Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Colorado 300
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Colorado 300
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amn1241
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im about to buy a Colorado 300 to use with the free mapping available on the net.

I have found this site:
http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

Has anyone tried these maps on a Colorado and does the contoured UK map work with the shading as the Garmin Topo maps do ?

Thanks.

amn1241
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compare the Colorado with the Oregon - Compare the level of updates - Compare the results for mapping with the recent Firmware updates.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyeQue wrote:
Compare the Colorado with the Oregon - Compare the level of updates - Compare the results for mapping with the recent Firmware updates.

The mapping he is looking at is vector based mapping - so doesn't suffer from some of the issues documented here (and elsewhere) regarding clarity of scalar (bit-map) mapping.

As the units are different (OK they share some h/ware components) comparing the firmware releases is not telling you much.

I've tried some of these on my C300 - very nice they look as well.
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
comparing the firmware releases is not telling you much.

When one unit has a firmware release on 8th December and the other unit has several firmware releases in 2009 I think it is telling us a great deal. It indicates where the level of support is for particular units. One unit is four months behind in unit progress.

Garmin have updated the Oregon firmware to help Discoverer maps and to improve battery and unit performance.

2.7 - 12/08/08-Added GB Discoverer support, marine enhancements, battery saver

2.8 - 12/12/08

2.85 - 01/21/09

2.86 - 2/3/09

2.93 - 3/10/09

2.94 - 3/25/09

2.95 - due soon

There is so much support for one unit that there is a direct email address that receives direct personal replies within 24 hours.

I have owned and posted on both units.

Some comments from the main American Colorado/Oregon forums:-

Quote:
Why do I keep reading and hearing that Garmin has abandoned the Colorado? Does this mean they will not continue to update the software? Are these just assumptions and no one really knows but Garmin? Can someone enlighten me here? Thanks

Quote:
Most of the big online outdoor retailers seem to have stopped carrying the Colorado in favor of the Oregon.

Quote:
I'm guessing Garmin will sell it for another 6-8 months, maybe up until the holidays with some really good Xmas deals but I don't see it going much further as a product line.

Quote:
another update to the Oregon software just released (2.94), again the GB Discoverer use is improved. Any chance of letting me know when/if an update is forthcoming for the Colorado and if that will help get rid of the dual road problems and poor display quality of the Discoverer series. Hate to think I've wasted £115."

amn1241
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin are still supporting and updating some of the old black and white screened etrex range, so Im sure they will continue supporting the Colorado. The Oregon is a newer product than the Colorado so is bound to have more firmware updates. Plus both units seem to be running versions of the same core software. If they fix one, I feel sure they will fix the other. Looking back at there history over the last 10 years, they have never just abandoned a product. I have just bought a Colorado mainly because I dont like the touch screen and poor visablity in direct sunlight on the Oregon. Plus the Colorado is more accurate. I doubt Im the only one still buying the Colorado. They sell well on ebay, which is always a good sign.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyeQue wrote:
Quote:
comparing the firmware releases is not telling you much.

When one unit has a firmware release on 8th December and the other unit has several firmware releases in 2009 I think it is telling us a great deal. It indicates where the level of support is for particular units. One unit is four months behind in unit progress.
[/quote]

All it is saying is that it's a new unit and they are sorting out the issues as they are reported. The C300 when launched had a similar 'flood' of minor updates for a few months.

The units may share (but I don't know exactly what) some common hardware but the firmware will be greatly different to cover that which is not common.

I'm not using Discoverer on the C300 - choosing to go the Active10 route - this was down to cost. Whole of UK @1:50k on Active 10 was £99. I don't see that I will be using 1:25k on the device as the view is too restrictive - and I still walk with paper mapping @1:25K for the 'big picture'. On our last outing a friend had his new Oregon and lake Districg discoverer mapping. Very nice - but not as clear as the Active10 when comparing 1:50k views.
travisb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a Colorado 300 for £190 (new, from Amazon) as a replacement for my venerable Etrex Venture.

Got the GB Discover map, which I'm impressed with.

One concern is the fit of the battery case. It doesn't fit snugly to the unit due to the flash card slot seal.

I did a quick test under a dripping tap, and water got into the battery area. I rang Garmin and they claimed that the tap would put too much pressure on it!

Anyone else had any issues?
Calvinb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been talk that the Colorado is being dropped by Garmin since not long after it came out as the Oregon was not far behind. It is true the Oregon (and Dakota) get more updates but they do appear for the Colorado and do move the unit on each time.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: