Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HD Traffic Accessory UK Launch Postponed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HD Traffic Accessory UK Launch Postponed
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: HD Traffic Accessory UK Launch Postponed Reply with quote

ADMIN Edit: Discussion split from x40 Launch Thread

Just been reading the HD traffic pages on Tomtom's web pages.
The subscription for the service in the Netherlands service is for one country only - will the UK service be similiarly limited ?
Not much of a deal for thos eof us who travel abroad regularly.

BTW the addon receiver is for listed for sale on Handtecs site at £116.33
(pre order only as you would guess) however the dutch Tomtom pages show the same receiver and state it's sutable for use by X20,and X30 units (they also mention the XL but not sure if that was the XL HD which presumambly comes with one / has HD inbuilt).

DinAlt
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt people can find this themselves but I thought I'd post this description of the addon for X20 /X30

"The TomTom HD Traffic receiver will be for sale as a power adapter plug, in which a SIM card with GPRS modem is built-in. This accessory also features a lithium-ion battery, so it will continue to function even if the power source is (momentarily) switched off. (like eg. when operating the car's ignition ). The unit will sell for € 99.95. This includes 6 months of HD Traffic subscription including a live data connection (GPRS). After this period, this service can be extended at any time for € 9.95 /month.

For the owners of a GO 920 or 720, TomTom will soon release a software update which will make these devices HD Traffic compliant. Later this year, a comparable software update will follow for other TomTom navigational devices"

Nice to see it will mean no extra wires for most of us and those that swap from TMC it will mean less - think i'll be gettign one of these in the jan slaes
(just bought myself a 720 and a PS3 in the last week so she who must be obeyed will be saying no to more toys for a while.

DinAlt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DinAlt wrote:
The subscription for the service in the Netherlands service is for one country only - will the UK service be similiarly limited ?
Not much of a deal for thos eof us who travel abroad regularly.

As I said earlier:
Darren wrote:
Also it is worth pointing out the the LIVE services will function ONLY in the country of purchase. There is no roaming agreement so they will not function if you venture outside the UK.

DinAlt wrote:
BTW the addon receiver is for listed for sale on Handtecs site at £116.33 (pre order only as you would guess) however the dutch Tomtom pages show the same receiver and state it's sutable for use by X20,and X30 units (they also mention the XL but not sure if that was the XL HD which presumambly comes with one / has HD inbuilt).

At fear of repeating myself again!
Darren wrote:

There 'was' supposed to be a HD Traffic receiver being released. It has been postponed, whether permanently or not TT are not saying.

I'd hesitate to suggest this won't appear this year if at all in the UK.
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

I'd hesitate to suggest this won't appear this year if at all in the UK.

IF this is the case, I feel I have been lured into buying a x30 partly under faulse pretences. Part of the reason I upgraded to the x30 range in the first place was due to it being marketed as having compatibility with their forthcoming HD reciever. Now there's a chance it's not even going to appear over here?

Why market it as an accessory online, in the accessories brochure that came with the device, and in the manual then?
Evil or Very Mad
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit annoying if thyy don't sell them here since they're already available on the Tomtom webssite for €79.95 - obviously these are Dutch sims etc. but obviously the equipment is available so why not sell it over here?

BTW Legacy compatibility is as follows:
GO 520 , GO 520 T, GO 720, GO 720 T, GO 730, GO 730 Traffic, GO 920, GO 920 T, GO 930 Traffic, ONE - 3rd edition, ONE 30 series (new), ONE XL, XL 30 series (new), GO 530, GO 530 Traffic, GO 630, GO 630 T, GO 930

DinAlt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme2812 wrote:
Why market it as an accessory online, in the accessories brochure that came with the device, and in the manual then?
Evil or Very Mad

Plans change.
dave-t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Plans change.

Can anyone point out which of the following are untrue

1. The TT X30 was marketed as offering HD traffic capability with an accessory

2. The X30 range "IS" HD Trafic capalbe - well according to TT Home 2.4!

3. TomTom stated that HD traffic would be available in the UK "in 2008"

4. HD Trafic is now available

5. The HD Traffic module is in production, available and functions correctly - in Holland

6. TT X30 users STILL do not have access to HD Traffic

7. "misrepresting" a product and "misleading' advertising and marketing is ilegal?

8. under UK sales of goods act I am entitled to my money back as the products does not perform as specified by the manufacturer ?????

Last edited by dave-t on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically anyone who bought a 930 on the promise of being able to upgrade to HD has been lied to ?

Being digging around and several weeks ago tomtom announced that they would not be extendiing the sales of the add on receiver outside the Netherlands - how come no one in the UK was notified? there must be lots of people who've jumped on the X20 /X30 band wagon based on Tomtoms own literature. Now the very people who would most beneft from HD traffic are given the choice of upgrading AGAIN - and for those suckers who bought a X30 this would be in less than a year or pass up on what finally looks liek a decent stab at congetion avoidance.

Forgive me for being cynical but this isn't "plans changing" this is called bait and switch and Tomtom will have to be very careful how they handle this sort of behaviour - if they've advertised X20 /30 compatinility in the US they could be in for a lot of trouble.

Also with my cycnical hat on I have to ask why no one at Pocketgpsworld has commented on this previously - especially as the meetiing this was announced at appears to be the same one where the photos of the HD control room where taken

DinAlt
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Graeme2812 wrote:
Evil or Very Mad

Plans change.

I appreciate that Darren, and I'm not having a go at any of the Mods or other contributers to this forum, it's just I feel a little misled if, as has been hinted, the HD accessory does not become available in the UK as previously advertised....by Tom Tom themselves.

For me, it's like ordering a new car that has optional extras of Air Con, CD player, Leather interior on the brochure and finding out, after I've ordered and paid for, that at best all I'm getting are 4 seats and a steering wheel with no options available. Still does the job, but not as sold in the brochure as far as I'm concerned.

One thing that I'm suspicious of is how people can have the new x40 range on test, yet there seems to be no mention of the HD receiver accessory on test anywhere, not even a "we can't talk about it, as were bound by NDA" etc. like had been said about the x40 range.

Personally, I'm beginning to form the opinion that Tom Tom have said to themselves, we can either allow current customers to part with £70/£100 to upgrade their current models to HD traffic, (or certainly make them think they can), or we can just wait until they are within touching distance of that carrot, then dangle an entirely new one [x40] in front of them.

I'm just a little disappointed if this is the way things are to pan out. Sad
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
StuartStrangeboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DinAlt makes a very good point and I agree.

There is much confusion regarding the TomTom range it will be interesting to see what happens with these products. For me TomTom's ease of use with the products is moving away somewhat and I am not convinced about the live service at a time when people are looking to cut monthly outgoings.
dave-t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having re-read the press release I now think that we are extremely unlikely to ever see the HD module.

The 530 plus an HD module would be a higher spec than a 540.

A 530 has an FM transmitter and MP3 capability while the 540 does not. It would not make sense to buy a 540 if, for very similar money, you could get a 530 and an HD module !!!
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HD Traffic is interesting, I've been promised a free upgrade to HD and chased TomTom and they are still saying before the end of the year....didn't say which year!!!!

Technically there's no reason why HD shouldn't be released in the UK, the hardware is already available, and now the backend supporting infrastructure is available as the x40 devices are dependent on the same data. This doesn't make sense.

HD Traffic = New Hardware Purchases+Subscription = Extra revenue ££££

One question we have to ask is how long will it be before the x50 range will be announced and released, is the x40 just a pre christmas product release? Remember that CeBit is due Feb/Mar 09 and TomTom will already be working on the new product annoucnements for the show.
stealthdevil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just goes to show, you can't have the latest everything, technology moving so fast these days you'll end up spending a fortune just to keep up..
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear the GO 750/950 models will be out in the new year. Laughing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DinAlt wrote:
Also with my cycnical hat on I have to ask why no one at Pocketgpsworld has commented on this previously - especially as the meetiing this was announced at appears to be the same one where the photos of the HD control room where taken.

I was present at the meeting in Holland and to the best of my knowledge I don't recall any discussion where the fate of the HD Accessory was discussed. However my colleague at GPSPassion mentioned the subject on his forums and the apparent demise of the product so I made enquiries.

I was told that the HD Traffic Receiver would not be launched in Q4 as originally planned although it may still be launched in the UK at some future date.

This info was supposedly under NDA. However, since discovering this I have strongly hinted many times in these very forums and it is a measure of how badly handled I too feel this issue has been handled by TomTom that I have chosen to speak out here.

It's insulting to suggest I/we conclude with manufacturers. We have to sign NDA's to cover certain aspects such as advance notice of new products etc and clearly we can on occasion be party to some information that puts us in a very difficult place, this is one such example.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: