Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 8.15 map out today
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

8.15 map out today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I must admit I do think that some of the IQ routes information is just not good. One route I frequently do is far quicker on the dual carriageway (A1061 London Colney bypass and A414) that is very slightly longer in distance than the IQ route that takes me through a housing estate (London Colney) and a narrow country lane (White Horse Lane 51.73088 -0.28942) where the roads are narrow and have choke points where a parked car means only one car can pass at a time.

A stick to major roads option would be good. Also I assume that if I had an HGV it would still try and route me through the housing estates?

The London Colney bypass is longer as you said, then say passing along London Colney high street. However, I would suspect the IQ routes ONLY exist for the bypass, and not for the high street. So I am guessing the TomTom assumes you maintain 30mph all the way along without having to slow down for road humps or bottlenecks.

I don't think it is very clear what roads are covered by the IQ routes, but I am suspecting major A roads and Motorways only. So if the TomTom is comparing a road that has IQ route data against one that doesn't...then you may or may not lose out in terms of optimal routes.

Another example...you mentioned the A414. As you go from London Colney towards the M25 or M1, there is often severe congestion on approach to the intemediary roundabouts. The Traffic HD system will correctly identify the traffic and it may suggest a back route that will bring you out through Bricket Wood. What the system fails to do is to have IQ Route data for that small road in Bricket Wood. If it did, it would avoid that road as there are bottlenecks there and the end of that route is almost impossible to turn out of.

We are a long way from perfect yet I'm afraid...each cycle brings about impressive feature names, but only incremental improvements. But it moves in the right direction.
SQUARE2024
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add my bit on the map update saga,
I have updated and now running on 815.2003 with the 8.3 update on my 520.
all down loaded ok and last night had to put a route from Chelmsford to Morden in surrey via Hackney,all worked with no problems at all,[it used IQ route] voice guidance was clear,and the lane guidance on the M25 worked a treat !,of course in addition to this PWGPS kept me out of trouble with all the cameras. Smile

TomTom 520
Christmas Draw 2010 Grand Final Winner Garmin Nuvi 1490TV
Nogsx3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still on UK 675 maps as all the newer versions I've read on here weren't worth the update and often had less detail. Do 8.15 concidered an improvement on 675 ? That's about 2 years between gap between them...

I've got a TT one 3rd edition, 32mb ram....with a 2gb SD card

Last edited by Nogsx3 on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"8.15 an improvement on 8.15 ?" Question Question

If you mean "is 815 an improvement over 675?", then in most places yes.
They will also have rather better POI collections and updated Postcode search.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For example, in the Newcastle upon tyne area, there are several new major junctions now on a couple of main roads which have only appeared since the last couple of map updates!

iPhone 12
Nogsx3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks andyp, sorry for my typo...corrected. Interesting.... I'll do an update then.
brms
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: new maps Reply with quote

I was looking at the new Teleatlas maps via Google maps (I assume they're the same). I live in Scotland, so was interested to see the new Mp spur south of the Forth Road Bridge is there, along with the new crossing at Kincardine. But between Nairn and Inverness there are two "new" roundabouts - been there for a few years now. One is now on the map, but the other - to the airport, with the new airport road (so quite a crucial feature for visiotirs) - still isn't there. This begs the question: how are these map changes picked up (or not) and why can one new feature be picked up but a nearby one not?
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the best time to subscribe to the "annual" map update subscription after the next map you want is released? Or do they only allow you access to the one "after" the current release when you subscribe?
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonstatt wrote:
Is the best time to subscribe to the "annual" map update subscription after the next map you want is released? Or do they only allow you access to the one "after" the current release when you subscribe?

You are obliged to upgrade to the current map (on a sliding scale cost) before you can subscribe to the annual map update.

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner

Last edited by alanji on Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanji wrote:
jonstatt wrote:

You are obliged to upgrade to the current map (on aslidig scale cost) before you can subscribe to theannual map updare.

Thanks for the reply..sounds a bit confusing.

If I go into TomTom Home right now, it is offering me a years subscription for 39.80 for Western and Central Europe. My thinking was I want to wait until the next map comes out before subscribing. I was trying to figure out the most economic route.
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonstatt wrote:
alanji wrote:
jonstatt wrote:

You are obliged to upgrade to the current map (on a sliding scale cost) before you can subscribe to the annual map update.

Thanks for the reply..sounds a bit confusing.

If I go into TomTom Home right now, it is offering me a years subscription for 39.80 for Western and Central Europe. My thinking was I want to wait until the next map comes out before subscribing. I was trying to figure out the most economic route.

It will not make a huge difference as you will have to pay an additional amount to upgrade to the newest map - see sliding sale here (I presume it is still current)
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=70657&highlight=annual+map+update

If you look up the price of your new map you can calculate how much it will cost you to upgrade to next quarters map (15% of cost). Whether it will take into account the current map discounts being offerred, I do not know but I suspect not.

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you subscribe now, you'll get v815 map immediately, and v820, 825 & 830 maps (or whatever the version numbers happen to be) during your year of membership.

If you wait till the next release (say v820) you'll probably also get v825, 830 & 835 when they are released during your subscription period.

If you can't find anything drastically wrong with your current maps, it may be slightly more economical to wait.

I only went for the update because the new map came with a new feature (IQ routes) that my previous map didn't have - I wouldn't have updated purely to get a more accurate map as the differences between versions often aren't significant.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: