Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navevo launch SatNav for HGV / Van Drivers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navevo launch SatNav for HGV / Van Drivers
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Navevo launch SatNav for HGV / Van Drivers Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comNavevo have a GPS solution really will deliver the goods! They have today announced the launch of their sat-nav solution for drivers of heavy goods vehicles and vans.

Using NAVTEQ Transport mapping, specially enhanced with data intended for professional truck and delivery drivers, ProNav GPS software features dynamic routing and navigation optimisation based on a vehicle's dimensions and legal restrictions to avoid incidents such as travelling down unsuitable narrow roads or crossing bridges with vehicles that break weight restrictions.

Other Key Features include:
  1. Vehicle dimensions (e.g. height, width, length, weight)
  2. Legal restrictions (e.g. no HGVs allowed, carrying hazardous goods)
  3. Other warning data (e.g. cross winds, steep hills)
  4. London unloading and parking penalties database
  5. POI data for professional drivers

With optimised navigation drivers can enter their vehicles' vital statistics, including weight, height, length, width and the goods they are carrying (normal, corrosive/explosive) and the software will calculate a route to ensure drivers are not confronted with roads or obstacles not suitable for their vehicle or cargo.

Map Display

During a journey, ProNav warns drivers of hazards such as steep hills, high cross winds, and the risk of grounding. These are displayed as icons on the software's maps, well in advance of approach to provide drivers with time to decide whether to change their route. ProNav can instantly re-route a driver's journey if deemed necessary.

Exclusive London Unloading and Parking Penalties Database
ProNav is the perfect travel companion for London delivery drivers. ProNav pin points red route and standard loading bays for delivery drivers and provides exception times and maximum loading period data. Drivers can search for these facilities by street name, town or postcode allowing them to prepare in advance of a journey. ProNav also includes London parking penalties warnings (parking pips and penalty charge notice hotspots) to
help drivers avoid charges.

POI Database for Professional Drivers
In addition to POI databases included on standard systems, ProNav features a POI database for professional drivers including national HGV petrol stations and London cafes where drivers can purchase breakfast for under £5, as well as 40,000 other POIs supplied by NAVTEQ.

ProNav comes complete with street level mapping for the UK and Republic of Ireland, seven digit postcode lookup and a six month free trial of safety camera alerts. Thanks to ProNav's dual functionality, features designed specifically for the professional driver can be switched off, turning ProNav into a standard GPS solution for every day use in the car.

"We have developed ProNav to ensure its advanced capability and ability to overcome many of the problems professional drivers face when using traditional sat-nav systems," says David Guiver, Navevo's Business Development Director: "We have chosen to exclusively partner with electronics expert Maplin for the launch of ProNav and are extremely pleased to be the first to offer this innovative solution."

Navevo will be extending its ProNav software to work with commercial fleet mobile market solutions in the near future.

Navevo is also currently developing a European and US version of ProNav software.

For further information about ProNav, please visit www.pronav.co.uk.

Availability
Maplin will be launching a new HGV navigation system incorporating ProNav in the coming weeks across its 147 stores in the UK and Ireland. The system will also be available online at www.maplin.co.uk.

ProNav Device

Map Display

Map Display

Map Display

Map Display - Night Mode

Display - Route Map

Display - Planning Mode

Display - POIs

mike170469
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Truck Driving Reply with quote

I read your news Navevo launch SatNav for HGV / Van Drivers

with great intrest just what I need. BUT I've just bought a Nuvi 710 which
I'm very happy with Very Happy(until reading this Evil or Very Mad ).
Is there anything that I can get to work on my Nuvi like the POI's from the Navevo Wink
Or are they all locked to that system.
I have Low Bridge's and Speed Camera's from here Cool
What would help even more is someone to do the ever increasing paperwork that is needed to drive a wagon now Wink Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly not. Navevo are using Navteq's Transport mapping data. It is this that contains the weights, widths and heights data as well as HGV specific POIs.

Whether the big players such as Garmin/TomTom et al subsequently offer models using this data is not yet known. I must say that Navevo's product looks great on paper, of course it remains to be seen how it works in practice but we'll be reviewing a unit as soon as one is available, I'm a HGV1 as is one of our Mods so we can at least speak with some experience as to how well it performs in practice in this rolw.
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Announced on the same day as this news article.

I wonder if someone in the DfT has shares in Navevo? Very Happy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How ridiculous, are they going to insist blondes use a special system and the same for caravanners and motorhome owners!
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just visited their website and can find no mention of prices or where to buy!!
theripper
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The product is being launched shortly and will be available through Maplins stores. It's not available yet hence the lack of firm pricing.
RavingDave
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
How ridiculous, are they going to insist blondes use a special system and the same for caravanners and motorhome owners!

Personally I'd be very happy if Garmin would update their routing system to stop using unsuitable / narrow / single track backroads for normal cars
G4GVB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK looks good, so its possible, the data is there, the market is there. SO WHY CAN'T TOMTOM DO IT ?????? Instead of sticking rubbish like iPod, pictures and Buddies etc on them.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scubaalan wrote:
OK looks good, so its possible, the data is there, the market is there. SO WHY CAN'T TOMTOM DO IT ?????? Instead of sticking rubbish like iPod, pictures and Buddies etc on them.

Who is to say they won't. Both Navteq AND TeleAtlas recently announced this new map data. Garmin have yet to announce anything either, perhaps they're both waiting until the data coverage is better. At the launch of Navteq's 'Transport' product they admitted that it was nowhere near 100% coverage and would take a few years to achieve full coverage of urban areas.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm pretty certain that at cebit garmin mentioned that one of the new devices for trucks would make use of the width data... can't recall model numbers or anything though Evil or Very Mad

it may have been just something 'in passing' but not an actual finished product... i'll have to dig through the press cd!!

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very possibly, they were present at Navteq's 'Transport' launch.
bugeyed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy The Pronav is now listed in the sat nav system of www.maplin.co.uk
. It is priced at £199.99 and you can £15-£20 knocked off by signing up for their newsletter. The system will be available in 4 weeks. You can request a text alert via their website to notify you when its arrived. I will be buying one immediately. I have 24 years class I experience. 10 on the continent before spain had road maps. And would recommend one of these to drivers old and new. I see comments ridiculing the idea of a truck sat nav and wonder how any professional driver can ever think tey know enough. You never stop learning and any aid in todays chaos of a road network is a good idea. And for the equivalent of less than 2 days wages, its a bargain
GJH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it be possible to add one's own PoI sets to the ProNav, similar to how it's done with TomTom?

Graham
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJH wrote:
Will it be possible to add one's own PoI sets to the ProNav, similar to how it's done with TomTom?

I would hope so but cannot confirm that as yet.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: