Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Should I get a TT730T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I get a TT730T
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newtosatnav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Should I get a TT730T Reply with quote

I have used Garmins for years now - starting with an i3 and then a C510D, 310D and now a 660FM.

I have the option to swtich to a Garmin 760T or go for a TT 730T.

I love playing with gadgets and the thought of all the new toys on the TT appeals but the guy at Halfords practcally talked me out of the TT based on how good Garmin are when something goes wrong and how "not quite as good TT are" !!!!

What is the general concessus ?
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a good idea to concentrate on what will go wrong, I reckon Mr. Halfords would have done better giving positives and negatives for each, a lot of which you will find on here.

My Tomtom has been brilliant, does everything it says on the tin, and more. If it is for configurability I would go for Tomtom, maps are good although some areas (by the nature of the beast) are out of date, but some bits are very out of date. The most important bit for me was having used a TT before and being familiar with its layout, at the end of the day you need to feel comfortable with your purchase.

I would definitely recommend a TT, I haven't used one of the other machines so it would be unfair of me to try a comparison.

Look around on this site because there is some good information and some good help.

Cheers

Carl

Cheers

Carl
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Garmin 760T and to be honest if i could go back I'd buy the TomTom.

Garmin Customer Service has really gone down hill. I wrote a 5 page letter detailing all the problems I'd had with the unit since February and i got the following back.

Quote:
Thank you for your letter dated 07/08/08.

I am sorry you are unhappy with the Garmin equipment you have purchased.

I have no explanation as to why our software sometimes contains bugs.

If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know.

Initially that was it. They have released firmware after firmware that creates more problems than it fixes and you have to decide between new features and old but broken ones. It could be a great unit if they'd sort out the bugs and weird routing.....

I had an i3 before and back then (2 years ago) their service was great. Not now...

[/rant]
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't base any purchase decision on the opinion of someone in-store. if you can, have a play with both units. decide whose interface works best for you, read a review or two and then weigh up the pros and cons.

Were it my money it would be the TomTom but that's just me.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you can find a 720T in the shops this could save you a fair bit of cash, with the latest free software update and the latest map guarantee you would have the same device with the exception of the number, I know of at least three other forum users who have recently done this - Mike
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On their website Argos are selling a 720 for £189.99, is that a good price at the moment? Bearing in mind, like has been stated you will (should) get the new maps
newtosatnav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I may be swapping brands after 3 years with Garmin.

The 720 at Argos doesn't have the Traffic unit and I need that - also I fancy having the new stuff to play with, particularly the lane guidance !!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the cash you save you could purchase an RDS-TMC and still save money. An updated 720 will have all the same bells and whistles that you get with the 730 - infact put the two next to each other and you won't tell the difference in functionaility or behaviour - Mike
newtosatnav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

Can you clarify for me - if I do a software update on 720 I will get the IQ maps, lane guidance etc ?

That sounds like a plan !
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newtosatnav wrote:
Mike

Can you clarify for me - if I do a software update on 720 I will get the IQ maps, lane guidance etc ?

That sounds like a plan !

Not quite, you will need the software update AND a new map which will come as part of the Latest Maps Guarantee that all new devices have.
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased the Garmin 760T & used it for a few months then I sold it on ebay & brought the Go 730T.

Garmin

Slightly brighter screen
Very poor bluetooth handsfree
Lack of menu options, if you like to tweak.
Very annoying speed camera warnings built in which make you want to turn them off.
Mapping looks better than the TT IMO & it was very accurate.

TomTom Go 730T

Screen slightly darker but still easy to see in bright light.
Excellent bluetooth sound quality/handsfree.
Vast menu options if you want to tweak.
Excellent speed camera/Poi warnings & totally configurable.
Mapping is typical TT style which you either love or hate but also very accurate.
Maps can be changed if you need to correct it, say you see a junction which is now a mini roundabout you can change it.
Mapshare is a great function.
Updates via the cradle are very good & easy to use.
Traffic system is also excellent IMO & work very well.

The Garmin is a quality system but basic in functionality it's a good choice if you want a simple system. I am very glad I swapped it for the TT 730t.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Go 720 with 8.010 application and Western Europe version 810 map plus an RDS-TMC 2008 version from Amazon for about £45. So I have a 730T in all but name and it is absolutely great Thumbs Up

The older RDS-TMC is also available, at Amazon (and elsewhere) for about half the cost, but several posters have indicated that this latest one works far better, and it doesn't occupy the iPod socket if you should want to use that.

Make sure the RDS-TMC has a miniusb charger input and a similar output that you plug into the device on place of the charger cable. It's powered by your charger then in turn powers and feeds the traffic info into the device through the same power cable.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maca2 wrote:

Maps can be changed if you need to correct it, say you see a junction which is now a mini roundabout you can change it.

In an otherwise good comparison of the two systems this statement may be slightly misleading.

Whilst you can make some corrections to the map you have on your device, changing a junction to a roundabout is not possible. This type of error is simply reported to tomtom for possible inclusion in a future map that they will offer to sell you.

Teleatlas (supplier of maps to tomtom) do not seem keen to include mini roundabouts in their map data, I think I have read somewhere that they have a deliberate policy of not including them allthough I cannot find any evidence to support this at the moment.
newtosatnav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've only gone and done it !!!

I took the whole plunge and got a 730T from Halfords for £279.99.

Inital thoughts are pretty much what previous posters have said, much more customisable.

I have put on my own POI for work and done the Pocketgpsworld cameras and all seems well.

Fingers crossed that I have done the right thing.

Thanks for all your advice.
mabsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newtosatnav wrote:
Well, I've only gone and done it !!!

I took the whole plunge and got a 730T from Halfords for £279.99.

Inital thoughts are pretty much what previous posters have said, much more customisable.

I have put on my own POI for work and done the Pocketgpsworld cameras and all seems well.

Fingers crossed that I have done the right thing.

Thanks for all your advice.

Things to look out for in the 3 weeks of having mine:

1) It re-boots when you try TMC via a Phone
2) On occasions it completly forgets where you are and plonks you in the middle of a field on the screen, even thought you are on a main road.
3) The screen wash out in the bright sun light.
4) It's text to speech isn't so great. Ripple road for example is pronounced Ribble Road Laughing Out Loud, TTS just takes the biss :P
5) Watch out for the, I'm not going to boot up today syndrome.

When it works, it's great, when it does one of the above, it sux.

Mabsey

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: