Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Colorado 300
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Colorado 300
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
missing_user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there a big benefit in loading the City Navigator maps as well as the TOPO? I found the basic TOPO quite good for autorouting in autoimotive profile. Is it that the roads are more up to date or anything more than that?

The Topo is about 4 years old.
CityNavigator Europe 2008 was released 11 months ago.
I would not dream of driving/navigating with TOPO.
I find very poor in Pembrokeshire and when I visit your area New Forest.
I only load to the 'internal' the areas I need! I find the contour lines confuse me.
I only load UK for 11 months of the year and then 'Hot Swap' the SD cards for Europe.[/quote]
smist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Orientation problem Reply with quote

Hi StellaMaris,

The Colorado seems to get 'confused' if it has been operated in either vertical or horizontal positions and then the position is changed whilst it is not moving. I conducted a very simple test while walking across a playing field near our house.

First I walked a short distance with the device held in the near vertical - vertical position, stopped, and then held it horizontally - result, the direction arrow on the map flipped almost 180 degrees. I then took a couple of small steps with it still held in the horizontal position and it sorted itself out. I did the same test again, but starting Horizontal and then moving it to vertical and I got the same results.

The Colorado seems to 'get used to' the plane in which it is operating and if the plane is reversed it appears to need to do some re-calculation. This calculation of the position only seems possible when it is actually moving. If it is moving, it works equally well in both Vertical and Horizontal positions.

... at least thats what I have observed.
g-o-cashers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Map orientation and compass Reply with quote

If you are using the Colorado at speeds < 10mph (16km/h) and have the electronic compass set to "Auto" you will need to hold the unit horizontal when calibrating the compass and when you are navigating on the compass and map pages. If you move the unit to a vertical position while it is on the compass page and the compass is active you'll see a "Hold Level" warning. Unfortunately you don't get the same warning if the compass is active and you aren't holding the unit horizontal on the map page. What you'll see is spinning cursors and maps.

My suggestion, turn the compass off unless you are in a situation where you cannot move and you need a heading/bearing. In that case turn the compass on, calibrate, take your bearing and then disable the compass.

GO$Rs

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Orientation problem Reply with quote

smist wrote:
The Colorado seems to get 'confused' if it has been operated in either vertical or horizontal positions and then the position is changed whilst it is not moving. I conducted a very simple test while walking across a playing field near our house.

First I walked a short distance with the device held in the near vertical - vertical position, stopped, and then held it horizontally - result, the direction arrow on the map flipped almost 180 degrees. I then took a couple of small steps with it still held in the horizontal position and it sorted itself out. I did the same test again, but starting Horizontal and then moving it to vertical and I got the same results.

The problem is compounded by the fact that successive 'fixes' can be a couple of meters apart so you get wandering and subsequent 'random' pointing of the position icon. Just rotating the device through 90 deg will register. I remember a very early experience with my first GPS unit (GPSII+) where on a walk I was getting regular rythyms of speed in the log. This turned out to be caused by swinging the unit from it's lanyard whilst walking!

You need to hold the unit horizontal for compass mode (which is nothing to do with GPS functionallity at all) because the unit works by measuring the 'dip' in the magnetic field and needs a reference plane to get it right.

I turn the compass off on my C300 as it is a major drain on batteries. The process of measuring the Earth's magnetic field reuires a small magnetic field to be created within the unit. When walking I have a standard compass with me in any event.
Facade
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would appreciate the option to force the compass to magnetic only not auto when walking slowly or standing still.

I suspect this would work much better when geocaching.
cardiff_gareth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
My wife is wanting to buy me a new walking GPS for my birthday, I'm using at the mo a Garmin GPS12, old school I know but it does the job!
Anyway, I have a question, with the built in maps that come with it, are they any good as I see members have city navigator mapsource, topo etc ??
Also I'm confused about the models, from what my wife can gather there are 2 versions of this GPS available, one with maps installed and the other without ??
I'm a bit worried that I am going to get this and then be disappointed I need to pay £££'s for new maps ??

Please help !!
cardiff_gareth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Sorry to ask another question !
On Amazon the Colorado 300 with the topo GB maps is £399.00

Are the Topo maps like Ordance Survey maps or is memory map better ??

Also does the automobile mode with speed cameras etc come with the unit as standard and what else will Topo maps give me ??

Cheers again !

Gareth
cardiff_gareth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Garmin-Colorado-300-GPS-With-Topo-V2-Maps_W0QQitemZ220273647623QQihZ012QQcategoryZ156955QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is it any good, seems very cheap ??
cardiff_gareth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to bump the thread again but my wife wants to get this for my birthday which is on the 31st so if possible it would be nice to know the below questions so we can order tonight if its good ...........

don't shout at me for being pushy but time is of the essence as they say Laughing

Would you say the Amazon £399 price for the Colorado 300 and Topo maps is a good price or expensive. I read a review earlier on about the grey imports that are flooding into the country as well ???
cardiff_gareth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well its ordered now
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cardiff_gareth wrote:
Hi,
My wife is wanting to buy me a new walking GPS for my birthday, I'm using at the mo a Garmin GPS12, old school I know but it does the job!
Anyway, I have a question, with the built in maps that come with it, are they any good as I see members have city navigator mapsource, topo etc ??
Also I'm confused about the models, from what my wife can gather there are 2 versions of this GPS available, one with maps installed and the other without ??
I'm a bit worried that I am going to get this and then be disappointed I need to pay £££'s for new maps ??

Please help !!

Sorry - I know you have already bought it.

You get a basic base-map (Europe and Africa) with the (UK) unit. Some major roads, major cities etc. To really get the best out of it you will need other maps. What you need is up to you. The Topo UK V2 is OK, it does have good road mapping and a suprising amount of detail (e.g. waterways - very small field ditches are plotted - at least in my area of Cheshire.) However the footpaths are somewhat lacking - at least compared to OSGB. It's no substitute for 1:25K OSGB mapping though - which is a shame.
cardiff_gareth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, many thanks for the reply Thumbs Up
fully appreciate it

I haven't got any maps yet, just ordered the unit.
I'm primerially using the unit for walking and geocaching as I have a Nuvi 250 for the road. I've seen the Garmin Topo UK DVD maps on ebay so i'm following them.

Am I right in thinking the maps get layered onto the screen, so you have the basemap, then the Topo on top of that and if you other maps then they go on top of that as well ?

I went onto the Ordnance Survey website and counldn't see OSGB? or is that paper maps ie. land ranger / explorer OS maps ??

Does this unit support memory map or Anquet for mapping ?

I'm so bloody confused with the mapping side of it !!!!

All help is fully appreciated
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry.. probably my reply confused you!

No - unfortunately you can't display OS mapping from any source on the C300.

When you have multiple maps loaded then you select which one you want to view. If you select more than one you will probably not see everything on all the maps - this is what I found when experimenting. I tend to have the TOPO UK loaded for the area I am in. I also have a nuvi for road navigation so I am not too concerned about this mode of use on the C300.
Garminage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am waiting for the next generation of Colorado 300. The actual edition of Colorado is rubbish, it is not reliable, it has lots of hardware and software problem. I hope in one year time Garmin will sort all them out. Otherwise im going to purchase 60CSx.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garminage wrote:
I am waiting for the next generation of Colorado 300. The actual edition of Colorado is rubbish, it is not reliable, it has lots of hardware and software problem. I hope in one year time Garmin will sort all them out. Otherwise im going to purchase 60CSx.

What makes you think there will be a different version of the C300? They have released the Oregon series - which could be seen as the upated Colorado.

The original firmware did have a lot of issues - but in true Garmin fashion they got these ironed out fairly quickly. I'm not aware of any hardware issues - my C300 is still working well and I expect it to do so for a good few years yet. I now have an Active10 - which gives better mapping than the C300 (the OS mapping now available is OK but suffers from being displayed on a small screen).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: