Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navevo launch SatNav for HGV / Van Drivers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navevo launch SatNav for HGV / Van Drivers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had contact just before I went into hospital. I only got out Thursday but still haven't received the card with the update. I'll chase them during the week but I'm off work recuperating for a while.
IcarusR
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, sorry to hear you've been in hospital. Get well soon.
Have you seen the new Garmin nüvi® 465T ??
I've seen it for £374.99 could be worth a try ??
Might try talking to Garmin UK about it first to check how it deals with restrictions. IE does it calculate routes to avoid restrictions based on inputted date, or just warn you when there is one coming up on the rout it has calculated ??
Will let you know how I get on.

IcarusR
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness to Navevo, they did send the updated software as promised but my wife filed it in a drawer whilst I was in hospital!

I shall be evaluating this over the weekend to see what improvements have been made.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IcarusR wrote:
Darren, sorry to hear you've been in hospital. Get well soon.
Have you seen the new Garmin nüvi® 465T ??
I've seen it for £374.99 could be worth a try ??

Yes I've seen it but Garmin UK are a pain. We make contact they're good for few months and then they go quiet and we can't get anything from them. Then the cycle repeats. After a while you just give up bothering.
dopey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What like Navevo?

Look i want to be fair about this, but i have used both of them the Pro i sent back, to be blunt it was rubbish, the snooper is much improved (all be it a few issues with it) an no i don't work for any sat nav company or have anything at all to do with them, i drive LGV, and that's my job full time, all i can say is what i know for experience, steer clear of Navevo it seems to me that they didn't want a review of a sat nav that didn't deliver the goods, and this review ( again sorry you were ill and hope you have recovered) has been more that waylaid just bin the pro, its obviously rubbish or why have they given you the run around, im not 100% happy about the snooper, but at least there 98% there and that's the best you can say about any system that's out there at the moment, at the end of the day nothing is going to be 100% use your savvy when you drive sat navs are a guide, and just that, but it would be interesting to see if the new updated Navevo was any better though !!!!

Edit just to say, they do the new one at Maplin (no reviews on it though) so they can get it to the shops ok but not to the guys here to test and review it? just my thoughts
Bigtrain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Dopey.

Pronav was pants.
Forget hgv routing, the unit just didn't work. At all.

The Snooper S600 does work. But as an all in one hgv solution I'd give it closer to 50%.
However!!!!!!!! It will stick to main roads 'most' of the time so the routing for hgv use is 100% better than my old TomTom.
Seems it's been discontinued though.

Just searched for truck sat nav and first result has 17 different hgv sat navs for sale and two versions of software for your laptop.

Actis 3 Europe Truck
Actis 7 Europe Truck
ProNav PNN 200 HGV Truck SatNav
Snooper SYRIUS S2000 Truck Mate
Snooper SYRIUS S2000 Truck Mate European
Snooper Ventura S2000 Euro
Snooper S7000 Ventura portable
Snooper S7000 Truckmate EU portable
Snooper S7000 Truckmate UK portable
Snooper Ventura AVN S7000
Snooper AVN S7000 TruckMate
Snooper SYRIUS S600 Truck Mate
Garmin Nuvi 5000 FM Sat Nav
Garmin Nuvi 865 (865T
Garmin Nuvi 465T Truck Sat Nav
Garmin Streetpilot 7200 Sat Nav
Becker Traffic Assist Z302 Truck GPS

Navigator 8 Great Britain & Ireland GPS Bundle
Navigator 8 Europe GPS Bundle

How about some reviews Shocked
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to answer your question Bigtrain yes we have reveiwed navigator 8 unforunatly it looks like its in darrens back log of work

the acits is under reveiw i belive though this will be running a version of navigator 9 which Im currently testing

we do test units we get thouroughly and in a day to day use enviroment

personally i dont think snooper would allow us to use a truckmate for review

and having seen one in action personally i wouldnt buy one, there is in my opinion cheeper and better systems about i wouldnt mind getting my hand on a vdo pna to play with having seen it in action at the navteq transport launch the vdo unit did look very impressive
at the moment my money would go on either and actis or the navigator 9 truck

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was given the chance to test Destinator Navigator 9 TRUCK version for 60 days on my phone and initially I was very impressed and I particularly liked the fact that you got a pc application for route planning as well. This did most of the things that a full product would do apart from navigation although the product is also available as a laptop application too.

However, I put in a couple of test cases to prove it's TRUCK capability and it failed. I even got to the point of specifying a 10ft wide truck and sent it down a road I know to be only 8ft wide. It did this quite happily so at that point I gave up. As a credible TRUCK solution it simply didn't hack it for me which was vey disappointing.

Destinator Ltd told me that compromises in routing are necessary due to the limited power of the phone running WM but that did';t fully explain it to me.

Roy
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, Navigon have recently announced a European wide (20 countries) HGV routing capability. The announcemen is here.
GJH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting but unfortunately, as with all such "solutions" I've seen so far, the press release makes no mention of how detailed the mapping is in identifying narrow roads.

If that has not been improved to encompass more than legal width restrictions then no matter how good the software is it will still not identify all narrow roads.

Graham
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think roy is on about direction navigator 9 truck i just finaliseing a reweiw of it at the moment so far it hasnt put a foot wrong in a good few months of real life use on wm6 and ppc2003se. its not the flashyest application around but it des the job

device Lumia 950 xl
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alix

Yes that was the product and I agree with you overall. I was impressed with it and it's flexibility BUT , and it was a big BUT, I specifically got the TRUCK version and that was where I was disappointed.

You well know the issues surrounding the navigation of large trucks and there are simply some places that you would not want to take your truck. Furthermore there are places where you couldn't physically take your truck. From my position there is no excuse for a TRUCK solution which takes an incredibly wide vehicle through a very narrow road where it p[hysically could not go. If the explanation is that , so far, that road has not been mapped with widths then fine, I will accept that argument, but I tried a few such routes and they all failed so it shook my confidence. The other response from Directions Ltd was that Smartphones simply don't have the power to run all the necessary algorithms to test the routing for trucks , in which case I guess we must all wait a further 10 years for the technology to catch up.

I was hoping that I could recommend it to my Motor Caravanning friends but sadly I could not. I do accept that the Truck version did employ different routes for a TRuck from a car , and this was initially encouraging and that in itself may justify the purchase providing it copes with most troublesome situations.

Now if you are saying that you are using the Truck version and it performed flawlessly then it might be worth us taking this offline while I provide you with some routes that you can try. My trial version has now expired so I cannot reproduce now.

As a further afterthought, I am quite disappointed that your review of Pronav has never seen the light of day. I think we can all draw our own conclusion about that but i would say 'publish and be damned' on that one.

Roy
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roy we base any reveiw on rel life testing ie i use it on a daily basis in 44tonne truck. im not a fan of bench testing i prefer to use applications and devices in the enviroment its being designed for and yes it is the truck version im using.i can only reveiwas i find im hopfully getting the pronav back to retest it.

device Lumia 950 xl
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyC wrote:
As a further afterthought, I am quite disappointed that your review of Pronav has never seen the light of day. I think we can all draw our own conclusion about that but i would say 'publish and be damned' on that one.

To clarify here, Navevo sent us the updated software and we haven't had an opportunity to get the updated unit out to Alix for test.

Much better that he has the opportunity to evaluate as he knows better than any of us what is required of a HGV nav.

TomTom are shipping a GO 7000 TRUCK shortly and that and the ProNav will be en-route to Alix for some real world testing and a comparison.

We are not sitting on a duff review I assure you. As I said a while back, the first test was so bad we didn't go any further but we have been tardy in getting the updated software reviewed.
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alix

Yes I understand that, and in fairness you can only report the product as you see it.

My issue is that I have some real cases which simply do not get handled correctly. On one road I have in mind , most days a large truck enters the road only to discover that the road width is restricted. He has to reverse up a steep hill to get out. If he is unlucky , or stupid, he goes just a little too far to allow reversing and gets stuck between two walls. This blocks the road for many hours while a recovery truck is summoned. All the residents were hoping that the new 'enhanced' maps would stop this happening. My experience of using the product is that it does nothing to prevent it , which is not good news.

As I said, perhaps in the fullness of time the mapping will be complete but I would really like to see some evidence that the software actually does look at road widths for example. Yes I have seen better so called truck routes from the software but these could have been achieved simply by tweaking the settings internally. We have all seen 'Truck' settings on other SatNavs for years , which simply a) minimise the number of right turns and b) invoke a different set of road speeds. Some people are fooled into thinking that this is a solution - it isn't. For me the software has to address road widths vs vehicle width ( plus other things) and , so far, I have seen no evidence that it does that.

Roy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: