Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 'Off road' with TomTom Nav 6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

'Off road' with TomTom Nav 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave-2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: 'Off road' with TomTom Nav 6 Reply with quote

Hi, I am using a TT nav 6 in my HTC TYTN II and have no problems to report when used 'on road' however I find that as soon as I leave a mapped road onto a track or whatever the TT starts recalculating and having a heart attack as it does not recognise the terrain here in Spain despite having western europe mapping. Most street maps details are ok and it is very good for what it costs.

I contacted TT and they said they have no maps available with any 'off road' information but apparently I should update to the latest version (6.75) but even this does not support off roading.

They did suggest I tried a third party software, apart from the aforementioned off road use (virtually everyday) I am also fitting the vehicle with a tracking device to enable me to locate it even if its 'hidden' off road. The device sends back coords of the cars whereabouts I assume these also will not work with the TT if the thief decides to hide the car on a farm in the middle of knowhere.

I did not want to pay for the update when a better system may be available.

Suggestions?

TIA

regards

Dave
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomToms do not allow off-road navigation at all to the best of my knowledge, with the exception that they will navigate to an off-road poi, tho not a favorite Confused . Setting off-road coordinates as a destination will not work if the point is more than about 50' or so off a mapped road.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GARMIN nuvis allow for off-road (my 660 has a setting for this). It gives you straight line courses to destination. But it's not very useful as there is no topographic info to assist. If you intend doing a lot of off roading then you may want to look at alternative devices than can display topo mapping for your area. PDA and Memory Map for example?
Dave-2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I have even tried downloading google earth but it will not work on pocket PC, any and all suggestions welcome.

regards

Dave
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I find it very helpful on my nuvi. I frequently need to send an install crew to a previous marked off-road location, something difficult with my TomTom. In fact, if they use the nuvi that originally set the locale, the "blue track" will clarify any confusion about how to actually reach the site.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave-2000 wrote:
Thanks for that, I have even tried downloading google earth but it will not work on pocket PC, any and all suggestions welcome.

Never tried it but there is a Google maps for mobile/PPC.
Dave-2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
Personally I find it very helpful on my nuvi. I frequently need to send an install crew to a previous marked off-road location, something difficult with my TomTom. In fact, if they use the nuvi that originally set the locale, the "blue track" will clarify any confusion about how to actually reach the site.

What is a 'nuvi'?

regards

Dave
Dave-2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
Dave-2000 wrote:

Never tried it but there is a Google maps for mobile/PPC.

ooooooh....now I did not know that!

I will investigate further,

regards

Dave
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at This Thread from early last year, it shows what Google can provide on a PDA based mobile phone, it should work very well on the TyTN-II, just make sure you have a data inclusive tariff on the phone connection - Mike
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuvi is a Garmin model. All will offer off-road destination, some also offer a tracklog. a visual trail of where you have been.
Dave-2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
Nuvi is a Garmin model. All will offer off-road destination, some also offer a tracklog. a visual trail of where you have been.

Right, I am hoping to retain my TomTom software as it works perfectly here in Spain for roads ect however, as mentioned earlier it does not show topography so is of little use 'off road'.

Thanks again

regards

Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: