Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Should I buy a Satmap?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I buy a Satmap?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
super_claret
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Should I buy a Satmap? Reply with quote

I'm looking to upgrade my GPS and like the look of the Satmap, especially the OS mapping, but i've been put off a little by the bucket loads of negative comments i've read.

A couple of questions to those of you who own one, after i've planned my route with Memory Map, successfully downloaded to the Satmap and followed the route, can I upload the tracklog to Memory Map to see where i've actually been? Does the track give distance, time, altitude, total ascent average speed etc which can be read by MM?

Also, with my Garmin GPS60, I can clip it to my jacket for easy access while walking to prevent having to hold it for hours, is there anyway to do this with the Satmap? If I turn on the proximity alarm for a specific waypoint in a MM route, does the Satmap have an audible alarm to warm me of an upcoming turn etc?

Sorry for allthe questions, but I haven't been able to find answers to these points by reading other posts.

Thanks in advance

Mark
super_claret
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....one other thing! Would a PDA with GPS be a worthwhile alternative?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The active10 comes with its own holder which you can attach to your belt etc. The device in use far outperforms a PDA which requires a ruggedised box to keep it safe from knocks and bangs also waterproof. PDA displays are never sunlight readable, you can get them but they cost a fortune, the last sunlight readable one I looked at with integral GPS was over £750. The other issue with the PDA is battery life, the active10 gives you the option of rechargeable pack or AA cells, you won't find many modern PDA's that offer that flexibility.

There will be a review of the active10 published soon, so if you can wait for that it will answer most if not all your concerns.

My vote would be for the active10, I have one and have been very happy with it, SatMap are also a very proactive and friendly company to deal with.
I have used (and still do use) PDA devices with Topo mapping, the active10 is both easier to use, and more suitable to the outdoor environment than a PDA - Mike
super_claret
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your input Mike.

Do you know whether I can upload the tracklog to Memory Map? successfully?

Thanks

Mark
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You simply export the data from the active10 using SatSync on the PC, this saves the route in GPX format which can be imported into other applications including MemoryMap - Mike
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy a Satmap? Reply with quote

super_claret wrote:
... but i've been put off a little by the bucket loads of negative comments i've read.
The most vociferous ones are always the ones who have the problems; you don't hear much from those who are perfectly happy. And they are ironing out the initial bugs.
super_claret wrote:
...can I upload the tracklog to Memory Map to see where i've actually been?
Yes.
super_claret wrote:
... Does the track give distance, time, altitude, total ascent, average speed etc.
Yes.
super_claret wrote:
... which can be read by MM?
When you import into Memory Map I think it puts on its own data for these values, calculated from the trackpoints; i.e. MMap will show slightly different values for average speed, etc. from those shown in the A10 Trip Log.
super_claret wrote:
...with my Garmin GPS60, I can clip it to my jacket for easy access while walking to prevent having to hold it for hours, is there anyway to do this with the Satmap?
The Satmap comes with a case which can be attached to your waistbelt or suspended from a strap around your neck; it also has the option to attach the unit directly to the strap with unclippable expanding clips; the GPSmap 60 has neither of these, but the Satmap does not have a belt clip for the unit itself, only the pouch.
super_claret wrote:
... If I turn on the proximity alarm for a specific waypoint in a MM route, does the Satmap have an audible alarm to warm me of an upcoming turn etc?
I'm not familiar with the proximity alarms in Memory Map - I haven't used that feature, but the Satmap has user selectable proximity warning radius of up to 100 yards. I haven't tried this so I don't know if you get an audible alert, but you can certainly set it to put up the POI data when in proximity. Note that the Satmap does not have any form of "auto-routing" so there are no "upcoming turn alerts" as with a Garmin when in "route navigation" mode.
super_claret wrote:
... I haven't been able to find answers to these points by reading other posts.
I'd suggest downloading and perusing the full user manual from the website - I'm not sure it covers absolutely everything in enough detail but it gives you a pretty good idea of what it will and will not do.

If you're on the brink, I'd suggest waiting a week or two until the latest software patches come out.
super_claret
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one this afternoon with the promise that a full refund would be given if I was not completely satisfied.

I've managed to save a route from Memory Map as a .gpx file and import to the A10 but the route shows as a level profile with no ascent details etc....why is this? I'm assuming that when I navigate the route, the A10's tracklog will record the actual ascent/descent.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

super_claret wrote:
I bought one this afternoon with the promise that a full refund would be given if I was not completely satisfied.
I think you can rely on the promise.
super_claret wrote:
I've managed to save a route from Memory Map as a .gpx file and import to the A10 but the route shows as a level profile with no ascent details etc....why is this?
I don't think all the data goes with the file when you transfer it between formats/from MMap to the A10 i.e. SatSYNC alters the content during the transfer process.
super_claret wrote:
I'm assuming that when I navigate the route, the A10's tracklog will record the actual ascent/descent.
Correct. The ascent/descent data is associated with the snail trail that appears on the map screen (if you have it set to do so) when you travel and will not disappear when you reset the Trip Log data unless you also delete the snail trail.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The a10 uses height data from its own maps, it will not use data from Memory Map, if you only have a few waypoints on your route simply move each one by a small amount using the cursor, then move them back to where they were. (as a tip zoom in nice and close) After you have done this the height profile will be available on the a10.
I only tend to put waypoints at decision points on a walk so I rarely have more than 10 or 15 points to cover a 15 mile walk, which makes doing this quite easy - Mike
super_claret
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

This is one thing about route planning that I've never understood. I see many routes created without following meandering footpaths but how can you get an accurate distance and total ascent of a walk by using 2 waypoints over say a 4 mile distance?

How can I be sure that I am following a footpath exactly if I've not created waypoints exactly along the meandering path? The GPS will tell me the way to the next waypoint but if the path is not an obvious one on the ground it may lead me across a farmers field for example. I know this is not as important with the SatMap A10 because you are following OS maps, but on my previous Garmin GPS60's B&W screen it was.

As I said, it's just something I've never understood, i'm sure i'm missing the point here!

Mark
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When using a Topo mapping package on the PC you can indeed create loads of points to obtain a realistic distance, for loading the data to the device I create a separate route containing very few points.

I will typically only load a start point and any locations where you need to make a decision, i.e. a path splits in two different directions. The other Waypoints I use are decision points where I can choose an alternate egress route back down in the case of very poor weather conditions. These can be very useful when you do get caught out if/ when the weather changes very quickly. It is always nice to have a back pocket go to point where you have a short cut/ alternate route back down to safety.

As you say with the OS mapping on the device a simple glance at the screen will show you on/ off the actual path. Keeping the number of waypoints down does make it considerably easier in use on the device, particularly if you are using distance to next waypoint or bearing to next waypoint info boxes on the screen. - Mike
cwmboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know of a supplier in Berks/Hants/Surrey that has a Satmap in stock? I know I can buy cheaper on line but I want to see the Satmap in the flesh before I commit myself to the expense.

I have tried John Lewis, Blacks, Cotswold and Field & Trek within 20 mile radius of Crowthorne by phone and I am told they are either out of stock or don't know what I'm talking about!

Frustrating!
Satmap A10
Anquet Maps 6.2.10
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local supplier, Ryedale Rambler, have said that since the feature on the Gadget Show all the units in the country have been sold. Patience may be required until a new shipment arrives.
cwmboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks J-K but patient, me, never! After phone calls in double figures late this afternoon to stores within a 30 mile radius I hit lucky, Cotswold Outdoors in Reading took delivery of 2 Satmaps an hour before I rang them. Blacks, Field & Trek and a couple of others had sold out and were unable to tell me when new stock was likely to arrive.

Needless to say I am the proud owner of a shiny new Satmap complete with sd card for the Brecon Beacons Very Happy
Satmap A10
Anquet Maps 6.2.10
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done. You sound very patient with all that ringing around to find one! Hope you are pleased.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: