Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Mobile XT
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Mobile XT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IMB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Garmin Mobile XT Reply with quote

Hi. I currently use Tom Tom on my HTC P6500. The maps need updating and at times the Tom Tom loses all Satelites and I end up doing 200mph+ through fields hundreds of miles from where I am, pretty frusrating when you are looking for an address. I am using V6.030, which I believe is the latest version except for the V6.032 which ships with the TyNN and has the same issues. I believe there is a bug in either Tom Tom or the Firmware for the GPS reciever in some HTC Phones as other people have been reporting problems on other some HTC Devices.
Its not a serious issue but as I have to spend £30 to upgrade maps and £35 to subsrcibe to Tom Tom Traffic I thought I look and see what else is available. Also, Tom Tom say the HTC P6500 is not an approved device so I have no support. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired and rumours have it that they are slowly withdrawing from the PDA Market.
I have seen a nice looking program call Garmin Mobile XT which is compatable with my device. Anyone else using this program, and if so, whats it like. Any advice on the Garmin Mobile XT would be appricated.
Regards
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of map have you got installed to the device, v675 is the most up to date map for the PDA software (its only about 2 years old now).

Have a look at Co-Pilot, Route 66 and I-Go (although this latter product comes pre-installed on it memory card and cannot be transfered to a larger card which is too restrictive for me) - Mike
IMB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply Mike, some forums I belong to never reply, strikes me as being a pointless forum if no-one ever replies! Confused
I Go looks nice, the memory card isn’t an issue at the moment as the HTC P6500 has two SD Card Slots so I would use one permanently for the Sat Nav, Garmin Mobile XT works on the same principle I believe. I agree that it is restrictive but suppose the companies have to protect their copyright, I think I read somewhere recently that only 40% of the Tom Tom software being used on PDA's was purchased, the rest is hacked and copied, and with figures like that its hardly surprising that they are rumoured to be considering withdrawing from the PDA Mobile Market. Crying or Very sad
I have looked at Co-Pilot and Route 66 and both look OK, what I do find amazing is that we are suppose to buy this software 'blind' without demo versions and from on line retailers only where the refund policy states that if you open the package you cant have a refund, so once you've brought it, if its crap and doesn’t do what you want, tough.
Halfords stock Garmin Mobile XT, that’s why I specifically enquired about their software.
Haven’t had a lot of replies from people who use it or know anything about it and only read a coupe of mediocre replies, so maybe wait a while and try something else instead.
Again, thanks for the reply.
Very Happy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Route 66 version 7 is the old package I have used and I still use it as a decent software package, version 8 is out and I will be trying that sooner rather than later. The big question surrounding this software at the moment seems to be installation of custom POI files such as the camera database and associated warnings. If it cannot do this it is a waste of time, but I very much doubt this capability has been removed.

I have Co-Pilot Live 7 on one of my PDA based phones and it is a decent application but I find it slow to respond, that could be due to the PDA it is running on as the HTC Touch Cruise has a general "sluggish feel" to it all the time. It produces decent routes and works well on the road, I just feel the application doesn't quite suit the device I am using it with. You can read all about Co-Pilot Live 7 in This Review Darren wrote recently.

As for I-Go, I think there will be a review of this package very soon, but the restrictive memory card size has always put me off this package. In your case with the HTC Beetle (yes that is what the unit is known as) you won't suffer this issue - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: