Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Medion at Aldi - Thursday 13th March 2008
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Medion at Aldi - Thursday 13th March 2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Medion at Aldi - Thursday 13th March 2008 Reply with quote

Hi All,

Long time since I last posted. The wife's little Garmin Street Pilots wheel has just about stopped working Embarassed

Aldi are selling this Medion for 120 and thought it may be worth a punt Wink

Any comments welcome - within reason Laughing

Have a look HERE - Opens in a new window.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are happy with the Navigator software then you can't go wrong. You get a lot for your money.

I hope it won't be used like in the picture though - being held by (or held up to) the driver to look at.

Sal
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a long time! The Medion's look like nice units. I have been trying to lever a review unit our of Medion UK for some time now. I wonder if this is a customised version of a known nav software package or a specific Medion solution?
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's described as 'GoPal Navigator ME 4A".

I've not seen one, but I have to say that other Medion products sold by the same chain appear to be well made and excellent value for money.

You really ought to get one for review.

Sal

Last edited by Sallyann on Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great!
How long will it take for someone to try & stick TT on it?? Laughing Laughing
Running Cameralert via Samsung S7 Edge
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would appear I need to use POI-Warner for the safety camera files, which I have used since my first Medion 9500 (Mio 168).

So have now decided to buy one. Will post back in the next couple of days with how it seems to function.
dcluckie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is the one at £120 I looked at it closely - nearly bought it

until

went to Medion website (medionshop.co.uk)- they have the following on Deal Of The Week

GoPal PNA4210 Navigation System with TMC. 4.5" Screen and FULL maps of western Europe. Comes with 2Gb Memory Card

£130 + £5 Postage - on special until Sunday - It says

First posting - hope it is all correct - hope device is good too

Safe Driving
CheshireCat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Aldi Medion Satnav Reply with quote

I have used GPS with MemoryMap Navigator and Pocket streets to tell me where I am for four years or so but I haven't used navigation software. I tried this device today. I was surprised that it used some very minor roads for a route where there was a fairly obvious main road alternative. It converted me to satnav but not on this device as even on max volume I couldn't hear it well enough - I'm stereo deaf but have good correction with digital hearing aids.
Hope this helps someone.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I purchased this new Medion MD96770 from Aldi for my wife.

It works OK. The map is more up to date than her old Garmin StreetPilot as would be expected. The Menus are very easy to navigate, and it locks on to the sats very quickly, even in the house.

I also purchased POI-Warner for it which again works. BUT, I do have an issue using my own .wav files with it. The program is POI-Warner for GoPal Navigator ME 4

I am trying to use the same files that work OK with my Medion MD95000 PDA using Medion Navigator 4 with POI-Warner.

It is strange that it will play the default Windows .wav files from the Windows directory on the unit (no matter which I try), but not my own.

Have tried placing them also in the Windows directory as well as on the SD card. POI-Warner can select them, but they do not play when there should be a warning where as the default Windows ones will !

Have tried saving them in various formats, but still no joy.

Any body else had this issue, and if so did you find the answer Exclamation
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have converted the sound files using Audio Cleaning Lab to 8 Bit format, and PaintShop Pro to convert the icon files.

Sound and Icon files now working OK.

Summary:

Icon and sound files both need to be saved in 8 Bit format to function with this version of POI-Warner.
slatyford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: aldi medion gopal satnav Reply with quote

Purchased Medion Satnav as offered 13/3/08 shows fixed speed camera's but not mobile ones in my local area, does NOT give an audio warning when approaching cam's. volume is fully up! any ideas please. Also I have poi's from sons old medion sat nav (about 3 yr old) on pc can I download them into new one and which folder(s) would I put them in. thanks for your help
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: aldi medion gopal satnav Reply with quote

slatyford wrote:
Purchased Medion Satnav as offered 13/3/08 shows fixed speed camera's but not mobile ones in my local area, does NOT give an audio warning when approaching cam's. volume is fully up! any ideas please. Also I have poi's from sons old medion sat nav (about 3 yr old) on pc can I download them into new one and which folder(s) would I put them in. thanks for your help

To use the Pocket GPS World safety cameras on it you need to purchase POI-Warner - about £23.

Can be found HERE

The version need is: POI-Warner GoPal ME 4.X

Note: if you do purchase it, the icon files .bmp and sound files .wav both have to be saved in 8 Bit format for them to work.

You can then download the ASC format safety camera files from Pocket GPS World if you are subscribed member.

Not sure why you don't get the default sounds on the unit.
slatyford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: aldi go pal Reply with quote

Thanks pocketgps had a bit think last night and did a hard reset sound now works on approach to camera's (ping), I know I should have tried that first. without getting to techno what is 8 bit format and do I need a seperate program to convert files thanks for your help
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: aldi go pal Reply with quote

slatyford wrote:
Thanks pocketgps had a bit think last night and did a hard reset sound now works on approach to camera's (ping), I know I should have tried that first. without getting to techno what is 8 bit format and do I need a seperate program to convert files thanks for your help

You can save files in many different formats (basically quality), so for images the basics are:

2 colours = 1 Bit
16 colours = 4 Bit
256 colours = 8 Bit
32K colours = 15 Bit
64K colours = 16 Bit
16 Million colours = 24 Bit

Images need to saved in 8 Bit format with the .bmp file type to work with POI-Warner.

Same with sound files, but can be mono, stereo, and a thousand other types, but again the basics are:

mono 8 Bit
stereo 8 Bit
mono 16 Bit
stereo 16 Bit etc
All in different frequencies - say 11025Hz, 22050Hz and the list goes on.

Just use the basic 11025Hz @ mono 8 Bit and save as a .wav file format.

I use PaintShop Pro 11 for images, you may be able to use Windows Paint.

For sound files I use Audio Cleaning Lab. If you are using Windows XP or before you can use the Sound Recorder. On Windows Vista its more difficult, as Sound Recorder cannot play sounds, only record them. Have not bothered exploring it to find what other usless programs are on it.

There are many Free Ware programs that can convert the files.

Just Google 'sound converters' etc.

Only my personal view, but Windows Vista is c***, just so slow, with so many poor features. No better after Service Pack One installed either.

Rant over Embarassed Laughing
slatyford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: re aldi satnav Reply with quote

Thanks once again for all your help very informative and has enabled me to think of options I will test the nav over the comming week or so under differing conditions (trips away / just on in background) and will experiment. Hopefully I will get back on line and let you know how I get on
Thanks
Slatyford

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: