Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One V.2 Won't boot with SD card in slot
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One V.2 Won't boot with SD card in slot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scubanorthy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: TomTom One V.2 Won't boot with SD card in slot Reply with quote

All

First post for me.

I bought a One V.2 last year and day one backed up (manually) the SD card contents to my hard drive and then squirted it back down to a new SD card, keeping the original safely in the box - advice I think I read on here.

I then put my pocket gps speed cameras on the new SD card, all was fine.

I can't remember when , but I suspect after one of the software updates, the TomTom started not booting unless I eject the SD card.

When it's booted I put the card back in and it works fine.........annoying.

I've tried formatting the card (twice) and putting the original SD contents back on, then updating, the problem then resurfaces.

Anyone else has this prob?

I'm not sure if it's the SD card, the device or the updates

Thanks

Dave
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the original SD Card work OK?

If it doesn't, it suggests there's a problem with the Device.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
scubanorthy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

I will try it again tonight but I am 99% sure the orginal non-upgraded SD card works fine.

The problem seems to manifest itself when I do the upgrades to latest software, which I assume sits on the SD card rather than device?

From memory it's a two-stage upgrade when I start from scratch.

I've just taken delivery of a new 2GB card as I wanted to buy the Western Europe map product, I guess this will be the latest system software too..........I don't want to spend the money if it's gonna be faulty too.

The device is less than a year old

Am I right in thinking the upgrades are SD card resident or is the hardware/firmware flashed too?

Dave
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a ttOne v2 and am using a 2GB replacement card every day, with the original TomTom card kept safely in the box. All the software (other than the linux operating system) resides on the card. I also maintain an up to date backup of the card contents on my PC.
When I first used a replacement card I used a cheap own brand one bought from My Memory. This worked fine most of the time, but I occasionally had booting problems. The only way to fix it was to format the card and copy my backup using a card reader. All would be well for a few weeks, then the problem would recur. I got fed up with this and bought a Sandisk Extreme III, which cost me a little more, and I haven't had a problem since (in over 18 months).
Maybe, if you are lucky, you won't have any trouble with your replacement card. Try it for a few weeks and see
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that what you are describing has been commented on by many others. Namely, the unit won't turn on without being connected to a power source. This assumes you are using an SD card.

The easy solution is to pop the card just so it releases a bit. (You don't have to remove it.) As soon as the unit starts to boot from the internal memory, push the card back in. The unit will switch over to continue booting from the card. (You don't have to wait for the internal memory to boot up completely.)

I'm not sure if your problem is exactly like this, but, as I said, it happens only when you are not connected to a power source.

I find it only mildly annoying. I've tried prescribed fixes using paperclip resets, but the problem still continues.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

46jimbo wrote:
I believe that what you are describing has been commented on by many others. Namely, the unit won't turn on without being connected to a power source. This assumes you are using an SD card.

That is simply not true for most v2 models. I frequently turn mine on when disconnected from a power source, and apart from the instances described above, it always started. Since buying a better quality SD card, my problems disappeared

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scubanorthy wrote:
I can't remember when , but I suspect after one of the software updates, the TomTom started not booting unless I eject the SD card.

When it's booted I put the card back in and it works fine.........annoying.

I don't know if it's the same problem but just after a software update, my OneXl would not boot up unless I removed and re-inserted the card (sound familiar Smile ).

The solution is to do a full reset. Removing and reinserting the card is a form of this as both force the device to re-read the OS from the card and not use the version in memory.
Brodit ProClip mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: