Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - refresh rate
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

refresh rate
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharring
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: refresh rate Reply with quote

Hi

Has anyone noticed a distinct drop in screen refresh rates since upgrading to navcore 8.3 ?

I have very few POI's displayed as I know this can affect refesh rates but the refesh rate is very noticeable, especially in town/city centres when there is more detail present.

I also upgraded my maps at the same time, do you think this could also effect refresh rates ?
cutslick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found exactly the same thing. However if you are willing to dabble a bit (it really doesn't involve much) you could try Navcore v8.203 for the new x40 range http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/navcore_8.203.9717.go940.cab
I'm currently using this with v8.15 maps and v7 Loquendo and my 920T is back to v7 Navcore smoothness. All features seem to work too plus the bonus of a nice new set of icons Very Happy
If you do give it try make sure you back up your current configuration using Windows explorer Wink
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cutslick wrote:
I found exactly the same thing. However if you are willing to dabble a bit (it really doesn't involve much) you could try Navcore v8.203 for the new x40 range http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/navcore_8.203.9717.go940.cab
I'm currently using this with v8.15 maps and v7 Loquendo and my 920T is back to v7 Navcore smoothness. All features seem to work too plus the bonus of a nice new set of icons Very Happy
If you do give it try make sure you back up your current configuration using Windows explorer Wink

Have you been able to connect to GPRS Traffic with that setup? Traffic stopped working for me when I had installed 8.203 on my 720.
cutslick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use RDS-TMC traffic and can confirm it connects fine running v8.203, I tried it yesterday. Not sure about GPRS Traffic though as I don't use it.
Steven0161
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will this work on the 520 and often wondered how do you install it ?
cutslick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spotted a few 520 users running it so I would say yes. It is certainly worth a try but as always make a back up your current configuration first using Windows explorer (sorry if you are already aware of this Smile).
My method was to update my 920T to Navcore 8.010 and 8.15 W&CE maps (don't worry that you can't access this map using 8.010 because when you install 8.203 you will be able to). Next I extracted the contents of http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/navcore_8.203.9717.go940.cab
to a folder on my PC using winrar.. I then copied the contents of this folder to my TT using explorer over-writing everything when prompted. I now had a running 920T with 8.203 and 8.15 but no computer voice!. So next I downloaded the v7 Loquendo (x30) file that someone had kindly posted recently, sorry I can't remember who. I deleted the contents on my existing Loquendo folder (6.9 voices) and copied the contents of the new one in (having extracted it again with winrar). Job done Very Happy
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Affermative Steven, it is working well on my Go 520... Follow the instructions explained by Cutslick... important to use Winrar not Winzip to unpack both sets of files to the PC hard drive... and backup, copy, paste ect using Explorer,... leave Home WELL out of the operation.

Alan.
Steven0161
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlandEi wrote:
Quote:

Affermative Steven, it is working well on my Go 520... Follow the instructions explained by Cutslick... important to use Winrar not Winzip to unpack both sets of files to the PC hard drive... and backup, copy, paste ect using Explorer,... leave Home WELL out of the operation.

Alan.

I have followed the instructions and it works a treat but I have not been able to connect to GPRS traffic which is a bit of a Laughing
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, Uffe 73 confirmed that one on THE other thread...

Alan.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlandEi wrote:
Quote:

Alan.

What difference does using Winrar make?
Infama
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlandEi wrote:
Quote:

Alan.

Whats wrong with using WinZip extraction?
cutslick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not entirely sure that it should make any difference to be honest. I just happen to have Winrar on my PC as the default compress / extraction tool. I did read in another thread someone had problems when extracting using Winzip then I think they tried with Winrar and it worked (don't quote my as I may have misread this) Very Happy
So by all means give Winzip a try. If you have backed up prior to experimentation then you can always go back if it doesn't work.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winrar has the ability to just replace certain files within folders and sub folders leaving old files alone, Winzip on the other hand will replace the old folder with the new one.
As the update only contains certain files that require updating using Winzip to extract direct to the device will ruin the existing file structure on the device, Winrar works reliably for this - Mike
cutslick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, useful to know.
Infama
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike and others.

This worked really well.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: