Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - problem with TomTom 720 mount
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

problem with TomTom 720 mount
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuyler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: problem with TomTom 720 mount Reply with quote

hey guys,

I'm currently having a problem with the standard windshield mount that came with my new 720. most of the time it works fine, but on a few occasions now it has fallen off randomly with the 720 on it (fortunately no damage as yet).

my question is: is there anything I may be doing wrong? to mount the unit I just push the suction cup hard on the windshield and hope that does it! to take it off I obviously pull on that small plastic tab.

I knew the standard mount was one of the downsides of the TT when compared with Garmin units but took it on as an acceptable risk. barring the standard mount, are there perhaps other options? for example, maybe some of you don't even use the windshield mount and just have the TT lying somewhere? I for one get great GPS reception even when it's well away from the glass.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this very problem.

Rather than trying to make the standard mount work better, but still having no confidence in it, I took a look on eBay and purchased an alternative with a levering device to aid suction...and it hasn't fallen off yet.

I would be hesitant to follow your suggestion of having 720 "lying somewhere" because, in addition to making the screen more difficult to view, you run the risk of it sliding about and there's also a danger that it might not be ventilated properly and it overheats. By having it "lying somewhere", you're also likely to muffle to speaker which is situated on the rear.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I never had an issue with mine I now use a Carcomm cradle. But for the standard mount, clean glass is important. A surgical cleaning wipe would possibly help.

Other options are an alternative windscreen mount, Im reviewing a selection from Arkon at the moment. They have lever arm suction mounts with x20/x30 adapters as well as vent mounts. See here.

Last edited by Darren on Fri May 16, 2008 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far my mount has been absolutly perfect. In fact the main difficulty is removing it. But having read the instructions I put it on dry. Every other suction mount I have used has worked best when applied wet, but this one is great when applied dry.
Elastic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: problem with TomTom 720 mount Reply with quote

kuyler wrote:
hey guys,

I'm currently having a problem with the standard windshield mount that came with my new 720. most of the time it works fine, but on a few occasions now it has fallen off randomly with the 720 on it (fortunately no damage as yet).

my question is: is there anything I may be doing wrong? to mount the unit I just push the suction cup hard on the windshield and hope that does it! to take it off I obviously pull on that small plastic tab.

I knew the standard mount was one of the downsides of the TT when compared with Garmin units but took it on as an acceptable risk. barring the standard mount, are there perhaps other options? for example, maybe some of you don't even use the windshield mount and just have the TT lying somewhere? I for one get great GPS reception even when it's well away from the glass.

I had a similar problem with the One XL mount. My solution was to wet the cup and then make sure that when pressing onto the windscreen I pressed hard at the point where the 'spindle' enters the cup. I've had no further problems.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to say almost just what "Elastic" has just said.

Whack it on the screen as normal, but then just give it an extra little push on the end of the "arm", pushing straight forward towards the screen.
Seems to make a big difference.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Elastic and Andy" I quite agree and have never had any problem. My ONE (with very similar mount) fell of this week and I realised I hadn't done the above pushing PLUS I had mounted it on a cold windscreen and the weather suddenly turned hot - the air trapped inside must have expanded enough to push it off.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myself I have to agree that keeping the tomtom mount the windscreen is very difficult whether the different slope of the windscreens make some cars hard to get a good fix I do not know
I have friends and they all say the same !!!
The mount for the Tomtom 500 I never had a problem with.

I bought a brodit which are very good but I am interested in the bean bag mount Darren is testing shortly
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:
I bought a brodit which are very good but I am interested in the bean bag mount Darren is testing shortly

Did you see my post in the other thread? It's arrived and works very well, hasn't moved off my dash yet and it's both narrow and curved.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
john877 wrote:

Did you see my post in the other thread? It's arrived and works very well, hasn't moved off my dash yet and it's both narrow and curved.

Yes Darren I did see it !!! sounds promising
kuyler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys,

thanks for all the tips. I sure wish tomtom just had a lever-operated suction mount like garmin does! I looked at the links that were kindly provided by Darren but of course would first like to see if I can get it working without having to order another accessory.

as soon as I read Elastic's post I realized that might be worth a try since I don't think I ever properly pushed at the spindle before. in the car today I tried this and it didn't fall off. although it's only a sample size of one and more field trials are necessary, things are looking promising...

Calomax: does it really explicitly say in the instructions that dry is better than wet?
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 5 of the user guide
Quote:
Windscreen holder

Use the windscreen holder to install your TomTom GO inside your car.

To attach the holder, press the suction cup firmly to the windscreen in your
car, in an area of the windscreen where the glass is flat.

Make sure that both the holder and your windscreen are clean and dry before
you attach the holder. Place the holder so that it does not interfere with your
view of the road.

Sticks so hard that I think it would be difficult to remove without releasing the suction although I haven't tried too hard. Don't want to break it.

I have been giving it that extra push though.
kuyler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After several more days of tests I can conclude that Elastic's suggestion seems to have done it, at least for short trips of less than 90 minutes. My mount hasn't fallen off once since I started doing so.

Not sure however if there's a certain attrition factor to consider, for instance this tactic may only be delaying the inevitable by a couple of hours? Maybe for all trips over 3 hours the mount starts falling off again? Will have to see in the next few weeks when I intend to make longer trips.
Elastic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuyler wrote:
After several more days of tests I can conclude that Elastic's suggestion seems to have done it, at least for short trips of less than 90 minutes. My mount hasn't fallen off once since I started doing so.

Not sure however if there's a certain attrition factor to consider, for instance this tactic may only be delaying the inevitable by a couple of hours? Maybe for all trips over 3 hours the mount starts falling off again? Will have to see in the next few weeks when I intend to make longer trips.

I've gone for trips over three hours and I've had no further problems. The biggest problem now is getting it off the windscreen.
Laughing

Whether it will still be the same in the winter, with the increased condensation, is another matter.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had no real problems with my 720 mount , ever since I wrote my post above, mine has started falling off! Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: