The Nuvi in question has both Bluetooth and MP3 player etc. a Halford's special!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: voice activation Reply with quote

nicknacknoo wrote:
Thanks for your patience; back from a run. The Nuvi still picks up the cameras with a red banner and speed limit and bong; the new voice is not activated yet. I download the Garmin speedzoned data base which contains a csv file and a bitmap for each speed. I put these into My documents/My Garmin and rename them from the down load code to UK or EURO cams with a date eg 29.11.08. Then use poi loader to upload to Nuvi which puts them in Custom poi.

And therein may well lie your problem! The voice files are named to match their accompanying speed camera files. If you rename the camera files then the voice files will no longer match. I suspect this could be the cause.
nicknacknoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Voice activation Reply with quote

Ihave now downloaded UK speedzoned - MsCxZ - unzipped; then copied and pasted Liz-speedzoned into the MsCxZ file, then downloaded as usual with poi loader. I've simulated a journey to Gatso 64, on the A59. The red banner appears, the speed warning of 40 appears and the bong sounds.... but no Liz voice. What else can I do Darren? Rolling Eyes The Liz files are .ogg; has that anything to do with it?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Voice activation Reply with quote

nicknacknoo wrote:
The Liz files are .ogg; has that anything to do with it?

The .ogg files are for TomTom devices. I've just spotted an incorrect link on the Garmin page, the 'Click Here' part took you to the correct Garmin page but a stray hyperlink on the image itself pointed to the TomTom page, my fault and my apologies!

I've now hurriedly corrected the error, follow the links from here to re-download in the correct format.
nicknacknoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: voice activation for Nuvi 310d Reply with quote

I have now downloaded the Garmin Liz chime speedzoned base, copied and pasted it into the most recent UK speedcam data base; with the same result. the Liz file now shows up as mp3 and when I open them on the pc., play the voices with Real player. Liz's voice has not replaced Garmin's voice on the Nuvi though. Am I a Tad nearer!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you list the first 10 files in the directory where you hold the files for loading onto the Nuvi?

Are you definately telling POILoader to look in the right folder for the files?
nicknacknoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Voice activation for Nuvi Reply with quote

I'm not absolutely sure what you mean by 'directory'; C.\Documents+settings\Nick\My Documents\My Garmin; I download speedcams to a folder I have called 'My Garmin' which contains the UK speedcam and Euro speedcam bases. I copy and paste Liz into this folder; in this folder there are;-1. Liz-m-siren-single; 2. Need help HTML doc; 3. licence 4.pocketgps-uk-gatso-20 bit 5. 20 csv 6. gatso 30 bit 7. gatso 30 csv 9. gatso 40 bit - - -and so on.
I then use poi loader to download the folder containing the above to the Nuvi; it seems to download all the speedcams but not the liz voices even though I now have the correct voice files which play on the pc with Real Player. Should I be putting the voice files somewhere else or using a different process? I said I was an old beginner!! Embarassed

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: