Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Kirrio Palm GPS Navigation bundle review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Kirrio Palm GPS Navigation bundle review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Kirrio Palm GPS Navigation bundle review Reply with quote

Click here for the full review... Kirrio GPS Navigation bundle for Palm PDAs review

Kirrio have released a navigation bundle for the Palm Tungsten Series PDAs.

This is a full package including a number of different mounting and powering solutions, a choice Serial or Bluetooth GPS receiver, and the Mapsonic GPS navigation software.

To read the full review click here.

If you have any comments on the review enter them below.
matty2767
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some additional features i would like to see apart from postcode support are

1. a summary of how big the resulting file is going to be so you dont have to create it only to find it wont fit on the memory card.

2. a better manual. how much memory is required on the pda to run the program. it wont work on my tungsten t but will on the t2.

3. ability to save the points of interest i have created back to the pc for backup purposes.
DaveF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Question on Euro map capability. Reply with quote

Question
Mike,
In your review you comment on the difficulty in plotting a journey across Europe. As a Newbie, it seems to me that most other products tend to come with either no Euro maps at all, or perhaps (eg TomTom) with limited detail Euro maps. So it seems that in fact, the Euro maop capability is greater with the Kirrio equipment, not less as might be assumed. Have I got this right?

Thanks and regards

DavidF
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If memory serves me correctly when using the Mapsonic software to create a route from the UK to Italy I had to do it in sections. To a degree this is the same as TomTom with European Maps if you want full road detail. I havent tried Navman yet but Navman on the Pocket PC is capable of navigating over all maps on the store card.

By far the best solution for cross Europe travelling is the Major Roads mapping products. These are available from TomTom (bundled with the country map) and Destinator (on the PocketPC) these allow you to navigat vast distances with less map detail exactly what you want to get across Europe. The downside of these maps are that on arrival at your destination you then do not have detailed street mapping.

To put it in a nutshell TomTom is better cross Europe but the Mapsonic product has fully detailed sttreet maps of Europe so is better at your destination.
madmickk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: mapsonic Reply with quote

8O
Any ideas anyone. i purchased the kirrio navigation pack, and installed the uk map on my machine in full, yet Ive tried to find my m8's address in swift grove , hartlepool, and my sisters in anthony street, easington colliery, yet cannot find them, although these streets have been there donkeys years,
help appreciated, or is the software not up to scratch??

many thanks

madmickk
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered if there are plans to update this for the new Zire 31 and Zire 72 bundles.

I asked for any feedback on these on the beginners lounge area, and have had no response.

Specifically, have the issues raised above been sorted in later versions of mapsonic ? Postcode entry, and map accuracy/currency ??

James.
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: mapsonic Reply with quote

madmickk wrote:
Ive tried to find my m8's address in swift grove , hartlepool, and my sisters in anthony street, easington colliery, yet cannot find them

I checked on Multimap.co.uk and Swift Grove isn't named there either, so maybe its just not in the general map data that all these packages use !

I assume Swift Grove is one of the culdesacs of Macaulay Road (which are shown in mapsonic - but without names), so you will have to work out which one it is and add a POI for your sisters.

As for Anthony St Easington Colliery, this one is not on multimap either, neither is it a known address on royalmail.com postcode database either ??

I assume it is one of the name streets off Crawlaw Road, but again, the streets show on Mapsonic (and Multimap), but are unnamed.

The way I find odd addresses is to use multimap to find the postcode (get postcode from royalmail.com if you only know the streetname), then pick a street nearby and find that on Mapsonic, and manually add a POI for the address - this is how I did the above.

The mapping on mapsonic is pretty good, but a fair few smaller streets and lanes are unnamed, so this works fine for me.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: