Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Buy new unit or update maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Buy new unit or update maps?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmagla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Buy new unit or update maps? Reply with quote

Hi all,
Quite some time since I last visited the forums, but I would appreciate the benefit of your knowledge! I have a TomTom Go 700, to which I have added the South Eastern USA map, about 2-3 years ago. We are visiting the states twice in the next year or so, both of which will involve a fair amount of car travel.

I checked to see the cost of updating both maps - £54.98, quite expensive, particularly considering this is after the current discount promotion.

So I am now thinking, am I better upgrading the maps or going for a brand new unit - for example the 920t, lighter, smaller and with new functions, Dixons have it for £239. Having read some of the reviews, they seem rather mixed, so I would be interested to hear people’s opinions on whether to update or upgrade.

Thanks Michael
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,
The 920T is a great little unit. If you can get one for a bargain price I'd say go for it. The receiver on the newer GPS units is a lot more sensitive than the older ones so losing signal in areas with high rise buildings or rented vehicles with athermic windscreens is much less of a worry. In my experience the 920T from the UK works fine in the USA.

The general consensus is that the 920T will be software upgradeable to the maps used on the 930T in the next couple of months, so there's not much to worry about in terms of this not being the latest model on offer. Shop around for a bargain price. I see the cheapest offering on the 930T is £339 at the moment.

check out www.satnav-discounts.co.uk for the latest prices on TomTom units before you part with any cash.

Good luck

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with Brickie on this one the X20 series will be upgradable regarding software and mapping and in a slimmer and wider format than your Tomtom700.

If you time your purchase right and your purchase qualifies for the latest map guareentee you will be able to upgrade to the very latest map .

We are expecting the new mapping to come out in August sometime but we shall see
jmagla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you for your comments, as you may have guessed I am somewhat behind the times with the latest developments with TomTom gps. I have a couple of questions:

I had a Citroen when I bought the last unit and had to get an external aerial because of the windscreen. I now have a Renault Scenic and guess I will have the same problem, will the external aerial I have from the Go 700 connect to the 920?

Not sure what you mean when you say that the 920 will be software upgradeable to the maps on the 930, do they both not use the same maps, what are the differences?

I leave for the states, August 9th, so guess the 1 month guarantee will still apply and carry me over to early September, I certainly wouldn’t be happy if a new set of maps came out so shortly after purchase and I missed out, but recognise this is the way of the world of technology these days.

Another option would be to purchase in the states, soon after arrival, they seem to be cheaper, anyone know of any disadvantages to doing this?

Thanks again Michael
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had a Citroen when I bought the last unit and had to get an external aerial because of the windscreen. I now have a Renault Scenic and guess I will have the same problem, will the external aerial I have from the Go 700 connect to the 920?

Michael, The GO920 uses a mini MCX connector for the external ariel, I think this may be the same as the older GO 500 unit. However, I doubt very much that you'll even need one even with an reflective screen like we see on the Scenic. I've been able to get a good signal in cars with these "Athermic" screens using the latest TT GO series devices. I suggest you have a drive to your nearest "Halfrauds" and see if they'll let you try it out with your car before you commit to a purchase.

Quote:
Another option would be to purchase in the states, soon after arrival, they seem to be cheaper, anyone know of any disadvantages to doing this?

I had a look at prices over in the States earlier this year and I though they were actually cheaper in the UK at the time. Some of the offers have now finished in the UK so the prices are probably about the same. Have a look on the web at the "Best Buy" store site and see, they are normally about the cheapest for USA High Street price.
Disadvantage would probably be that you'll have a more limited choice of models and probably only units with USA mapping loaded. ??

Cheers

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,
It looks like Best Buy are showing the GO930 at $449 (with current sale price at checkout) which is a pretty good deal I would say. You'd easily find a Best Buy in most major Cities so it's definitely worth considering that option. Very Happy

Gav

p.s. Just beware, the advertised GO930 in the USA doesn't seem to have the Bluetooth remote or the traffic ariel for TMC in the package. Might be wrong but check first.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your GO700 external aerial is fitted into the screen mount shoe, whereas the 920/930 have a plug hole which doubles with an ipod connector or something, so it's not (easily) transferable. Edit - Ignore this, utter rubbish, see Mike's accurate post next one below - DennisN.

Don't bin the 700 when you've finished with it - send it to me for my birthday. Very Happy

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Last edited by DennisN on Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The x20 and x30 units have an MCX connector on the back for the GPS feed should you need it, the smaller mMCX will not fit the socket.

This is a dedicated port only used for a GPS aerial when one is required (not too often unless you are using the device in a very strange vehicle) - the latest chipsets in the receivers will grab a position fix in most cars, even those with the dreaded Athermic glass.

The iPOD / RDS-TMC connection point is a different connector on the base of the device with six connection points, depending upon what you plug in to this will determine what it does, this connector has nothing to do with the GPS connector which is a seperate socket on the rear of the device - Mike
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will be okay with a Scenic I have a friend who has a Scenic and he gets a GPS signal without the need of an external Ariel.

The X20 series of sat nav uses mapping 7.20 it is expected that with the new map release that x20 owners will be able to update there maps to the 8.0 series maps which have IQ routing and lane assist.

While nothing is definite yet we hope Tomtom will introduce it on the next map update

Also if your purchase qualifies for the latest map guarantee you have 30 days from purchase to update he maps
jmagla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,
Are these new maps for the x20 series only? if for example I bought the 930 am I right in thinking that there will be no update soon?

I have seen the 930 for £329 with next day delivery, any thoughts as to whether the 930 is worth the extra money over the 920?

I am pretty sure that I will buy a new unit rather than update the maps, with the 920 or 930 the most likely.

Cheers Michael
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is likely that new maps will be available for all models; however the significance is that the 930 already has v8 maps with IQ routing, while this is still eagerly anticipated for the 920 (officially at least!). All the signs are that these v8 maps will be the ones released soon for the x20 series.

Once the v8 maps are available for the 920, the differences between 920 and 930 will be insignificant.
jmagla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Daggers, I guess it may cost more to update the full maps for Europe and the USA and buy a 920 than it would to simply buy the 930, any thoughts?

Cheers Michael
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying a 920 and updating the maps will be more costly than the purchase of a 930 - Mike
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Buying a 920 and updating the maps will be more costly than the purchase of a 930 - Mike

Maybe not if it's timed just right to use the LMG.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
mikealder wrote:

Maybe not if it's timed just right to use the LMG.

Oink, oink, flap, flap, Bandits at 3 O-clock!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: