Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sounds -yes, voices-no?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sounds -yes, voices-no?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thetrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Sounds -yes, voices-no? Reply with quote

Having changed cars and left behind my jeep inbuilt satnav (which I liked) for a new car + TomTom 920T - a question for those in the know:

Is it possible - and i haven't figured how if it is - to turn OFF voices and have sounds (Beeps, Bongs etc) play for Traffic Camera Warnings and just prior to approaching your next turn?? When I enable sounds and turn off voice - it effectively means I get no sounds ever.

Also, if I subscribe to the PocketGPSworld Speed camera Database - (which I'm going to do anyway) - will I be able to get just sounds and flashing camera graphics when approaching these fixed and mobile rascals? If so how and what sounds / graphics do you get in your subscription?

Thanks for a great forum by the way.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sounds -yes, voices-no? Reply with quote

thetrotter wrote:

Is it possible - and i haven't figured how if it is - to turn OFF voices and have sounds (Beeps, Bongs etc) play for Traffic Camera Warnings and just prior to approaching your next turn?? When I enable sounds and turn off voice - it effectively means I get no sounds ever.

On the x20 models you should be able to turn off the navigation voice but keep warnings by Change Preferences/Manage voices/Disable voice.
On older models without this menu option, you can install one of the several "silent voices" available to do the same job. (Here's one).

However that will only remove the navigation voice, it won't replace it with a bleep that was never there before.
I suppose you could create a navigation voice that just consisted of a beep for every instruction (you can make your own voices on the machine with Change preferences/manage voices/record voice), but as most instructions are made up of several parts, it might be rather tricky getting exactly what you wanted!

Quote:
Also, if I subscribe to the PocketGPSworld Speed camera Database - (which I'm going to do anyway) - will I be able to get just sounds and flashing camera graphics when approaching these fixed and mobile rascals? If so how and what sounds / graphics do you get in your subscription?

Yes, you will get a flashing speed sign in the top left corner and you can have either just sound effects or one of several voices doing the alerting, saying anything from the rather verbose: "{klaxon sound} Warning, Gatso ahead, speed limit 40 miles per hour" to the rather more concise "Speed Camera, 40".

You can check out the voices available before you subscribe HERE, and the sort of icons you can have HERE

(Both of those are optional extras, when you download the basic camera database (assuming you choose the "speed-zoned" version), you will get a slightly different set of icons).
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thetrotter
If you go to Change preferences / voice preferences / disable voice you will be able to have warning sounds but no voice commands. No nagging voices at all.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy_P
We must have been typing our replies about the same time. Strange realy, Trotter had raised his topic 24 hours before and had no replies prior to ours.
However, your detailed reply to Trotters question made my short reply look quite feeble..
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, don't let my long-winded answer put you off!

Short and 'to the point' is far better if you can manage it. That's the essence of good communication, keep up the good work. Thumbs Up
thetrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gentlemen - I'm sorted now.
lostinuk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I was looking for this too.
Tom Tom US-Canada

Now using Waze as primary GPS.
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having another look at speech preferences and found an option to disable 'keep to motorway lane' instructions. I cannot recall getting these - anyone else? Or perhaps it is just the '30' series.

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 720 has that. In North America, it's called 'freeway' or 'highway' but the option is there.
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
My 720 has that. In North America, it's called 'freeway' or 'highway' but the option is there.

But does it do anything?

Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. If checked, the voice advises to keep to the highway for the next x kilometers whenever a significant branch in the highway is coming up. Sort of like a verbal ALG, sort of! Laughing
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Yes. If checked, the voice advises to keep to the highway for the next x kilometers whenever a significant branch in the highway is coming up. Sort of like a verbal ALG, sort of! Laughing

Surely that is 'early warning instructions (ahead turn left)' and not 'keep to motorway lane'?
I would have thought the latter would be something like "in 400yds keep to the 2 left lanes" (as shown in ALG) - that would be useful.

Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: