Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HP IPAQ 314
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HP IPAQ 314
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gshrubb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: HP IPAQ 314 Reply with quote

Can the speed camera data base be used with the HP iPAQ 314 PDA units as I cannot see any HP devices on the listings.
If so how are they confiqured into the unit and which type of data base should I use.
agusta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just waiting for delivery of an HP Ipaq 314, so if anybody can answer this query I would also appreciate it.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it uses the iGO software then 'maybe'. It's a customised version of iGO but should still accept iGO format POIs. Take a look at the iGO installation guide.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got them to show on my Ipaq 314 screen. Followed the direction from the IGo download database.
In the end went back to the inferior installed ones. Shame. Interested if someone got them to work and how it was done.
Doug
Sad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What format are the installed ones?
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the text file thing. I followed the instructions on this site about removing the others etc and they never showed. Thie 314 is not a straight IGo version, it's jobbed!!
Doug
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where there's a will. Let me look into this.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend brought their new iPAQ 314 round last week and naturally I took the opportunity to look inside it.
I couldn't find a separate speedcams file and concluded that the cams are included in the UK POI file which is not easily readable. Possibly it's an sqlite database since iGO do use them but I didn't get a chance to check. There is a \speedcams folder but it seems to be only for user entered updates.
BTW I was impressed with the 314 - superb 800x400 screen and very cheap for what it does. I suspect they will become very popular.

Edit:
Forget that.
I've just spoken to my friend and have been told that speed cameras have to be installed on-line and weren't on the device when I checked it!
Will investigate further...

Sal
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sal,
Yes, you use POI Warner to load them from Speedcamupdate.com. It puts a speedcam.txt file into the camera folder. The cameras do work but they are not very accurate apparently.
I was told to take the files out of that folder and put the unzipped ones from IGo in there. And nothing showed on the map at a speed camera that has show up before with TomTom.
Interested in what you find.
Doug
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got hold of the ipaq 314 again this evening. We connected it to HP's speedcams server and downloaded their file. As Doug says, it uses an HP branded version of POI Warner that is configured to connect to their server rather than to a local file.

The files saved on the ipaq are as follows:
poi_warner_fix.dat - 4 b
poi_warner_fix.spe - 227 kb
poi_warner_mobile.dat - 4 b
poi_warner_mobile.spe - 268 kb
speedcams.spdb - 521 kb

I must confess to being seriously impressed with this unit. The only issue with it at the moment is that the TMC does not seem to have a licence included, which means it is non-functional. Something to be resolved.

Sal
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the TMC is not a feature. When you connect the TMC unit, it scans for channels but won't lock on. When you try, it says you need a subscription and to go to HP.com to activate it. You go there and there is absolutely nothing. So much for subscription free!
I then rang HP Live Support twice and they were as much use as a chocolate teapot!! Knew nothing. Then tried the UK HP Support number and they also knew nothing - told me to take out a subscription with Classic FM!!
Went on lots of forums and got no info whatsoever. I then returned it and got a refund.
The machine is pretty good - it is not a TomTom - you can'y use it out of the box. There are so many menu options and I have not tried a trip to a big city to try out the 3D building feature. I do like it.

Doug
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: SORTED! Reply with quote

Well Doug I don't know what you did wrong, but the standard iGO installation procedure
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras-igo-myguide-oncourse_navigator.php
DOES work.

I didn't even try the advertised procedure yesterday since you were so confident about it Evil or Very Mad , but it kept nagging me so I borrowed my friend's unit again, (fortunately only a 4 mile round trip) and tried it. It worked first time and showed all the cameras properly in the correct places and the proper bearings. I haven't drive-tested it but I'm sure it will work.

I had to remove the database again before returning the unit since my friend isn't a subscriber, but I have now ordered my own iPAQ314 to be delivered tomorrow Razz so I will repeat the installation then.

Sal
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sal,
Perhaps I ought to try it again then! Perhaps it doesn't like my speed cameras. Did you follow the procedure exactly as it is in that link?
If so, I will do the same. I think there was only 12 or 14 files in there - all Pocketgpsworld ones. Is that right?
Feel like a pillock now Embarassed

Doug

PS Put them on again. Did you put them on the phone and not on the SD card?
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new iPAQ 314 arrived this morning and I installed the PGPSW database which worked straight away. The procedure is really just the same as shown for other iGO devices:

1. Download the database listed for iGO 2006, MyGuide or OnCourse Navigator 6
and unzip the files.

2. Using Windows Explorer or another file manager go into the iPAQ folder \IPAQ\Nav\content\speedcam\ and delete all the existing files.

3. Copy the new files into the same \speedcam folder.

4. Disconnect the iPAQ from the PC. It will do a soft reset. The speedcams may now be displayed, but I found that it was actually necessary to do a hard reset by pressing the reset button. No doubt we will confirm this point when more users have installed the database.

Sal
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, Sal, try it out on Sunday and come back. Enjoy your unit!
Doug

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: