Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 12v/24v help please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

12v/24v help please
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhowse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: 12v/24v help please Reply with quote

How do all, out of work at mo and looking to sign on at an agancy for a bit of wagon work, been a while so could do with knowing if the 12v car adapter for my jornada tomtom2 with be ok to plug into a wagon cigar socket can't remember if they are already 12v . if they are not and 24v will the adapter still be ok and knock the voltage down to the 5v needed some trucks havn't had the ciggie socket set at 12v. else be getting fried..

Thanks All

Mark
mhowse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: ooops Reply with quote

ooops forgot to mention it is a hiacom car adapter..
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you call in at a moto or other truck stop you should be abke to a 24/12v dropper for about 20ish quid they just plug in to the caig light er in the truck as there usual 24v and will give you 2 12v sockets for your money it will run that fine

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
mhowse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Triffic Reply with quote

Great Idea Alex

That way I can take the laptop along as back up and of course the kettle, I may have to trawl the web and get it mail order lack of truck shops up here in Inverness

Many thanks

Mark :P
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try road pro or cdc they both do them

device Lumia 950 xl
mhowse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: all plugged in Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip alix have placed order with roadpro 8amp for 24.99, hope to be on the road soon not sure if tom tom will keep me out of trouble..

ta much

Mark
Trucker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful running a kettle off an 8 amp supply mate. I suspect it would be a bit too much for that rating. The other answer is a 24V kettle of course, they're cheap enough.

Living from Layby to Layby !
tortoise
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont Know if anyone will read this, but my question is this. Looking on the shop web sites they all say that the Tom Tom car kit can be used on 12v or24v with any additional adaptor. As can mobile phone car chargers. Is this right or wrong then?.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

may be right but i wouldnt risk it

device Lumia 950 xl
Gowjo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Triffic Reply with quote

mhowse wrote:
Great Idea Alex

That way I can take the laptop along as back up and of course the kettle, I may have to trawl the web and get it mail order lack of truck shops up here in Inverness

Many thanks

Mark :P

may i suggest you get your self signed up with ebay, i run a 240v tv from my cab it uses 50 amps but i use an inverter, on ebay they are far far cheaper than in truck stops or shops, an 8 amp kettle would be nothing, nor would a laptop, because PC machinery is stepped down inside by the PSU this reduses 240v to 9-12V a laptop is no probs using an inverter, hope it helps ya Smile
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tortoise wrote:
Dont Know if anyone will read this, but my question is this. Looking on the shop web sites they all say that the Tom Tom car kit can be used on 12v or24v with any additional adaptor. As can mobile phone car chargers. Is this right or wrong then?.

My tt car kit cradle data plate says 12/24 volts +ve centre pin
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think mhouse was talking about a dropper if your going for an inverter then a 300w 24v is the better option as it will pull off both batteries no just one as on 12v the 150w droppers tend to over heat very quickly in hot wether making them usless

device Lumia 950 xl
terry669
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: 12v Jumpstarter Reply with quote

Hi I oftern come across some trucks that have brocken cicar lighters. to make sure I have power to run my ipaq tt3. i bought mtself one of those portable 12 power supplys from halfords. they are normally used for jumpstarting dead car batterys and are light weight. they normally have a built in airpump for your tyres and have a light and also have a built in 12 v cigar lighter to plug in your phone/tv & so i can just plug stait in my ipaq. there battery seems to last for weeks untill its next recharge.

Prices are £25- £100
flyboy63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using the TT car kit you just plug it in to any spare socket as it runs on 12 or 24v no need for expensive converting equipment.
seAr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah they work on 12/24 and as for broken fag lighters i have had this problem a few times but i just brought a fag lighter socket with crocodile clips on the other end, then if fag lighter don't work i just clip the cover of the interior light and clip it onto that as the picture below shows .. just one little lead to carry around instead of a heafty 12v jump starter thingy :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: