Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to rename my map on SD card in easy steps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to rename my map on SD card in easy steps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
headhurts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: How to rename my map on SD card in easy steps Reply with quote

I have read a thread on here about how to rename a map but I wonder if someone could go through this again in easy steps for me please.
I will copy and paste my backed up map version 8 for tomtom 730t onto my card presumably just a matter of copy and past the contents onto the card. this is to enable me to take to France this back up in case of any disasters. I have on my device at the moment version 8.05 maps on flash drive and so the earlier version will be on SD card but I will not be able to tell which is which when the SD card is in my device so in easy steps can I rename the maps on my card so that I can tell them apart. I did read a thread on here but it was quite long and difficult for someone of my limited knowledge to understand. Many thanks.
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inside the map folder, there is a file with a '.pna' extension. It will look like 'Mapname.pna' with whatever your map's name is in the place of 'Mapname'.

Open this file with Notepad. In the first line, you will see 'ID=....'

You can alter this text to a description more of your liking. Just leave the '.pna' part there. This is what appears on the TomTom screen when you 'Switch Maps'.

You can also rename the map folder to anything you want. It won't affect anything.
headhurts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: THANKS 46jimbo Reply with quote

Thanks for your help it went excellently and i can now tell the maps apart.
initially i tried installing the back up whilst the card was in tomtom device but not all the items downloaded so i deleted and started again using windows vist with the card plugged into a card reader, this went perfectly.
i have noticed though that with the card in the tomtom device i cannot operate tomtom device via home as it says this function not supported, take card out and all is ok again. so i wll be storing my card in the case until needed. again thanks for your help. Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: