Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN6 Problem loading maps (Quits after 83%)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN6 Problem loading maps (Quits after 83%)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Extremist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: TTN6 Problem loading maps (Quits after 83%) Reply with quote

So I've been and bought a brand new legit DVD TomTom Navigator 6 Software & Maps of Western Europe, and have spent the best part of a day trying to get the bloody thing to load!!

The Navigator 6 has been loaded onto the SD card, and then onto my PDA (the ipaq RX3715), using TomTom Home, my PC and ipaq using ActiveSynch. So far so good.

The maps, however, are another story. If I try loading the GB and Ireland, it gets to 37% then all of a sudden the PDA decides to disconnect itself from the Activesynch. Trying to do the complete Western Europe map gets to 83% (after 1 hour 40 minutes), then does the same thing. The Activesynch on the PDA won't start until the PDA has been lifted out of the cradle and put back in again.

Any help sorting this out would be most appreciated, I started trying to do this at 11.40am. It is now 2.15am, the following day, guess what kind of mood I'm in.........
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Have you tried loading the software to you SD card using a card reader.

I do all my updates this way seems to work quicker.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm assuming you're doing this through HOME (The older version, not the newer version which is not compatible with Navigator)

Was the SD card formatted? What size is it? What is your PC set up, XP?

Questions, questions !!
Extremist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exportman wrote:
Hi

Have you tried loading the software to you SD card using a card reader.

I do all my updates this way seems to work quicker.

No, not tried that, mainly because I haven't a clue how to do it!! This TomTom Home malarkey doesn't acknowledge anything apart from the PDA when it is plugged in. What do I do, unzip all the files onto the SD card?
Extremist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeyMikey wrote:
Hi,

I'm assuming you're doing this through HOME (The older version, not the newer version which is not compatible with Navigator)

Was the SD card formatted? What size is it? What is your PC set up, XP?

Questions, questions !!

I'm doing it with the Home that was on the DVD, Version 1.5, Build : 032 January 29 2007. As it's letting me start to do it, I'm assuming it is compatible. It has installed Navigator onto the PDA.

The SD card wasn't formatted by me, it's a 2GB Sandisk fella, I didn't give it a thought! I even bought another SD card today to see if the other one was a duffer, and the same happens. Once again, no formatting by me, I just lobbed it in and just got on with it. I'm assuming that were it not formatted, I wouldn't be able to do start the install, but I think I'll re-format it now to see if that makes any difference.

Yes, I'm using Windows XP . Very Happy

Oh, and thanks to both of you for your assistance.
Extremist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Gawd, it gets worse!!

Well, I reformatted the disk, opened the DVD and rather than installing Navigator to the SD card (and then on to the PDA), and then going back to install the maps, I did it in one hit. Success! Well, partially.

Navigator has installed, the map is on the disk, it starts up then tells me it has to be activated. Fair enough, but the device code is different to the one it gave me yesterday.

When I tried to install it yesterday, the very first thing it did was to ask me the product code, I was online, so entered that, then it asked for the device code.
Now here is where I think I screwed up! When I bought the PDA, the previous owner gave me all the disks, codes etc for the Navigator 5 that he let go with the PDA. The SD card was corrupted, therefore no joy reinstalling it on the PDA, and hence me buying TTN6. When I was asked for the device code, I merrily entered the one I'd been given by the previous owner. I'd assumed that the device code was the same, it was the same PDA......now, I'm not so sure, I guess it either generates a device code for each installation, or maybe it's for the SD card, not the PDA. Either way, the device code I have in front of me right now on the PDA is different to the one I had previously.

Of course, now the TomTom website informs me that the product has been activated......aaaaargh!!!! I think I'm going to sleep on this one and ring TT in the morning.

(EDIT : No I won't, they're only open Mon-Fri. Great. I think I should have listened to all the negs about TomTom.......)
Extremist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, TomTom have told me that re-installing the software shouldn't have changed the Device Code, but seeing as the PDA isn't on their list of compatible hardware, that might be the reason why.

They will re-activate the maps for me, but on the condition that if it screws up again, that's that. Of course, no guarantees that it won't screw up again, and arbitrarily change the device code, so I have a dilemma.

I can chance it that it won't screw up and I'll have happy days of hassle-free use, or it might leave me with £80 odd worth of DVD and maps completely useless.

I seriously wish I hadn't bothered. Once upon a time, when SatNAv first appeared and became accessible to the man in the street, I didn't pay much attention, thinking that, like mobile phones, VCRs, Broadband deals etc etc, things would swirl around for a bit, then the dust would settle and there would be a couple of providers or pieces of equipment that would be the winners, and that it would all become easy to understand for the average retard (like me). I couldn't be more wrong. The more I go into this whole thing, the murkier it becomes, certain firms seem to be in it for the short-term shafting, to get your cash, then, well, they might be your friend, but then again, they might decide that things change. The customer has to simply bend over and spread 'em.

Maybe I just jumped the gun, it perhaps needs another few years for things to become more customer-orientated and, gasp, user-friendly. Rather than casting doubts on whether their service will be at all usable, now or in the future, maybe some firms ought to be trying to make their service more accessible?

Anyway, that's today's rant over, I guess I need to offload this bloody DVD onto some other poor sap, and go back to paper maps, at least I know where I am then (literally!).

A lesson learned, wait till the companies are giving their stuff away to ensure it is the only product people use or think about, rather than when they are trying to restrict and constrain their customers with tougher and tougher security measures that penalise the unfortunate or incompetant (that's me, that one).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you wern't trying to load maps straight from the DVD to the SD card were you? - this is known to cause problems, a much better (and far more reliable) method is to copy the map files on to the PC's hard drive and then copy them to the memory card - Mike
Extremist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is indeed what I was trying to do, because it was the only option available to me on that TomTom Home thingy. How would I go about copying the files to my PC, if that doesn't reveal me to be a total fool? Laughing

Edit: Duh, that doesn't matter now anyway, I finally got the entire Western Europe one onto the SD card, my problem now lies with unlocking it . I can't decide whether to risk it, having been given the option of having no further re-activation codes or support from TomTom, because the PDA is an unsupported device, or just take the easy option and shell out for a newer PDA.
Thing is, how long before that would become incompatible with TT? I'm not going to be rushing to buy a new PDA every couple of years just for the hell of it, I mean, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the RX3715 for the amount of use it's going to get. Throwing £400 on a new toy is a little painful at the mo!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try putting the card into a card reader rather than transfering the map data via Active Sync, you will get the option to install the map to the SD card while in a card reader from the Home software, once complete pop the SD card back into the mobile device - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: