Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice on purchasing USA maps for my ONE 2nd Ed.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on purchasing USA maps for my ONE 2nd Ed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WATSON
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Advice on purchasing USA maps for my ONE 2nd Ed. Reply with quote

I would be grateful for a bit of expert advice. I am going to the USA and Canda in a couple of weeks and will be hiring a card. I thought that it would be useful to take my trusty TomTom One Europe 2nd Edition with me to use over there.

The TomTom map shop shows I can buy USA & Canada maps for £39.95 download or £59.95 on SD card. My ONE has Europe maps on the internal memory and I understand from searching that you can use either the internal memory OR an SD card. If I purchase the maps to download and provide my own SD card can I copy across the files from the internal memory to get this all working (as there would not be enough space for Europe and the USA in the internal memory) or would I be better advised to buy the SD card version from TomTom?

Thanks for any help!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can copy everything from the internal memory to a card. In fact, I suggest that's exactly what you do.
On your model, all the system files need to be on the card too, as when a card is inserted the internal memory is completely ignored.

So the best thing to do is copy EVERYTHING from the memory to the card (use Windows Explorer to do this, not TomTom Home).
Then try the card and check everything works just as before.
when you are happy, you can use either Explorer or Home to delete the original map off the card only, and then use Home to buy and download the new map. When you start up Home with a card installed, the first screen will ask you which storage space you want to use, ensure you select the card.

If all goes to plan, you will now have a complete working system on the SD card for the US, but if you remove it, you will be back to normal with the UK maps still working.

But before you do ANYTHING, make a backup to the PC using Windows Explorer (not Home) as described in the FAQs (#1 HERE)
Toneloc427
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the current currency situation, you might consider simply purchasing a new 130 or or ONE 3rd Edition (or 9x0) when you get to the States? You can typically find one of the lower-end models for $150 (~73 GBP) and the 920 for $308 right now. You could order it online before you leave and have it delivered to your hotel. Just a thought.
WATSON
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy - belated thanks for such a helpful post. I followed it a few days back and it worked perfectly.

Toneloc - a good idea but unfortunately have already purchased maps. In any case, I would have probably not got round to it before need to pick up the hire car. First stop on this trip is Toronto and I wasn't too keen on driving through an unfamiliar city without TomTom to help me Very Happy
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah.........

Toronto ain't that scary to drive in. Laughing

Just remember one thing: Don't drive on the 401 during 'rush hour'.

Stop...stop... go..stop...stop... well, you get the idea. Cool
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Toronto ain't that scary to drive in.

Maybe not scary, but certainly confusing. When you leave the airport in your rental car, there are absolutely no signs telling you how to get downtown, or any other destination, for that matter. Just a wall of signs with highway numbers like 401 East, 427 North, etc. An outsider won't have a clue!

The only destination I've ever seen posted coming out of the airport is, get this... Algonquin Park. This is a joke for the business hub of the nation.

But your TomTom will save you from all this poor city planning!
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just returned from a trip to the USA & Canada, including a visit to Toronto. Toronto is not scary to drive in, there was not much traffic downtown compared to say London at a similar time of day. The driving over there is much more relaxed, slow, calm and other drivers are considerate.
Two weeks without seeing a single speed camera was brilliant, they do have a few red-light cameras though.
Avoid the area near the Rogers centre (near the CN Tower) when they have a game on as it gets a bit congested.
I would not have wanted to be without the tomtom, it took a lot of worry out of the driving. It does struggle a bit to get an accurate satellite lock amongst the tower blocks and raised roads but it was a huge help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: