Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW:TomTom Bluetooth Remote Control - worth the money?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW:TomTom Bluetooth Remote Control - worth the money?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benjamino
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belgarath wrote:
Excellent. Thanks.

Does the remote come with a mount/holder like the 910 did? I noticed on a advert for the garmin they had something similar that fitted actually on the wheel that you could press with your thumb without your hands leaving the wheel. A solution like that would be neat.

What are people's preferred MO for using the remote? Do you have it mounted on the dash somewhere near the steering wheel, or on the seat next to them or some cubbyhole nearby?

The remote does have a little clip/holder which you could stick somewhere. However, as I didn't want to leave any tace of satnav in the car I just rest the remote on the top of a storage box that sits in front of the middle arm rest. I can then operate the remote without actually moving my upper body at all and can even just leave my elbow on the arm rest. It's such an improvement over having to prod the screen. It really feels like you're interfacing with the vehicle rather than an add-on. To stop the remote sliding around I have it sitting on piece of that 'sticky' stuff that you can buy for the purpose, I cut it out so it's not visible around the remote and it all looks nice and neat. There's a picture on this thread, you might need to be a member to view it though.
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belgarath wrote:
Excellent. Thanks.

Does the remote come with a mount/holder like the 910 did? I noticed on a advert for the garmin they had something similar that fitted actually on the wheel that you could press with your thumb without your hands leaving the wheel. A solution like that would be neat.

What are people's preferred MO for using the remote? Do you have it mounted on the dash somewhere near the steering wheel, or on the seat next to them or some cubbyhole nearby?

I had not thought of mounting it on the wheel - I may give it a try, though it might need additional fixing as I suspect it would drop out of the holder if the wheel is turned more than 90 degrees. I currently have it mounted on the dash and can use it without removing it from the holder but a wheel mount would be more convenient.

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a stick on magnet on my dash and the TT remote sticks to this quite nicely
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanji wrote:
I had not thought of mounting it on the wheel - I may give it a try, though it might need additional fixing as I suspect it would drop out of the holder if the wheel is turned more than 90 degrees. I currently have it mounted on the dash and can use it without removing it from the holder but a wheel mount would be more convenient.

This sounds a bit like getting in the way of the airbag?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The glue on the holder is rubbish - I tend to use velvro with the hooks on the dash. Its how I stick on my ipod nano too

I've got some of the industrial hooks which have a much stronger hold yet as they are more solid tend not to scratch - see http://www.velcro.co.uk/cms/ULTRA-MATE_R_brand_HTH_range.122.0.html?&L=21764

I think the heavy duty consumer stuff would do the job too
Belgarath
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the TomTom remote's design makes attaching it to the wheel very practical. Although with certain shapes of wheel and a bit of imagination it may be possible.

Apologies in advance for posting a link to a Garmin ad on this particular forum Twisted Evil
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zXL1Nfe_Cxk
(embedded video isn't allowed?)

If you check the 15 second mark in the video the woman presses a button on the steering wheel with her thumb, presumably to activate the voice control. . Obviously the point with anything like this is to cause minimum distraction from the driving process, and this seems like a neat solution.
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your steering wheel has unused control buttons on it, you could probably hack them into a bluetooth remote with a bit of electronics skill....
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't think the steering wheel is a good place anyway, it's a bit too close, so if you do look at it your eyes need to refocus. I know the argument with the remote is that you can do it by feel (I use this argument myself) but with the best will in the world I do find myself looking at it as well (if nothing else to find it to operate it) so I think the best place is on the dash just to the left side of the wheel, hence my magnet.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other issue with putting it on the steering wheel is that for many modern cars it would probably make a nice tomtom remote sized dent in your body when the airbag goes off! If you have airbags, be sure not to put anything on the wheel!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: