Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - IFA 2008 : Consumer Electronics Unlimited
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

IFA 2008 : Consumer Electronics Unlimited

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Shows & Related Technology Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: IFA 2008 : Consumer Electronics Unlimited Reply with quote

IFA 2008 is billed as the "world’s leading trade show for the general public". In March we have the CeBIT Trade Fair in Hannover specifically targeted towards the business community showcasing the latest developments in the company's product lines. In contrast IFA is more of a consumer exhibition with companies demonstrating actual products that are either in the stores or will be in time for the Christmas rush. IFA is also a Trade Fair for businesses to visit and discover the latest in technical goodies that they will be selling in their shops.

The IFA show is an all encompassing event covering all aspects of Consumer Electronics from the latest super sized LCD TVs to washing machines. Sandwiched somewhere in that range is the SatNav, GPS and Mobile products... There are over 30 GPS companies exhibiting at the show including some of the main SatNav companies like Garmin, Mio, Navigon and TomTom along with some of our friends from Taiwan such as Holux and GlobalTop.

All in All it looks like being a great show. Darren and I will be reporting from Berlin later this week. If you have any questions that you would like us to put to the manufacturers please add it to the comments below.

Click here for the IFA 2008 blog.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you ask Navigon a couple of questions;

1. Would like to know when the new models are going to support custom POI for your speed camera database.

2. If they plan to release the ViaMichelin guide data outside of France in the future.

3. If the new 'Landmark View 3D' will be offered to other v7 software models.. i.e the 8110.

4. Any additional downloads which maybe coming to 'myNavigon', such as POI / guides / tour routes.

Wish I could have gone to collect my free Leather case for the 8110 Sad

Still wonder what Navigon are going to announce on Friday as they have done a very good job of nothing leaking out ?

Cheers
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
Can you ask Navigon a couple of questions;

1. Would like to know when the new models are going to support custom POI for your speed camera database.

2. If they plan to release the ViaMichelin guide data outside of France in the future.

3. If the new 'Landmark View 3D' will be offered to other v7 software models.. i.e the 8110.

4. Any additional downloads which maybe coming to 'myNavigon', such as POI / guides / tour routes.

Wish I could have gone to collect my free Leather case for the 8110 Sad

Still wonder what Navigon are going to announce on Friday as they have done a very good job of nothing leaking out ?

Cheers

OK Well I listened to the Navigon Press Conference which was in German. Fortunately they provided translation services as Lutz wasnt there. Some of the points got "lost in translation" so I grabbed a couple of the Navigon guys to make sure I got the right answers.

In the Press Conference they were talking about user POIs. When I questioned them in more detail it turns out that they were really talking about Favourites. "Real" downloadable POIs are being worked on at this moment, but they would not be pushed as to when they would be implemented.

Basically I am not sure that I understand the answer I was given about Via Michelin guides for countries other than France. The answer I got seemed to be no, but they are working with similar providers in other countries. So some form of guides may appear, but not VM ones.

As far as the 3D Landmarks are concerned I was told that they were not able to confirm anything. But...

Additional downloads for MyNavigon would include:
- Curve Warnings
- Funny Voices
- 3D Landmarks (maybe)

There seemed to be a bit of confusion about the 3D Landmarks so I found another (non-PR) member of the Navigon team who told me that the 3D Landmarks will be available for some of the existing devices, but he couldnt at this moment define which ones. The reason for the selective implementation is one of hardware compatibility.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
In the Press Conference they were talking about user POIs. When I questioned them in more detail it turns out that they were really talking about Favourites. "Real" downloadable POIs are being worked on at this moment, but they would not be pushed as to when they would be implemented.

Basically I am not sure that I understand the answer I was given about Via Michelin guides for countries other than France. The answer I got seemed to be no, but they are working with similar providers in other countries. So some form of guides may appear, but not VM ones.

As far as the 3D Landmarks are concerned I was told that they were not able to confirm anything. But...

Additional downloads for MyNavigon would include:
- Curve Warnings
- Funny Voices
- 3D Landmarks (maybe)

There seemed to be a bit of confusion about the 3D Landmarks so I found another (non-PR) member of the Navigon team who told me that the 3D Landmarks will be available for some of the existing devices, but he couldnt at this moment define which ones. The reason for the selective implementation is one of hardware compatibility.

Cheers.

I had noticed the 'curve' symbol on the pictures of the new model and thought to myself 'I've never seen that before' Wink

To be honest I was really disappointed that the 'secret' turned out to be just a lower spec model? I can't understand why they wanted to be so secrative but revealed details of the 7210??

I'm hoping the 8110 would be hardware compatible for the 3D, but I wonder if you have to pick between Landmark or Panaramic view and not both at the same time... recently went for a drive in the country and the Panaramic view really came into it's own clearly showing the valleys and hills.

I wish Navigon would be more up front about plans for custom POI, I wonder if they are developing something 'in house' and have upset the makers of POI Warner ?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cheaper budget model with a good range of features is a good thing as it will improve the sales and hopefully lead to more from Navigon. The continued lack of user POI support is inexcusable though, this is IMHO an essential on any current device.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:

I'm hoping the 8110 would be hardware compatible for the 3D, but I wonder if you have to pick between Landmark or Panaramic view and not both at the same time... recently went for a drive in the country and the Panaramic view really came into it's own clearly showing the valleys and hills.

I suspect that the 8110 will be OK (but dont quote me on that). Although not explicitly stated I suspect that it is a processor issue and the 8110 is one of the better specified units.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
A cheaper budget model with a good range of features is a good thing as it will improve the sales and hopefully lead to more from Navigon. The continued lack of user POI support is inexcusable though, this is IMHO an essential on any current device.

They also really need to sort out decent retail channels for the UK. Confused
I think they have relied too much on POI Warner for the custom POI's and maybe because the software was mostly on built in units there never was a way to load custom POI's on until they launched there own range of units.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as retail is concerned I understand they have secured orders from some major UK retail outlets whose names I won't mention as yet. This should result in a much bigger presence here.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Shows & Related Technology Events All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: