Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - E-Trex Legend - Tracks Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

E-Trex Legend - Tracks Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeteGl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: E-Trex Legend - Tracks Question Reply with quote

I intend doing 3 days photography, approx 8 hours per day, walking through the Lancashire/Yorkshire countryside. I'm using the tracklog from my Legend to geotag the pictures taken. I have done this successfully for one day shoots. But I'm wondering if the tracklog will last for that amount of time. As I'm sure many of you know, saving the log is not an option, as this strips the time data from the log, thus making the log useless for geotagging. The geotagging software can only use the original 'ACTIVE LOG' file

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Pete
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete,

It looks as if your GPS should behave like many Garmins, as described at the foot of page 42 in the manual here.

Select "Record Method" of either "Time" or "Distance" and you should be able to predict for how long/far it will record using however many trackpoints it's able to store. You may have to experiment if (like me) you can't find a specification for the number of trackpoints it can store.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
PeteGl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alan, I think I see what you mean.

For instance, the Legend claims to be able to store 10,000 points, so 10,000/24 (Hours walking) = 217 per hour, or 7 seconds per point (rounding off). I checked my machine and it defaults to 1 point every 30 seconds, which has always proved more than satisfactory for geotagging my photos. Thus, if I leave it at the default setting, I think I'm going to be well within the range of the machine.

Anybody disagree with my logic?

Pete
PeteGl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or : -

Does anybody think my logic is sound?

Thanks

Pete
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete,

Your logic is sound and you may be able to store the full 10,000 trackpoints, but it would be wise to perform an experiment if you plan to get close to the maximum. Either record a trial log at perhaps 1 trackpoint every 2 seconds (not sure if 1 second would work in practice) or, if you currently use the circular buffer storage method, see how many trackpoints are actually downloaded to suitable software (e.g. Mapsource).

A reason why you may not get the full 10,000 points is if the same memory is used for other purposes, for example storing the "saved" tracks (which I think uses 250 or 500 points per track). Garmin are rather misleading by often quoting "non-concurrent" specifications. For example, they claim something like "50 Routes of up to 50 Waypoints", BUT the total limit of 500 or 1,000 for ALL Waypoints still applies (depending on the exact device).

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
PeteGl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Alan,

Good suggestion, an experiment would be easy enough to do, and I'm not doing this walk 'til Oct.

I save all my 'saved' tracks onto my PC. So the memory would be empty apart from two routes I'd need for the walk.

Pete

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: