Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - M6 Toll or M6? ADVICE please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

M6 Toll or M6? ADVICE please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheIce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: M6 Toll or M6? ADVICE please Reply with quote

I am from Manchester, I am planning to go to Birmingham on Saturday.. so I will leave my house about 5pm.

When I enter the postcode (B1 2AA) on TomTom - it did NOT ask me to use M6 Toll or not. why is that??

Shall I use M6 Toll or not?

I checked on google map - if I use M6 Toll - it is 10 mins longer then normal M6.... Confused
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: M6 Toll or M6? ADVICE please Reply with quote

TheIce wrote:
I am from Manchester, I am planning to go to Birmingham on Saturday.. so I will leave my house about 5pm.

When I enter the postcode (B1 2AA) on TomTom - it did NOT ask me to use M6 Toll or not. why is that??

Shall I use M6 Toll or not?

I checked on google map - if I use M6 Toll - it is 10 mins longer then normal M6.... Confused

It's not asked you if you want to use the M6 Toll because going via the M6 is the faster route, so it chooses that. If the route had been faster via the M6 Toll, then it would have asked you if you wanted to avoid the toll route.

As to whether you SHOULD use the M6 Toll, I don't know what the M6 around Birmingham would be like at that time on a Saturday. Probably OK, so worth saving the toll, but check traffic reports before you set out. There are also displays up as you go south, but in my experience they always warn of congestion on the M6. I think they must be paid for by the toll people.
TheIce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh thanks man!

Will RDS Traffic System alert me before I enter normal m6 road?
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont need the toll road, stay on the M6 and if going to city follow A38, easy as Wink

second thoughts use your tomtom Laughing Laughing Laughing
TheIce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardenshed wrote:
dont need the toll road, stay on the M6 and if going to city follow A38, easy as Wink

second thoughts use your tomtom Laughing Laughing Laughing

I am going to The NIA in Birmingham to watch boxing Cool

Just hoping M6 wont be busy around 5pm to 7pm on sat?
cazmar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: toll Reply with quote

The M6 toll will take you past where you are going so it has not been offered as it isnt on the route.By the way the M6 is always busy.
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheIce wrote:
Will RDS Traffic System alert me before I enter normal m6 road?

Having a simple TomTom One v1 I don't know how the Traffic system works. But I'm sure someone who does will be along soon. It would help if we knew which device you have and what version of the application you're using.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your 720 will pick up RDS-TMC data for the Birmingham area long before you get to the M6 J13 where the "fun" often starts. In fact I often see Birmingham related incidents via RDS on my devices when in Blackpool.

Make sure you have the Navcore 8,010 update on the device though as the version 7 software simply didn't work with the RDS-TMC correctly.

I would have thought the M6 would be OK early Sat evening, I tend to use it by default these days rather than the Toll road and have not had a problem with the old M6 - Mike
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living just south of Birmingham, I would only ever tend to use the Toll Road during weekday rush hours, or when I was aware of a specific serious incident on the M6 itself.

Going into central Birmingham, I can't see why anyone would bother using the Toll Road
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This particular subject bugs me because as you drive down the M6, the gantry signs will display "M6 TOLL, NO DELAYS" or whatever the exact wording is, but they don't display a similar message for the M6 itself.

Is it right that the Highways Agency are effectively sponsoring the M6 Toll by sending motorists that way?

As far as I remember, the M6 Toll is a marginally longer route than the M6, so unless there's any real delay on the M6 any benefits of using the M6 Toll might be outweighed by the longer journey and delays at the toll booths.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:

Is it right that the Highways Agency are effectively sponsoring the M6 Toll by sending motorists that way?

You think that's bad, Andy?

Here in Ontario, we have a toll road (407) that is privately owned. Drivers on it can use to use transponders (no toll booths) or not.

The point is, the private company has worked a deal with the Province such that, if a driver is delinquent with toll charges owing, he/she cannot get their licence renewed.

In effect, the government is acting as a collection agency for a private company.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...but is the government encouraging use of the toll road when there's (sometimes) a very good FREE alternative?
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
...but is the government encouraging use of the toll road when there's (sometimes) a very good FREE alternative?

Yes. A friend of mine is a civil engineer who worked on the design of the M6 Toll. Apparently the contract was such that all junctions had to be designed so that the "default" route (i.e. the one where you ended up if you didn't take any exits) led you on to the Toll Road.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Birmingham Northern Relief Road (M6 toll) was designed and planned in considerable detail before the change to a toll road was made so that all of the public opinion surveys and planning for any other building work could be done as they had to be based upon something.

I remember that in 1984 I received quite detailed plans of the proposed routes and junction details, as did everyone who lived nearby the proposed routes. I say proposed as there were several options given for each particular section so that the public could give an opinion upon the best choice e.g. NIMBY being the norm but it seemed to be that knowing most people would prefer the NIMBY route the planners got what they wanted in the end.
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
This particular subject bugs me because as you drive down the M6, the gantry signs will display "M6 TOLL, NO DELAYS" or whatever the exact wording is, but they don't display a similar message for the M6 itself.

If I recall correctly the particular overhead signs which inform about conditions on M6 Toll are only for that purpose. They have a blue board at the top saying "M6 Toll information" to differentiate them from the normal Highways Agencies overhead signs. I am not sure who owns them or is responsible for the information displayed so your arguement about the Highways Agency encouraging people to use the toll road may still be valid.

Personally in all the time it has been opened I have never used it (drive along that section of M6 at least twice a week both ways at all times day and night) and will never use it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: