Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can I just update to latest map?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I just update to latest map?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sven1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Can I just update to latest map? Reply with quote

Home is offering me upgrades of UK and Europe for 12.95

It is then offering a years update service for £51.80

can I just take the latest maps to get ALG etc and leave the update service? If so are there any disadvantages to this other than possibly having to pay more for updates at a later stage.

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere but have been looking and can't find it.

Thanks

Jon
batties
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following on from this if you download a current map and then subscribe to the TOMTOM MAP share options why would anyone need to purchase maps quarterly? surely by subscribing to the MapShare options you are keeping you map up-to-date or have I missed the point Stop it!
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, to qualify for the discounted map, you also have to subscribe to the update service... only way to just update map to latest is to purchase it normally.

Mapshare I believe, does not add new roads ect, just alters existing ones..... sometimes for the worst... Very Happy

Alan.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

batties wrote:
Following on from this if you download a current map and then subscribe to the TOMTOM MAP share options why would anyone need to purchase maps quarterly? surely by subscribing to the MapShare options you are keeping you map up-to-date or have I missed the point

Yes, you've missed the point. The Mapshare option only gives you those updates supplied by users via their devices. This will only include such things as blocked roads, turn restrictions, one-way streets, corrected street names etc. It won't include new roads, new roundabouts etc (i.e changes to the road infrastructure).

The map updates will include revised maps provided to TomTom by TeleAtlas - which will include infrastructure changes, where they have been out and actually surveyed the changes themselves.
sven1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

It seems I am in the 3-6 month discount band as my device is 4 months old. I expect it is better to wait until it is just under 6 months old before taking the plunge?

Jon

Last edited by sven1 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
batties
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Embarassed
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to their own surveying, Tele Atlas is also receiving map corrections and data from MapShare users, Google Maps edits, and suggestions submitted to their Map Insight website. So their maps should be more comprehensive, and the updates should be increasingly more accurate.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: