Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT7 and Australia..(Slighly OT)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT7 and Australia..(Slighly OT)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: TT7 and Australia..(Slighly OT) Reply with quote

For those that might be contemplating a visit...I am just on my way back home after the best part of three months 'on the road.'
I have been using TT7, v 7.910 (9185), together with Australia map
v 815.2059. (In addition, I also had with me CoPilot Live 7, v 7.70.134, which although worked well...I just happen to prefer TT.)
The first thing is to be aware of is that the the PGPSW safety camera database is, not unnaturally, very limited....you do need to be very much aware and keep your eyes open, (or strictly observe the speed limits as most Aussies seem to do!). I made a note of around 50 camera sites which I uploaded to the TT map correction option, but in the end, I simply gave up.
I had no TT problems with the roads I was travelling on, even some of the outback roads were shown, but, if you are serious in the outback then you must carry detailed maps (eg Hema's Great Desert Tracks,) and a satellite phone which can easily be rented.
Distances are absolutely vast and it probably pays to have the filling station POI ticked accordingly ! You really notice this, when in the outback you come across a ‘roadside’ roadhouse which says ‘Last Fuel for 276 Klms.’ Not all carry diesel, and even less, unleaded…the alternative offered is Opal fuel….usually getting on for double the price.
One other word of caution when travelling in the outback….massive Road Trains, (trucks with three or four trailers carrying anything from livestock to cars, steel, gravel, tractors, absolutely anything and everything,) take up the complete width of all dirt roads/tracks and they cannot basically stop like you and me…you just have to get off to the side and take care not to roll the vehicle.
And don’t forget, in Melbourne city centre, if you want to turn right at a junction…get in the left hand lane !
And don’t forget in Sydney ,to set up an on line ROAM account to pay for the confusing Tolls…(no cash accepted.)
And don’t forget that In NSW and parts of Victoria, fuel is around 10 cents cheaper on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings, usually….(very political.)
And don’t forget that their Safety Cameras do not allow for a 10% discrepancy, 2Klm seems to be the limit…so if you’re doing 103Klm in a 100Klm area…tough ! Aus$ 142 fixed penalty.
Hope this may help if you're visiting.
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

things haven't changed much since i lived there then! one word of caution, if you have never been out bush, let someone know before you go and when you expect to be back, woop woop ( the Bush) is immense, and carry enough water, no poi's for that. and on the road trains, they take over two kilometers to stop and are either accelerating or braking, they would have no control over the trailers in any other state. as frequent flyer said, they dont stop Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: