Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Not enough space to upgrade, but multiple directories?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Not enough space to upgrade, but multiple directories?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dandaw66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Not enough space to upgrade, but multiple directories? Reply with quote

Hello, I do hope on of the many gurus can help me with my (beloved) 700 which I've had for 3 years now - and still love it.

I was going to purchase the latest maps (Western & Central) for 75 quid (rather a lot!), however noticed map is 1886mb.

So I checked my 700, and it only had 499mb free (our of total 2380mb). Strange as when I check the current map its only 925.7mb. This map is held in f:\western europe (as are my tomtom safety cameras as shown in Home application)

However, using my pc, I see there are also .dat (map files) in a f:\western_europe directory, with a more recent date (15/11/2007) where as the ones I seem to be using in the f:western europe directory are dated 24/04/07.

Also in the f:\western_europe directory seem to be a copy of all the camera files (same recent date as the ones in the other directory) and in Home, I notice that the POIs point to these

Any thoughts on what has occurred here? Can I delete the .dat files in the f:\western_europe directory to make space?
Why do the camera files seem to appear in both directories, and in Home the POIs point to one directory and the Safety Camera to the other?

Or should I, as my dad used to say, if it aint broken, dont touch it - and just forget about it :-)

Really apprecaite any comments

thanks

Danny

Last edited by dandaw66 on Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you try to do anything with the Device, PLEASE do a Full Explorer Backup as per the instructions found on the FAQs Page. See No 1.

You will probably have to take the old map off the Device anyway, as HOME will most likely give an Error Message about not enough room to install.

In the meantime you could try deleting the Western_directory Folder and see if the Device works OK.

I've never come across that Folder name before and, should it be needed, it can easily be restored from the Backup.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
dandaw66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, Oldboy - I will certainly take a backup.

Just re-read my post and realised I made two mistakes on the directory name, which I have now corrected in bold - no wonder you had not heard of thos directories!

To be clear, the two directories in question are:
f:\western europe
and
f:\western_europe

Home reports maps and safety cameras in the first, and camera poi's in the second.

sorry for the confusion!!

So given that, I wonder if anyone else has these two?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC Western Europe was the first Western Europe Map.

Western_Europe is the later version and shows the subtle way that TT changes the file name. Quite frequently leads to confusion.

In the circumstances you now mention, then I would say you could remove the Western Europe Folder. You will still have to remove both of them to install the W & C Europe Map.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look in Change preferences / Manage Maps / Switch map, do you actually have two Western Europe maps installed?
It's quite possible you do, but if they are named the same it can be quite difficult to decide which is the one you should delete.

You can change the name of one of them by editing the first line of the .pna file in one of the map folders.

But if you want to buy another new map, it's probably not worth doing as you may need to remove both of them to make room anyway.
dandaw66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent info as always - many thanks Oldboy and Andy_p

Now the tricky bit...spending the money

thanks again

Danny
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a similar subject and just because I'm curious really, when I purchased & downloaded Western Europe map 720, my old 705 version was overwritten. But when I looked at possibly upgrading to version 810 (once I've seen the announcement Darren mentioned) it said there wasn't room for it and I would have to remove the older map first. I'm not bothered about doing that. I have several backups but I just wondered if anyone knows why the change.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would actually be a change BACK to how it used to be.

Until recently, every new map was installed alongside the old one.
I think it's possibly because they always had a slightly different folder name (even if it was just a hyphen between the words or similar).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: